Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Araldite on Pitted forks?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Porchy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. G'day guys,

I have read on several forums that a somewhat bodgey but equally effective way of dealing with pitting on my forks is to smooth them off, apply araldite or superglue to the pits and then wet n dry them flat again.

As I am on a budget for the fix and new forks/re-hardchroming is out of the question at present, can anyone tell me if they have done this and whether or not it works? If so, what are your experiences with the "repairs" longevity?

2. Longevity is going to be limited by the fact that epoxy degrades over time with exposure to sunlight (UV). The best long-term fix short of re-chroming would be to fit some rubber gaiters over the forks and pack them with grease (which is what they used before hard chroming).
  3. I would think that a metal putty like JB weld would work a lot better then glue. However, befor I did that, I would be finding out just how much it would cost for a propper repair such as re cromeing or purchasing replacement parts at a wreaker or new if avaliable
  4. Thanks for the replies guys. I tried chasing replacements from a wrecker and was told that a set of forks would set me back $450. Somewhat more than I can reasonably cough up at the moment.
    Where can I get JB Weld from? Is it any good?
    Would fitting Gaiters after the Araldite be of any use in improving longevity in cutting out the UV factor?
  5. I think you might need to seriously ask yourself whether you can actually afford to be riding at all.
  6. Yes. But if you're going to fit gaiters why waste time with filling and sanding? Even just a thin layer of grease will be just as effective at inhibiting rust, provided of course it's protected against picking up dirt and grit.
  7. Appreciate the comment mate. Thanks I shall take that on board as I am sure you will take on board the fact that I am asking for guidance from other people who may have been in a similar situation, not antagonistic comments from someone who may well have a cheque book bike.

(Sorry but sounds a lot like the comments made by people I know in the car scene who have chequebook cars)

8. BTW thanks for your assistance so far jd
  9. Araldite is a VERY short term fix mainly used by dodgy sellers to avoid obvious oil leaks from forks, it's not suitable for medium term use.

About the only thing you can do is grease your forks on a regular basis and fit gaiters if you can't afford to fix it.

You can get cheap aftermarket trail bike fork gaiters on ebay.
  10. Thanks mate. I will probably go down the gaiters and grease track for now then and try to get a little longer out of them.
  11. What's the bike by the way?
  12. Suzuki VL 250. Just a baby cruiser to get me through for a couple of years until I upsize. All the more reason to not want to spend copious amounts on fixing up an "in the mean time" bike. I got onto Franks Forks in the states and they don't do them because apparently the bike was/is not common over there.
    You wouldn't know of another bike with the same fork tubes would you?
  13. Just measure the fork diameter and look for gaiters/boots for that size.
    At least with a cruiser gaiters won't look out of place, in fact they can actually make the bike look better (not quite as true if you fit them to a GSXR).
  14. "Chequebook bike", eh? LOL, I ride a VFR, considered by some to be the Honda Accord of motorcycles.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad about your lack of financial wherewithal, I was merely suggesting that if you are unable to afford keeping a bike in what most people would think of as a basic state of repair, perhaps you ought not to ride until you can afford to do so.

Please tell me that you can at least afford third party property damage insurance?
  15. They are seriously wrong!

It's actually the Toyota Corolla of motorcycles :bolt:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Fully comp Rainbow.

Chequebook bike does not refer to the expense of the bike so much as the attitude of the rider where getting any dirt under their fingernails is a no no and hence all repairs are trusted to the at times questionably trustworthy mechanic whose job is made a lot easier by simply replacing parts rather than fixing them.

Wasn't meaning to start a fracas, just met a lot of people in the car scene who come across with similar comments and no actual help as a means of expressing their expertise on a subject rather than offering assistance because they wouldn't know a piston from a pushrod and merely let/pay others do the job for them, instead of being classic Aussies and having a go.
    I completely understand where you are coming from but when I have read of "fixes" done by others that go against today's throw away society I figure it is worth seeking advice from those who have done it to see how and if it works rather than throw away hard earned.
    If it can't be done effectively, then I will do as you suggest and remain off the bike until such time as it can be properly afforded.

17. Had some minor pitting on the forks of the vfr which I wet & dry'd smooth when replacing fork seals. They were still good 20000 k's later.

Its not the pitting thats the problem; the issue is that pitted forks can cause fork seals to leak.

I've heard of using superglue as well. Do it, keep riding and watch your seals (which you should be doing anyway).
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JB weld is bloody good stuff, you can get it at Jaycar for not very much, it sticks to everything, I have JB weld on a good pair of trousers and for the life of me it will not come out, even the professional dry cleaners said there's no way they can get it off.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I've used araldite in the past. It works fine for a couple of years at least. Main reason for filling in the pits is to stop the sharp edges from chewing up your fork seals. Grease and gaiters will keep further corrosion at bay but it won't keep your damping oil in without giving the seals a decent surface to run on.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks for the info guys. I might give it a go. I have a couple of weeks off soon so that will give me time to strip the forks down, clean them up properly and try it out. Gaiters and grease as well as the bodgey fix and some elbow grease and new fork and dust seals. Fingers crossed.
    As noted, once finances improve they may well be replaced for new ones, but two kids a missus and two classic cars as well as the bike means that the bucks need to stretch a little further despite doing as much as possible myself.