Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Are backpacks an injury risk in an accident?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Al_Cam, Sep 9, 2016.

1. So I got a new bike and my Kriega tail bag doesn't sit well on the 'Sports bike tail cover" look rear half of the seat so I've been riding with it slung over the shoulder and a waist strap. works nicely and has the added advantage of no lost time fiddling around with the four little hooks. I've been planning how to make some sort of frame to attach the Kriega securely to the bike and then thought why bother? then I wondered if you have an off and land on your back the added lump may cause an injury.

Anyone had or know of anyone who has had such a problem?

2. not if it's full of marshmallows...

seriously I suppose it depends on what you carry in your backpack and the style you fall off in..
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. I think it's a valid concern. I was using an oversized messenger back prior to my current backpack, and did have a minor crash with it. I rolled several times along a rocky area beside the road and I'm pretty sure the large bag covering my back helped cushion me from the rocks.

4. I don't have a tailbag but often ride with a backpack. I guess it depends on what you're carrying (a laptop?). if it's mainly soft stuff it won't really matter. the road will probably be harder than what's in the backpack so not sure how much affect it will have.

if we are preoccupied with coming off then maybe riding isn't the best option as the potential for injury from a fall is high. I don't know whether you need to add backpack contents to the list of 'what ifs'.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Very much so, go and discuss with any Dr/Nurse in an emergency dept at any hospital.
  6. I can't ever recall seeing a significant injury that I was able to attribute to a backpack being worn during a motorbike prang although other docs might have cone across sonething, so that just reflects my personal experience.

Having said that, I haven't found any literature that gives good evidence of an injury association, but that may mean it just hasn't been investigated. I haven't come across any post-mortem or coroners reports that would suggest a link either.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Lots of things have the potential to cause injury in an accident. Some accidents see some freakish outcomes.

Pens in your breast pocket, your mobile phone, keys could all potentially increase an injury, as can road furniture, the only tree for 3 klms or that barbed wire fence you just rode through after that cow appeared from out of nowhere!.

Falling awkwardly, being run over by other vehicles may also increase your chance of hurting yourself.

Best thing to do is not get yourself in the position where you end up in an accident. Ultimately, that may involve staying home instead of riding a dangerous murdercycle!

How much risk are you prepared to accept to live your life on the terms you deem satisfactory?

Ill stick with riding a bike thanks!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Whatever you choose to carry stuff, make sure it isn't the cause of an accident. I see commuters with messenger bags flapping in the breeze. A sudden stop could see it sliding around the front and fouling the controls.
    Whatever you use make sure it is secure.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I use a dainese backpack with a built in armadillo type back protector. or a man bag over one shoulder depending on what I'm carrying.
  10. Anything that sticks out and can catch on things elevates your injury risk in a crash. How much? Probably not much, but it's going to be non-zero.

Hard and heavy objects in there will also elevate your risk (and don't even think about carrying anything actually sharp), but, again, probably not that much in any real sense. That said, I did used to know someone who landed on their back with a bagful of textbooks and split their sternum as a result, where their ribcage sorta folded around the bag on impact. Nasty, but probably something of a freak.

Bottom line is, be sensible about it and there are bigger things to worry about.

Personally I prefer not to wear a backpack on a bike, but that's down to comfort and ease of getting it on and off, both of which become bigger considerations as one gets older and less flexible in the spine and shoulders. Like many things I prefer not to do, I'll still do it when the necessity arises.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Its not just what you carry i it. Its the fact that it makes you tumble
  12. I assume you did try attaching the tail bag at 90 degrees to the normal in line position? I have the 30 & 20 Lt Kriega, they both sit best individually or in combination, across the tail rather than in line.
  13. Off to a game of Chubby Bunny?

I supposes the issue has way too many variables to give a definitive answer. Yet having a projection attached to you may increase the chance of tumbling or catching on something & statically increasing the chance of injury. Then as some have said if it contains something hard that adds a potentially injurious item in close proximity to you. The Kriega bag in question is a 30 litre. Most of the time it contains change of clothes for the day, lunch in plastic bags, external HDD & on the very rare occasion a laptop. When worn like a courier bag I use I tight waist strap which keeps it around the back and up off the pillion seat which is a few inches higher than the pilot seat. This be the seat of the RC390:

[​IMG] The pillion is rounded & tapered. (As an aside I'm amazed that KTM found a wood that looks just like upholstery vinyl to make the front seat from). The pillion is tapered to the rear and rounded. The Kriega has a non-slip web on the base which had so much friction on my old Yamaha that one day I rode about 3km from the CBD without attaching it and it only moved when I braked. On the KTM it slides around. I did fit four webbing loops under the seat & tried the Kriega on the pillion but it slid in every direction no matter how much I tightened the straps. One day i got home to find one clip had slipped off. I do prefer riding without any luggage on my back. Mr FlibbleMr Flibble I know about the OEM range of luggage but I find the Kriega's expandability convenient. It's 100% waterproof and slinging it over the shoulder when getting off the bike is very convenient. The there‚Äôs the Ventura range of frames & bags. But I was thinking of fabricating a steel rectangular frame around the outside of the pillion to put attachments for the Kriega in the ideal location. Would like a bit like a pillion handle. that licence plate holder goes under the seat to a steel plate under the front of the pillion with four bolts which would make a nice mounting point without modifying the bike.

Also discovered in Friday with my first ride on the RC390 in the rain that it needs a mudguard! With that tapering pillion, the tops of the seats, my back & bag were covered in mud & grit from the road. Even the compartment under the pillion cover had mud in it. That's also where the air intake is. There is one available from India. But well, I just don't like it:

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. I had to google that hahahaaaa...:giggle:
  15. Me too. I found the result pretty disappointing :(
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Smeggin' hell. What were you expecting?
  17. Interesting question.
    Personally I prefer not wearing one as if I fall off my objective is to roll and not get snagged on things.
    I'm normally carrying laptops, cameras and tools with me and wouldn't want those pressed into my back in a crash.
  18. Actually its better not to roll. Its better to slide which the backpack prevents.

Rolling just means your arms are getting flung around hitting biumen.
    • Like Like x 1