Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

aprillia rs125

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by N00b, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Hi Guys,
    im new to motorbikes and im looking to purchase my first bike! :grin:

pretty much im loooking at the apprillia rs125, but being a 2 stroke engine, im worried about maintainence. just had a few general questions about them.

how often do they need to serviced and how much do they cost?

i have also heard they are much less reliable than 4 strokes.

um.. one more thing, ive noticed alot of 2 strokes have rebuilds, was wondering how much it would cost if this situation came up for me in the future?

Thanks in advance... :LOL:
  2. Hi Mate, hopefully I can give some input as I just bought a new RS125 for my wife.

Service intervals are every 4,000km and at 12,000kms they do a rebuild. A service is around the $300-$350 mark depending on what they have to do.

A lot have rebuilds because it is done frequently as mentioned above. Basically every 12,000km so don’t be concerned if it’s been rebuilt it’s just how these bikes work. A rebuild will be around $1200-$1500 or so.

I can’t really comment on the reliability to much as I haven’t owned a 2-smoke long term. The Cagiva Mito I learned on never skipped a beat. The RS125 is going well but then again it’s a brand new bike and I would expect it to run well anyway. Like most things, if it’s maintained properly it will be fine but as the maintenance is costly I wouldn’t be surprised if some owners neglect their bike and then complain it’s broken blah blah blah.

So be aware that if you plan to do a decent amount of kms that it will be fairly costly to maintain. If you have the cash, great! If you don’t, I wouldn’t suggest buying a 2-smoke as it won’t be forgiving if you don’t maintain it properly.

For a learner, it is much harder to ride vs something like a CBR. However, like anything you adapt and it becomes an extremely fun and IMO a far more rewarding bike to ride.
  3. i don't really subscribe to the '2 strokes are high maintenance and unreliable' BS. If they are setup well and tuned properly the only real maintenance is changing spark plugs every 2-3000km and topping up the oil resevoir with quality synthetic 2 stroke oil (Motul 710 2T for eg) oh and you'll need to warm it up for 5mins or so when it's cold and stay out of the powerband for the first couple of mins of riding.

the 'problem' with the RS is not that it's a 2 stroke, but rather it's Italian - parts are much more expensive than on comparable jap bikes and you may have to wait weeks, even months in some cases for them.

the RS will make you a better rider because you really have to think ahead - you really have to learn to slip the clutch and select the right gear to make sure you've got the engine in the right rev range to make the bike move.

The RS is a great bike - looks, handling and relatively good performance but this comes at a premium because of the engineering that's gone into it and the fact that it's Italian.

Just remember whatever you buy, you will want to upgrade it as soon as you're off restrictions. You may not think so now but you will.

So if you're after a 2 stroke you *may* wish to consider something like the Honda NSR150SP - they're $3k cheaper than the RS, parts are DIRT cheap ($100 for a top-end rebuild kit and $215 for a full Tyga performance exhaust) and they'll beat the RS in a straight line (not corners though).

If $ isn't a concern and you're happy to spend $5k+ on a bike you'll most likely only keep for 18 months and happy to potentially wear the expensive parts and waiting times for them, get one, they are still a great bike!

if you grab an rs125.

if your not already a hoon i think you should seriously reconsider your choice of a "learn to hoon" bike.

ive never ridden one but i sat on one and theyre as light as any thing. i can only guess that after being blown silly on my cbr250 by gusts of wind that the aprilia only has the same problems on a much larger scale.

my personal opinion is that these 2 strokes arent for the every day rider. they arent comfortable, they dont have a usable powerband, and they arent wonderful to ride unless theyre being thrashed. funnily enough i have the same deal with my cbr. i love it though as it is a bucket load of fun.

all in all, go for what you prefer, but when you can grab an more reliable bike with more torque / power with cheaper parts etc. WHY NOT!

however if you choose the 125 2 smoke you will have to be careful for wheel spins in wet weather, careful with the throttle at leans, all the stuff a P plate hoon like myself takes for granted on a 4 stroke, but as thingo said, it will make you a better rider. good luck with it
  5. Nick is Maltese and jealous of his Italian neighbours :LOL:

The 4th thread is a good account of a bad experience so you know what you might be in for.

My bike is ~120kg dry and wind is unnerving but not enough to make anyone crash.

