Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Are indicators missing a lens considered roadworthy?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by corvus, Jul 22, 2009.

1. I've lost the orange indicator cover on one of my front indicators. It still works, but because of missing the cover it blinks white instead of orange. I'm going for my Ps test on Saturday. Would my bike be roadwothy with the missing cover? I think you can't have a white light facing behind you, but not sure about front indicators.

2.  Top
  3. Not roadworthy, definite fail. For your own safety fix it asap, and b4 going anywhere near an inspector.

4. Yup, pretty sure indicators MUST be yellow/orange.

5. Apart from it not emitting the correct colour, the missing lense is a def FAIL.

6. Definate fail
    1 indicators must be amber not white
    2 the light assembly must not allow entry of water or condensation
    3 the lens must not be faded cracked or crazed
    4 the must be no sharp edges
    Don't think you have much alternative but to fix it or do a mod and fit some new ones :)

7. Bear in mind with your replies, folks, that the OP is in NSW; I'm pretty sure quik blat that you are quoting from the Victorian regulations?

8. Either way, grab one from a wreckers & sort it out. It's common sense. :grin:

9. Theres also the ADRs, which all states adhere to (I believe).

all ADRs: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx

Specific one on lamps:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/previewlodgmentattachments/AD2C4876E0BF1F13CA2571B100167EA4/$file/ADR%2053-00%20%5BFINAL%20FRLI%5D.htm

There's a lot more, but really I think what people have said above is correct for NSW as it is for Victoria.

It needs to be a certain colour and brightness. Coppers might not pull you up on it, but then they might. They might give you a warning or they might book you.

Personally, I'd get it fixed.

10. FAIL and next time address a legal question in the correct forum please.

11. fail or not, why would you want to ride around without a indicator cover... just asking for the popo to annoy you.

lock thread?