Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia RSV4 v Nissan GT-R

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Kermie, Oct 27, 2011.

2. top watching thanks.
  3. Faster and funner..................just takes more skills on a bike.

But even if it was slower, id still take the bike any day......with the left over change going to partying :).
  4. nice little watch
  5. A very nice video
  6. Would be interesting to see the difference different circuits make. I would expect a high speed track like PI would favour cars where something like Wakefield park would be all bike territory.
  7. Fantastic video. I love the bike and the car.
  8. An enjoyable watch.

It's put out by MCN - so it's bike biased. I'm ok with that - I like bikes. But if you watched Top Gear you'd see one that was car biased. Not so happy about that, but my point is they both have a point. Both are showing a version of the truth.

If you wet that track with a hose all over, and then did it, who do you think would win?

What about if you put Mark Webber in the R35?

Go to a track with only slow corners, and no real bumps anywhere, high grip surface, the bike should win. Go to a track that's bumpy, especially in the braking areas, has long high speed sweepers with undulation, a patchy surface where grip is difficult to predict ...

It's very difficult to make a fair comparison - because by definition, you're never comparing apples to apples.
  9. The new MCN videos are being shot a LOT better than the old ones. A good watch.
  10. There was another one years back when the R1 was the latest-and-greatest up against a Viper GTS at some dusty, twisty California track. Viper smacked the R1, but then, it was done by a car magazine - Car And Driver, I think.
    Not very scientific, but great entertainment and a great argument starter !
  11. I remember MOTOR did a comparison of some bike (possibly R1? against a GT2 around Wakefield back in about 03-04. The bike took it by some smallish margin.
  12. The sound of his whinging and cries of "poor me" would get around the track faster than either...
  13. And subsequently, there were complains from both sides so there was a rematch. It happened at Qld Raceway. It involved a (then) current V-8 supercar driver and a current Aus SBK Championship title contender. The car was a 911 GT2 that had been warmed up further, by Snitzer or Alpina or some nutbag cherman tuning house. We're talking roughly 800 hp here. The bike was a stock R1. Really, really stock. OEM suspension settings, EOM tyres ...

One standing start lap each - that's all.

The R1 won by about 3/4 of a second. Considering the standard Porsche ceramic brake package that GT2 carried cost more than the bike ...

While you're pondering the value for money that suggests, let's look at a slightly different example. The fastest production car in the world is the Bugatti Veyron. (Don't get me started on what 'production' means, I know there are faster cars, but how many of them have been made?) It does 250 miles per hour. We all saw James May prove it.

If you knew some people in the tuning business, and they were prepared to donate some of their time and expertise for not very much, you could buy a 2nd hand Hayabusa and a turbo kit with an intercooler, a few electronic packages, and get it tuned up and running for $30k. With somewhere around 400 hp, a turbo 'busa will do a genuine 250 mph with a completely stock chassis and bodywork. And a mostly stock engine and gearbox. You would need a set of heavy duty clutch springs, and a thick head gasket and a set of forged pistons would be advisable. All you need then is a place to run it and the balls to hold it wide open.

[edit] Admittedly, if you opened your cheque book a little further and got more quality after-market components, you would have a better chance of making the target speed, and doing it safely. A properly made 300mm extended swing-arm will probably set you back about $10k, with all associated bits and pieces. It doesn't contribute anything to the top speed, but it does make the bike a good deal safer and more stable at over 200 mph. The more you spend, the faster you go. It's still a lot cheaper than a car.

A turbo 'busa with about 1,000hp recently ran 311 mph. What it cost I don't know, but I'll bet you it was a bit less than a Bugatti Veyron.
  14. I don't remember that one, it doesn't sound very Motor like, they didn't deal much with tuned cars except the odd CAPA, APS, or whoever used to be the standard house tuner for wrx's and the like, maybe Motec?

As for the veyron, it's probably the best case study of engineer stupidity to date. 10 intercoolers, really? So over-engineered it's cost price was greater than it's sell price. The ShelbySC Ultimate Aero is just as silly but not quite as stupid I think.
  15. I think the Veyron is massively underrated in terms of the potential power output it could go. 16 cylinder W engine with four turbo-chargers. Basically each four cylinder and a turbo pumping out 250hp. When there are four bangers making 300kW+ I think the Veyron could be turned up a notch but probably suffer reliability problems. Look at the SuperSport, Bugatti lost the top-speed Crown, did basically aero mods, upped the power and instantly retook it. I think they're just waiting for contendors before bothering..

The cost price compared to sell price has nothing to do with it. The Veyron was there as a technology boost for the entire VAG, along with a serious marketing piece. The amount of things learned from the Veyron's construction will help out the rest of the company massively beyond the costs incurred.
  16. Take those reliability problems and put them through about 10000 moving parts that come with 16 cylinders of engine, a hyperstressed drive train and gearbox to get some idea of what that sentence just might mean.

1000hp engines don't normally last very long.

When it comes to top speed, the single biggest factor is aero. A car with half the power of the veyron could theoretically make it to the same speed if it had a perfect aerodyamic package.