Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Are open pod filter mods legal in qld?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by nettles6, Jan 6, 2011.

1. hey everyone!

Im currently working on a 1992 cb250. looking to add a few cafe racer bits.

Just wondering if anyone knows if its legal to have a pod filter connected to the carbie (no airbox)?

Ive done some searching and havent been able to find a queensland motorcycle specific answer. If anyone knows id be mighty appreciative!

2. Dunno the answer nettles, but I'm sure I've seen the odd HD around Sydney with a pod filter?
    A question for you though: Do you get any kind of performance boost, or is it a cosmetic thing? I love the look too, but I've always imagined they'd get REAL dirty, real quick?
    (OK, so that's 2 questions...)
  3. Nitekreeper - what mods are allowed depends on what year the vehicle was made and what ADRs it has stamped on the compliance plate. Pod filters can improve performance at peak revs, but the trade off is usually reduced performance at lower revs (and less "useability").

Fairly sure pod filters are only legal on vehicles made prior to 1989, since that's when the emissions regs were tightened.
  4. pod filters give more at high and less at low revs. planning on rejetting the carbs and removing the airbox. so with proper tune and increased airflow around the filter should provide a little more.

Its primarily a visual mod. Plans to remove the airbox, relocate the fuses, CDI unit and indicator relays to the trunk near the rear light. investigating moving the battery that one requires a little more thought tho :p
  5. Thanks both. Like I said, always wondered about them...
  6. There are no emission regs for bikes in Australia beyond noise restrictions and a basic requirement not to make visual smoke.

Pod filters should be OK apart from the possibility that removal of the airbox will put you over the permitted noise levels.

Pods will certainly require a carb rejet. It's possible to get this right, but most people don't, judging by the number of podded bikes I've ridden that have been gutless, plagued with flatspots and suffered apalling fuel consumption.

Pods also don't generally like rain very much. They can bung up sufficiently to stop your engine in a good downpour (talking here about mesh K+N types, foamies may be better). A little ingenuity with pop bottles (cheapo ratbike option) or sheet aluminium (classy engineering option) to make rain deflectors helps.
  7. So the part in the EPA guidelines for modifying vehicles where it states:
    Doesn't apply to bikes?
  8. Not nationally, no. Check the ADRs. And, given that Federal legislation generally overrides State legislation when there is a discrepancy, I'd be surprised if your state EPA could make it stick against a bike.
  9. well, i know when it comes to cars, pod filters are legal so long as they're compartmented from the engine by way of an airbox.
    so i guess on a bike that would be cause for ram-air induction!
  10. thanks everyone.

Ive had a look through the queensland transport books and couldnt find anything specific to induction systems.

The EPA guidelines are helpful.

Looks like ill have to get the bike rego'ed with the old airbox and airfilter on.

Thanks everyone for their input!
  11. Certainly easier to get it rego'ed stock, and then make modifications.
    Just make sure you post up some pictures when it's done :).
  12. Pod filters are for poofs--put a set of these on.

13. Nice as open bellmouths look and sound, I gave up changing piston rings and valve guides for fun 15 years ago. These days I like my engines to have at least some protection from airborne grit and shit, particularly in a dusty and abrasive place like WA.
  14. as amazing as that looks i need some kind of air filter on there. the bike when its done will be doing about 10000 kays a year so its not going to have a showpony existence and will need to do about 5000 between services.

If the bike were for pure performance then it would be a consideration.