Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia Tuono...one owners thoughts

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Cambo, May 9, 2008.

1. When I first got my license, the only 250 I looked at was the VTR250. It looked like a monster, so I was the bike for me.

My plan was to always upgrade to the Ducati S2R1000, despite a lot of people saying to go to litre bike straight away was a bit silly. However, as I got closer to my upgrade day and seeing Cejays T, which I really liked the look of, I seriously considered which bike I would/should get.

In the end, it all came down to the dry clutch rattle of the Duc as well as the Twin exhaust on the same side for the Duc as the two biggest negative for hte Duc.

So after test riding a T and nearly involunatrily doing things in my pants, I placed a deposit a few days after and picked her up 3 weeks ago.

What I am struggling with is the lower gears for commuting. It wants to be in first for anything under 40 kph and then the throttle is extremely sensitive. I'm hoping some of the issues I have in the lower gears will be sorted out when I have Map2 done, but I will see. For example, I'm undecided as to whether to go around corners in 1st or second. In first the throttle is sensitive. In second, the bike feels too jerky/sluggish.

The power does take some getting used to. On the 250, I woud give the throttle a hard twist and get a reasonable response, but not something that would allow you to overtake in the twisties (i.e. Black Spur) properly, however, on the T, a small blip of the throttle and next thing you know, you are past the car and accelerating away.

Taking off from the lights is another thing altogether. On the 250 I would accelerate and the cars would come with me. On the T, I accelerate away, look in my mirrors and the cars are a long way behind.

I always said that I am mature enough to be able to control my actions on the bike, in particular a litre bike like the T. However, I find myself speeding excessively, as doing $1.00, you are still in 3rd/4th gear. I will be riding to work in a 60 zone, look down and see myself doing 0.85 or so and have to remind myself to slow down. It gets to speed easy and just wants to keep going. Trying to beat a mate at the lights last sunday had the front end starting to come up and I handnt even gotten out of first yet, they have that much power.

The bike loves the open roads and just eats them up. Cornering is so easy on the thing, its like you dont even need to do anyhting, it just knows you want to turn and goes. A couple of weeks before I upgraded, I went on a 300klm ride on the 250 and at times with a slight incline, I was strugglingto stay at $1.10. On the T, it basically says $1.10, you have to be kidding, why dont I try this in reverse, c'mon idiot lets go much faster. Oh and hey dufus, dont forget you have 6 gears now. The power from this thing is truly remarkable and probably is more power than I need, but how nice is it to know that it is there if you ever need it.

After the ride on the 250, i was looking forward to getting off the saddle, however, riding the T the same distance, I felt like I could have gone a lot longer.

I knew that there was a considerable weight difference between the two bikes, but wasnt expecting the actual weight difference. THe first few weeks of pushing it in and out of hte backyard, I now feel that i can comfortably control and handle it weight. It was like, oh cr@p, am I ogingto drop this thing it is so heavy, ot now, ok, I cna probably do this one handed.

I love the electronic display on the bike. Everything that I could possibly need ot know is there right in front of me and except for the tacho, it is all digital. The only thing that it seems to be missing is an indication of what gear you are actually in.

My bike is stock standard, except that it came with a free set of Akro pipes as part of Aprilias 2007Tuono runout ready for hte 2008 models. I have not yet taken out the baffles, as this will happen at the first service.

when $$$ allow, the first purchase will be a set of Ohlins rear shocks. I found on some corners in the country that those that were bumpy, the back end would bounce a bit, and Ohlins on the rear should sort that out.

After the first 3 days of ownership, I was ready to send the thing back. It was sluggish all the time and just didnt feel right. It wasnt until the fuel warning light came on and I pulled up at the servo that i realised i should be putting Premium in, not plain unleaded fuel. :shock: :roll: :roll:
    It is amazing the power difference with the right fuel.

Anyway, at this stage, I am 95% happy with my purchase and looking forward to having Map2 done to increase my Tuono pleasure.

2. Excellent write-up, Mark :)
    I look forward to hearing more of our adventures on your beautiful blue beast :grin:

3. :wink: :LOL: :eek: :p :grin: :shock:
  4. [​IMG]

Still $599 from AF1....!

