Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Are bike LCD dials and displays backlit?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Spud Gun, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Just curious as to whether LCD dials and displays are backlit for riding at night. They must be hard to see without being backlut (like the iPods blue backlight).

2. yeah mate they are mine's orange looks cool

3. So is it always on (like the bikes lights)? Does the light need replacing or is that not an issue?

4. Yes they're always on, yes they can be replaced if by chance they burn out. Usually a non issue.

5. Cool. Thanks!

6. There are two different solutions - one is the actual numbers/letters etc are coloured and glow (take most vcr etc displays for example). These dont neccesarily need a seperate backlight as the display itself is 'lit'

The other is black numbers/letters with a backlight. I can tell you, having driven a car with a bike speedo with black letters and no backlight that you cant see a thing at night. These absolutely need a backlight for this reason.

Still, I cant imagine the backlight being a common item to fail.

Cheers,

Andrew.