Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Are modern bikes E10 (ethanol blended petrol) compatible?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kloozo, May 10, 2006.

1. Does anybody know where I can find out if my motorcycle (2004 Suzuki Bandit 1200) can cope with E10 in the long term? Or will I be risking porous plastic tubing and other corrosive problems associated with ethanol blended fuels?

2. There is another thread on this somewhere in here, but im running late for work, so your going to have to search for it :p

But in a nutshell.................. ethanol is BAD for all makes/models of bikes

3. is there any mods you can do to bikes to make them more accepting of ethanol?

i personally think it's a great idea making things cope with ethanol... sugar cane is far more renewable than crude oil... (sry slightly off topic)

but yeah, are there any adjustments?
  4. Europe has been using ethanol blended fuels for a while now so I believe many of the bikes produced in Europe will cope with it - but as mentioned by Tenoq probably not a good idea in a Japanese bike, especially if it's running a carburetted engine. Spongesam to run a bike safely on ethanol blended fuel it really needs to be fuel-injected - ethanol, or rather the water it contains, will corrode the metal used in most carbs. Probably also need to replace all the fuel lines and fittings to prevent corrosion. Virtually any petrol engine will run on E5/10 fuel - the real question is for how long (not something which seems to bother the Government).
  5. Thanks for posting the link Tenoq. Just the info I was looking for.

Working in the biotechnology field myself, it seems a shame we (bikers) can't really exploit some of the advantages of ethanol...just yet.
  6. You can get a list from the vacc for all cars and bikes that can and can not take it . I have a copy but can not lay my hands on it , I know the Buell is ok to use it.
  7. spongesam said: "i personally think it's a great idea making things cope with ethanol... sugar cane is far more renewable than crude oil"

Your right up to a point. Unfortunately sugar cane, along with cotton are two of the most damaging crops to the environment and so are "renewable" at a "non renewable" cost.
  8. The use of sugar cain to produce ethenol is a creation of the Australian cain growers lobby, just as Ethenol produced in the US is promaraly made from corn.
    Both of these crops are absolutly crap at producing Ethanol, Sugar beat is one of the best ethanol producing crops but no one grows it for normal domestic sweeteners so there is no one lobbying to use it.

In brazil they use Sugarbeat, and they now don't import any oil, they are able to suppliment there own stocks with Ethanol
  9. even at 10% they can't make enough ethanol, so calling it renewable is laughable. Use pulp while we have it, i know i will.
  10. Actually the vast majority of ethanol produced in this country (I think around 80-90%) is made from wheat starch, by the Manildra group. Some would say that gives that company something of a monopoly over ethanol in fuel, an illegal one at that (though I'm sure the several hundred thousand dollar "donation" they make each year to the Liberal party has no affect on Government policy).
  11. [sarcasm]
    Nooo.. I couldn't believe that...
    We live in a democracy, where the government is always looking out for what is best for we the Australian citizens...
  12. I had seen on the tube the other night about Brazil I think it was :?

Anyway they forced the car manufactures to release cars that could run 100% on Ethenol. The country is now not dependent on overseas oil any more. Claims were also being made that it puts out more HP and less emissions.

Now the servos dish out MORE Ethenol fuel than regular fuel at teh bowser.

Meh sounds interesting :grin:

Cheers :cool:
  13. My GSXR1000K6 owners manual states that I can run 10% Ethenol fuel in it.

As Service Manager for the Australian importers of Benelli, Sachs, TGB & Thumpstar, I approve of 10% Ethenol for our models.
  14. Given that Australia's ethanol is supposedly actually going to be made from wheat rather than sugar cane, how would that stack up?
    (And how is this going to help struggling sugar farmers???)
    I've heard opinion that in the total production/consumption cycle, ethanol is no better (or worse) greenhouse-wise than fossil fuel, but I wouldn't know.
    I'm just hoping that I get information, and a choice if it doesn't suit my vehicle.

15. The traditional method of yielding ethanol has been by generating it from crops that have high contents of sugars/carbohydrates (sugar beat and wheat).

Recently with the aid of biotech breakthroughs, enzymes have been produced that can break down cellulose and lignin (the hardy material in plants) to ethanol. Because cellulose is so abundant in all plants, the advantage is that virtually all crops and all parts of plants can be used to generate ethanol (literally from prairie switchgrass and wood chips to corn husks and other agricultural waste).

What is really interesting (at least for me... :) ) is that given the enormous quantity plants grown for food and other commercial needs it is conceivable that this will one day cover our energy requirement.

The big advantages of ethanol is that:

- It will run in most modern combustion engines without any significant modification (who really wants an electric engine in their future motorcycle???)

- Carbon dioxide (greenhouse gas) is recycled. Carbon dioxide coming from exhausts is used as food for photosynthesis in plants.

- And price! In 2003 and 2004 Brazilian ethanol was selling 45% less per litre than gasoline.