Glad to see that you're still happy. 30,000km on and I still love my bike. The way it dispatches a 500km day with barely an ache and a grin from ear to ear still makes me wonder why I spent so long on bum down sports bikes.

1st gear corners? Use 2nd and lightly brush the clutch. Anything more than 20kmh and you're fine.

I am mightily crap at mono's. I've only done a few in 25yrs of riding, but around 80% of them are on this bike! Most fun was the 2nd gear 80kmh down Myers Creek(?) R'd overtaking the old couple.....
  5. Aw, it's disappointing to hear that the Tuono is chuggy at low revs. The superduke is the same, it makes me wonder why you'd bother with a twin that doesn't run properly down low when so much of your time in the city's spent doing 50 or under. ElMarco will call me a boring twat who doesn't understand Italian bikes, but for me a bike has to perform well across a wide range of uses, especially the everyday. The litre fours don't punish you for not giving them a gumboot full.
  6. Sheesh, it's a review bonanza at the moment! :grin:

How does it handle/feel?
  7. :oops: I'm doing too much at once! "your adventures"! :oops: :LOL: Of course, I'll be there on the next ride anyway... so it'll kind of be an adventure for us/the group? ... errr... :oops: ... :arrow: Look at that! :-w
  8. Probably coz it revs out to 11k, coz it's Italian, coz it rocks....

Low revs are the 2-3k range, above that it's good. Above 5k and you're peeing your pants it's that much fun!

You notice it as it's a v-twin and with very different power pulses at low revs. It's a contradiction too, because crank the throttle at any revs and it pulls like a IL4 never could.

Fark it, you'll have to have a go on mine....
  9. Very nice review indeed - and it sounds like a lovely bike.

In response to Loz' question... yeah, I think when (;)) I get my Superduke it won't be a sole bike that has to do the commute, it'll be the dedicated weekend twisties weapon. I suspect some tweaking can make the twins *more* tractable around town, but it kinda just stands to reason that at very low speeds a 4 is going to be smoother.
  10. I think alot of it is down to how they tune the bikes to pass emissions regs...my Superduke was ridiculously highly geared stock standard and the fueling leaves a bit to be desired under say 3.5k but to my understanding it has to do with passing euro 3 regs.

Drop a tooth on the front and it makes quite a difference, I'll be doing pipes and a PCIII soon which is supposed to transform the bike...so we shall see

Cambo nice bike by the way...If I was to sell the Superduke i would seriously consider one! :)
  11. Spots,

The feel of the bike is great. The first few times of hopping on the thing after the 250, it felt like Geesh this thing is huge. When I'm going around some corners, I keep thinking, with htis ride height, there is no way I will ever get the knee down on her, but the more I ride it, I think I may get there eventually. It may mean a case of really hanging off to get htere, but one day.

The bike is extremely comfortable. I feel I could ride for days on it. I have heard of numerous stories of people doing Tassie on them and after 2,000 klms, feeling like they can go on forever. From my time o nthe bike, I certainly believe those stories.

The handling is very responsive. Push left and boy does she go. She just loves to corner and without really trying the hard twisities properly yet, all the open country roads, she just eats them up for breakfast.

Someone once said to me about certain roads that you can comfortably take these corners at $1.80 on a sports bike and I'm 100% certain the T would eats those corners up as well.

I think I will be heading down to either A1 or Bikemart to acquire a 15T. Just need to find out if that means I need a new chain at all.

Then i need ot wait until Loz decideds the Wednesday guys need ot re-learn how to replace the front sprocket and/or chain. :wink: :wink:
  12. Just a note that Loz has been fairly consistently suggesting going up 3 on the back rather than down 1 on the front, just because it avoids tightening the radius on the chain at the front with the attendant increased chain stress and wear. Up to you of course.
  13. You do NOT need a new chain.

Aprilia used to supply the 15t front sprocket in the tool kit as the first thing to change at the 1000km service. The radius change from 16t to 15t is more than acceptable.

Comfort. Awesome. The more upright position is supremely comfortable, capable of large distances with not an ache or pain. Couple this with the wide bars and you have a bike that just plunges into corners and is good for any speed sub 160kmh. Above that, you just dip your head a little. Top indicated speed on my was 261kmh at PI...Nothing like overtaking a faired sportsbike down the straight at PI for having fun.

