Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Are helmet covers legal or not?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by m.is.for.michael, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Hi.
    I saw a post on Facebook for an Animal (I.e. from the muppets) cover which goes over the helmet.
    Kinda like this one:https://helmetdevil.com/covers/animal?zenid=d5db25eae2e9208849dd501e8a54e780

Anyone know if they're legal to wear while riding in Australia? And would it vary by jurisdiction?

2. I would say no, but I'm no legal expert.

In my opinion, they will probably impede vision, block air flow, create extra wind drag, move around at high speeds (I don't see how they would fasten to the helmet itself, they're just like a big sock you pull over your helmet).

At best, they could probably be used at a function for walking around in for a laugh but i would expect you'd be fined using something like that on an open road.

Cheers
    Juz

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 Oldmaid, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    I think not legal but also not an expert...but why would you really want to...but I do always smile when I see this guy derbing along the M2 and he gets off at reserve rd on his 125 with a furry helmet cover with bear ears flopping about! He wears an open face helmet and it looks like it ties under his chin. I have seen these worn OS and is a very popular item worn by riders in a lot of SE Asian countries.
    Didn't someone post up that they got cautioned for having a Santa hat over their helmet??

4. OldmaidOldmaid is spot on.......... the question is 'why'????

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Doubt its illegal. What would the charge be? Looking like a goose?

Suggest you don't have any "certain substances" on you when you ride with it on. It may attract attention you don't want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. You get bikes with antlers for Christmas, and thats ok , but anything that could / might reduce your ability to see, hear etc would be frowned upon i'd imagine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I have an elmo one that I've been wearing for the last few years. I get pulled up sometimes and the police have had a good laugh and asked about visibility and where I got it, but never been fined/cautioned.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Okay leavin that one well alone...Mr LionzLionz ?

9. I know a few guys that wear them every event ride that we do(pink ribbon, toy run etc). They've never been stopped by the police that lead the ride or manage traffic.

10. Yep I get that...but on a commute to work or a twisty run??? I mustn't be hard wired for that kinda caper...:)
    Gotta love diversity!(y)

11. But you noticed them so objective achieved. They are either attention whoring because they can or they want to be noticed for safety reasons.

We tend to notice things that are a bit different or out of place. You might see other riders wearing normal helmets and immediately forget about them but the one with the cookie monster head is memorable and your awareness of them has been increased.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Distracted more like it...wondering WTF and whhhhhy?:p

13. A couple of rides I have been on where other riders have had them. I does get them noticed, it cracks kids up, they love it. Parents will generally point the rider out to kids. Harmless I would say and just a bit of fun. If visibility is not impeded then I can't see what police could say. They are not affixed to the helmet which is the justification for anti GoPro etc attention from police.

14. cjvfrcjvfr - Next level that bad boy!

20101029_IMG_4140.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. An example of ATGATT, they are never specific on what all the gear is?

16. Chris this is true.. and his suit might be Kevlar lined :sneaky:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. If helmet covers are ok, a camera attached to the helmet cover would ok too?

18. I would say yes but some police seem to disagree, their opinion is that anything "affixed" to the helmet may damage its integrity and therefore makes it non compliant. The other often cited reason is that it does not comply with the requirements for extensions from the helmet. The design criteria says that an extension on the helmet can catch during a slide and thus subject the neck to rotation.

See the thread Fined for having a GoPro on Helmet many including myself say this is a crock of sh**

19. The ears or nose of the cover would stick out more than the cam, but good luck arguing that by the side of the road

20. What do you mean? That dog is only wearing a collar.

• Like Like x 1