Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Are hadlebar attached windscreens worth it?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Jomac, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Wondering how other riders felt about windscreens that are attached to handlebars.

Thought they would make things more comfortable but a friend says that when they are attached to handlebars that they will interfere with steering.

Would love to hear any other thoughts.

2. I would be guessing that it will resist countersteering and ultimately steer slower at any decent speed. Unless, of course, you've got a really good crosswind or ride past a truck. Then you might get some fantastic steering out of it. :LOL:

Dunno mate, I've never ridden with one. Sounds dodgy to me though.

3. I put an Eagle screen on my naked Hyo GT250 and it made a difference. I still get a lot of wind on me but its not as hard on my chest so my arms aren't as tired.

I found no difference with steering or handling at all. For $120 no complaints.

4. You mean like this???
    Pq4jfUK0.

I've never noticed any detrimental effects, either on handling or steering. It weighs next to nothing, and on a long trip (or even a short one, come to think of it) it's worth its weight in gold.

And it only cost $199 :).

5. So it is worth next to nothing in gold? :? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :wink:

Will

6. I don't know whether to bid, or put up the price :rofl:.

7. Got them

Thought would give them a go and forked out the 200 dollars.

Went for a country run (From Mandurah around Margaret River and return about 540 KM) mild weather but lots of country twists and often 110km speed limit with some mild wind buffeting.

I think on such an upright riding position the screen eases a lot of pressure on the shoulders and arms.

Added footboards also eased leg aches.

No regrets for me. Except maybe the hangover after going on that wine tasting tour (had bus driver).

aV5kpB6S.

8. The work fine unless the conditions are very windy/gusty... if it is too gusty then the wind can catch the screen at an angle and push on the bars causing a weave or wobble.

It generally isn't bad and the trade off for better touring is more than worth it IMO.

9. I've got one on both the America (bar mount) and a headlight mount on the GS5hundy. The one on the GS works fine, looks crap but does the business. The one on the America I've had nothing but probs with it. I can't get it to sit right. But my old man (who's shorter) reckons it's great. Never noticed any handling difference with either.

10. Paul, what type of screen is that, and is it easily removable?

11. My Multistrada comes standard with a handlebar attached windscreen. In fact, the whole top part of the fairing is attached to the handlebar.

It has never effected steering or handling. In cross winds or buffeting wind, it is the bike body that catches the wind, not the windscreen.

The windscreen itself isn't brilliant in stopping the buffeting, as it directs the wind to just below my chin, but at $1.60+ you can tuck down behind it and get a nice smooth ride. :grin:

12. I got one like Pauls and it was the best $200 I have spent ever. :grin:

Mine can be taken off in 20 seconds ,It got 2 knobs you just undo and its adjustable every which way you like .
    Takes a few goes to get it just right ,so the wind doesn't hit you in the face and chest ,but once you set it up its right for when ever you ride.
    Never had any trouble with winds or trucks passing .

13. There are two types available; the type Sled talks about was the first one I had, and it indeed has two large plastic knobs that you can just unscrew, and remove the screen, leaving the brakets in place.

Around $200 from MCAS; http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?section=1&prodid=433

I now have a GIVI of the same sort; I bought it from 1300Kawasaki in Ringwood, Melbourne on the last trip there. It too can be removed, but you need an allen key, so it's a bit more fiddly than the MCAS one, although the same price.