One of the other advantages with the seating position and the relationship to the bars is that you do not need to be in a racer crouch to get the correct arm position for maximum leverage. Downside to the position is that you don't get enough weight over the front wheel at speed without posture change. This isn't a problem but it is something that clipons provide as standard. The quick answer for Cambo is to get the bloody Ohlins ($599 from AF1 - did I mention that!!?) and tinker with the ride height. It makes a World of difference.

One other problem....the bike transforms you into an idiot! fcuk I love my bike!

Just get them to change the sprocket at the first service. At the same time, get Map2 switched on and the baffles removed (required for Map2). The rejoice in the total change of character of the bike.

But....well, you know where I think you should take it.
  14. All the Multistrada boys also recommend dropping one tooth at the front (to 14T) to double the fun, and improve the ease of commuting heaps, as you don't need to feather the (somewhat stiff) clutch to idle through traffic at a crawl. Apparently it doesn't effect top speed either. You just get top speed in 6th instead of 5th. It's only worth $2.12 anyway, unlike the Tuono. Very similar bikes all around otherwise. Yeah, except for the (very) rattly dry clutch.

Good to hear you love the bike Cambo! :grin:
  15. Sprocket change is a piece of cake. Bring it down to any spanner night and we'll do it. But yes, if space allows, a larger sprocket on the rear instead of a smaller one on the front will do your chain life favours. Less turning radius, less work done "per tooth."

Aw must I?

What are you doing RIGHT NOW? :p
  16. If you want practical, buy a ute you farkin boring twat who has no idea about Italian bikes...
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My big twin was super grumpy at anything below 40 kph, but after a re-gearing, she is all fixed up. Pulls sweetly from 20 kph no but only to about 240 instead of so I have lost a little top end, but I will only need this back when we visit tassie next. :twisted:

The Rotax Twin is one of the most enjoyable donks I have ever had the pleasure of twisting the angry stick on.
  17. It depends on the bike, with the Superduke KTM actually chamged the 07 models to be 16-38 rather than the 17-38 of the 05/06 models...so I can't see chain wear/stress being a massive issue. Dropping 2 or 3 teeth off the front maybe so
  18. Well it's cheaper to replace a front sprocket (more labour obviously but the parts cost less) and with some bikes a larger rear can foul the chain guard, mess with single sided swingers, cause the chain to rub on centrestands etc...

It's probably not a huge issue, but the way I tend to shred chains... If I find something that makes a difference I do it!
  19. Well I went and did a stupid thing today. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but I dropped the T today.

I was turning right out of my street. I had gone up to second before I got to the intersection and in the midst of dropping down to first, checking traffic and thinking of other things, I looked down at the ground and down we went.

At first I was scared for two reasons. One was my foot was semi trapped under the bike and two was what sort of damage had I done to the T.

After a few seconds I twisted my foot around and got it out from under the bike. Then it was a case of, How am I going to lift her. I turned the ignition off as the bike had stalled anyway, put the kick stand down and the placed 1 hand under the tank and the other on the right handlebar. Nope cant lift it like that. Hand under the seat and handlebar. Lift, got her up. Great. Next thing I know a neighbour came over to see if i needed a hand lifting hte bike up. Yeah sorry mate, your too slow.

Is she ridable???? Yeah she is. Good. Ride home and think I'm goig to take the car to work. Nah bugger that I'm still going to ride in.

1. Broken brake lever. But It snapped where it was supposed to, so still works, just now a shorty;
    2. Bent rear brake lever. STill sticks out far enough to use properly. No problems there. Wont try to bend it back, it might snap;
    3. The guide that makes the sparks when you go around right handers has broken off. No biggy;
    4. Small scrathes on the front fairing, small amount on the front of exhaust and small scrathing on the bar end and a couple of other places.

Overall, bloody lucky it isnt worse.

Gotta work on those slow right handers. The slow turning at less than 30 klms is really starting to worry me. If I'm in first, the throttle is sensitive. If I'm in second It chugs.

I'm now trying to practice turning those corners by feathering the clutch, but slowly getting there.