Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Are all these surveys about making the world a better place....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ..... or just finding another way to control the sheep, and probably make money :evil:

We've got news.com.au shrieking about a supposed national obesity epidemic, http://www.news.com.au/technology/d...s-killing-itself/story-e6frfro0-1226220222732 the constant harping about climate change (resulting in the tax we were never going to have) and now Sydney Councils are banning alcohol from the foreshores on New year's Eve because, by their own admissions 'just a few' get drunk and 'spoil it for the rest'.
  2. Paul, have you ever heard of push polling?

Most surveys and polls and requests for information have some kind of agenda. The more honest ones are at least fairly open about it.
  3. You should have made this thread a poll.
  4. joke of the week :LOL:
  5. The old political maxim of never asking a question that you don't know (or in this case, design) the answer to. It's impossible to eliminate bias from any survey, so I do agree that surveys have become an instrument of covert manipulation.
    Never participate in any survey that does not declare it's interests and objectives.

(Credit for avoiding personal bias in the last part of your comment, BTW.)
  6. "Yes Minister" and great ABC series "Grass Roots" showed that concept very well :LOL:

But this obesity thing, just for example. Sure when you drive around you see lots of really fat people, there's no denying that. But I wonder if we notice them more because they are being demonised in the media because governments of all persusaions are panicking about the failure of Medicare and the costs associated with medical care, or whether they were there all along????
  7. The rise of the neo-puritans has concerned me for a decade or more. I have to admit though, I wouldn't have expected Paul to be the one to comment on it, albeit obliquely :D.
  8. I don't think puritanism has anything to do with the obesity issue, or the climate change issue. And honestly I don't think it's got anything to do with the booze ban on New Year's Eve either. The Mayor of North Sydney was on radio this morning explaining the reasons and the glaring statement that it cost the Council "half a million dollars" for security etc for the night, tipped the hand, in my opinion. I think it's about containing costs; I don't think they care a tinker's damn about the comfort of people coming to see the fireworks.
  9. So they won't need the Security now?

Might as well take along some drinks.
  10. They create on online survey so people will visit the website to vote and then numerous times to check the result no matter how loaded the question.

This weeks questions is.... Are You happy With Melbourne Taxis?

So once they recive an extra stack of hits on their site they can turn around to the advertisers and say "we get XXXXXX amount of hits everyday' and charge more for advertising.

it is all about the $$$