Search RS125 in this forum and read all of the relevant threads, then watch bikesales, autotrader, ebay and whatever ads for bikes you could see yourself on. You might change your mind if you find a good deal on a clean example of something else. Good luck and let us know what you end up with and how you like it ;)
  6. Have you ridden any sub-250cc road two-stroke? They're really not that bad, eh. I commute on mine in Melbourne traffic and have done since I got my Ls. Perfect bike for it IMHO.
  7. all valid points however your avg RS125 rider isn't going to be riding in these conditions often, if at all. Most RS125 owners would generally reserve their riding for sunny sundays etc. because that's really what they're made for - fun, not transport.

you don't have to thrash a 2 stroke but you certainly don't want to be putting around in 4th all the time and loading the engine up in high gears and low revs.

go ride one and see what you think. you may love it, you may hate it!
  8. i don't like it, not the greatest first bike u can get either

the power is too hard to control for a beginner and if you're not good with maintenance these 2 strokes can be the end of you

anyway my 2c
  9. $1500 rebuild..!!!!! what are they gold pistons...im not sure if the rs is a plated bore or not..worst case senario u were to seize ur top end, a rebore will be about $50 a piston rings and lil end bearing and head gasket $200...and about 3hr work to un asemble and put back on..get help from some one who has done it b4 tho..and u are back in biz.. 2 strokes are great..i get annoyed when pple complain about the power or lack of..its not the fact that its a 2 stroke ..its a 125cc engine..ever riden a 125 4 stroke,,the difference in power will suddenly be obvious,, remember rs125 will always keep their value aswell..but as i say to anyone..its ur ass who has to ride it..test ride lots of bikes..u may be suprized what u love or hate reguardless of the type of engine powering it..
  10. ^^^
  11. i reckon they're shit.
  12. well stop the world..........dont buy one, joel reckons there shit. :LOL:
  13. Well if the thing needs rebuilds every 12,000 and the OP is worried about maintenance, I'd say it probably isn't the best bike for him.

Doesn't mean they're shit though.
  14. Id like to say right off the bat, that i like two strokes...

However...they are maintenance intensive, and if you dont know what your doing, expensive. You have to order your own parts from overseas if you want them within the month.

I thought long and hard before purchasing my track bike...i had it down to a jap 600 or the aprilia rs250...the bigger...much much faster brother of the rs125. The jap bike won out due to being a four stroke....all the racing classes now are 4t and there phasing out the 2t ones that are left.

Get yourself a piece of shit to start with. Dont spend more than 3. Ride it into the ground...become an awesome rider. Get something...you wouldnt mind crashing...then when you upgrade...get yourself a beast of a bike...and dont listen to the nans that say hold back. Go right in there, grab yourself a 600cc when you upgrade. Save the sit up right biatch bikes for when you hit 60 and cant ride the sports bikes anymore.
  15. joel seems to think every bike but his own is shit.
  16. Far from shit but it will turn to shit if you don't look after it.

As far as costs are concerned it's no different to cars. Buy anything European and it is more expensive to maintain. I think it's pretty straight forward for the OP. If you can't afford to run it, don't buy it. Simple. :wink:
  17. I'm picking one up tomorrow, after getting my L's only a few weeks ago. I can't wait.

My car is a WRX so I suppose the rev range is barely, but slightly comparable to turbo lag. ahahaha.
  18. i have several. even some of mine are shit.
  19. ladies and gentlemen, we have a nutshell
    thanks, now i don't have to type all that out

not all learners are the same. if you've never really ridden before, can't even remember the COLOUR of your last push-bike, don't RS125 it

but if, like me, you've raced pushbikes, worked a year or two as a bike courier, know a redline from a powerband and want something a little bit extra from your learner bike, it will be a great, till you get a proper ride.

i'm waiting on a cheque from the insurance company to get my little Prilla out of the hospital. can't. frigging. wait. when you're not waiting on parts, and you don't have the use of a proper motorbike, they're a fun little thing to throw around a mountain
  20. Hey guys,

Here is a reply email from tech support at aprillia DOT com DOT au that may be of some interest to you. It regards the power output restrictions of the new rs125's.

Hello Scott

Yes Australian the RS125 is EURO 3 emissions compliant.
    They have 17 kw output.
    Yes, if modified it will affect the warranty.
    As to the effect on their learner legal status in Queensland you will have to contact the Road and Traffic Authority in your state.

Ken Walker
    Technical Manager

John Sample Automotive
    Aprilia and MotoGuzzi

(+61) 02 9914 8741
    (+61) 02 9774-2321

ORGINAL MESSAGE---------
    Sent: Thursday, 18 December 2008 11:08 AM
    To: technical AT aprilia DOT com DOT au (CAN'T POST LINKS YET)
    Subject: rs125 power restrictions

European rs125's are aparently restricted to about 7000 rpm due to carbon emission reasons. This limits them to about 120kph.

I was wondering whether the new Australian rs125 models are restricted as well?

If the are, does fitting the aftermarket parts that derestrict them make them so they are not learner legal by Qld law?

Would this also void the warranty?

About how much would it cost to derestrict the bike?
    Cheers Scott