Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia RS250 v Honda NSR250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by dirtydannyd123, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Hey all. I've been looking at these 2 2strokes. In my opinion they both look horny =P~ and go pretty hard.

What are they like?

I'm considering trading a bodypart for one soon...... :biker:

2. C'mon mate whats wrong with the VT250!!!

They are both pretty much a race bike with lights and a horn...the Aprillia is obviously the newer of the 2 however I think that they have been discontinued...

While they may be pretty quick and a blast to ride...they also have higher maintenance requirements than a 4 stroke so you probably need to factor that into the equation too if your looking to get one...don't know what insurance would be like either...Why not just wait until your off restrictions and get a bigger 4 stroke....VTR-1000 nudge, nudge...wink,wink

:D

3. Faking awesome. However my 98 blade is even more awesome than my NSR250. Save the pennies till you can afford/legally ride a big bore. If your hell bent on a 2 stroke I can tell you NSR's are awesome. Ive never ridden an RS250, tho have raced a few with pleasing results :D

NSR's are marginally cheaper to buy and maintain. Also more hottie parts available if you know where to look.

4. I ride an Aprilia RS 125...its still a 2 stroker and it still goes pretty hard...yet only weighs in at 114kg (dry weight)

I've never riden a NSR so i cant really compare the two bikes from experience. Yet i can tell you that the RS 250 or 125 both look great appearance wise. Its fair to say that the Aprilia's have an upper hand on the NSR...performance, handling and appearance are a step ahead of the NSR.

I bet they are both great bikes to ride but for me the choice is simple.

5. Hey buddy, you've seen me at traffic lights so you know how patient I am!

Need more grunt! :twisted:

NOW!!!!

6. debateable
    debateable
    Purely subjective. The RS bike looks typically latin, the NSR looks ready to do the business.

BTW, do you live in the Greensy, Watsonia kinda area?

7. Lets compare the top of the range bikes from both manufacturers.

Both are 249cc 90 deg V-Twin 2 strokes...yet the Aprilia is water cooled as opposed to the liquid cooled version for the NSR.

Now the Aprilia pushes out 72.5HP @119000rpm...and 40nm @ 10750rpm.

The NSR on the other hand pushes out 45HP @9500...and 36nm @ 8500rpm.

Stopping power on the Aprilia consists of dual 298mm front dics with 4 piston calipers...and a single 220mm rear disc with 2 piston calipers.

The NSR on the other hand uses dual 276mm front discs with 4 piston calipers...and the rear is a single disc with 1 piston caliper. (sorry not sure on size)

Now the Aprilia weighs in at 140kg and the NSR at approximately 133kg. (dry weight)

They both look pretty similar, but some of the numbers speak for themselves.

8. WTF? where did you pull thoses numbers from cause they smell suspiciously like they might be covered in crap. 45HP for an NSR250? the restricted version maybe. A good CBR250 puts out around 40HP. Your telling me the NSR only has 5hp more? As for 72hp from an RS250? thats about 28HP less than a full factory 250GP bike. FULL FACTORY RACE KITTED GP BIKE. What you been smoking pal cause your talking jibberish.

BTW, liquid cooled and water cooled are the same thing. What do you think the "liquid" is? urine? beer? a nice runny Camembert?

9. Oops! the water cooled/liquid cooled didn't click at the time...i just wrote it like i saw it.

The CBR is 40hp @ 14500...and only 23.5nm @11500, compared to the 36nm on the NSR. Plus the NSR is 133kg and the CBR is 143kg. 10kg is a big difference...not to mention the hp and nm difference between the two.

All this info was pulled off a website...and i assume they are all factory figures.

10. Here's an NSR that's up for sale: http://www.bikesales.com.au/bike/se...8&y=7&selectedMakeIndex=26&currentPage=1&x=70

:eek: Tell me the looks of this isn't as good as the Aprilia?

Specs on paper doesn't always translate to it's performance.

The 45bhp & 180kph top speed limiter is the stock factory restricted version. Easily overcome with a basic wire splice or a $70 deristrictor box.

Sure, the RS/RGV has more top end power, but the NSR has more low end and midrange... and I dare say a better chassis = better handling.

With a few mods (exhaust, airbox & wire splice) - 60bhp+ is easily attainable.

But, I'm biased coz I own an MC21 NSR250SP and I love it :D

11. Although i suppose it also depends which year, models your talkin bout. The aprillia is newer in the case of that info, had trouble findin newer nsr specs...

12. I reckon they both look awesome!!! I havent seen a sports bike i dont like yet!

Although ive only just recently gotten into bikes and havent had a real chance to develop a brand bias yet, wont take me long though!

13. Jezza that bike looks ready to do business. Definatey a nice thing to look at.

Its fairly obvious im biased towards Aprilia's...Jezza's biased about NSR's, so is cowboy by the looks of things.

Aprilia...
    Pro- the 250cc line ended in 2002-03, so it means you can pick up a new or relatively new bike with low k's, and less thrashing.
    Con- the 2 stroke needs to be toped up with oil, parts are expensive to replace.

NSR...
    Pro-I guess a pro for the NSR could be that its another 2 stroke out there, so its another option when buying or considering a 2 stroke.
    Con - Production finished in 93, so finding a bike that hasn't been thrashed or isn't plagued by high mileage is difficult. Again like all 2 strokes maintenence is a bit more demanding.

14. do ur homework doode. NSR's we're made right up till about 98-99.

15. Do your homework, becuase the last time i checked doode is spelt...dude!

All the info i pulled up about the NSR is off a website, obviously it hasn't been updated. Like i said i dont know too much about NSR's...it's not like i made the info up.

For someone that seems to know a lot about NSR's, im shocked that you didn't even know the bikes own power figures...yet you were quick to judge.

16. No shit. Dude is slang for person. Being slang, and not the queens english kinda means I can spell it however the fcuk I want. Oh look, I wrote kinda instead of kind of. That is one of my favourite little abbreviations. I like using abbreviations just like I like writing dude as doode.
    Who said I dont know the power figures? Different years put out different HP numbers. There is a lot of different models in the NSR linage. For instance there are NSR250 and NSR250 SP and NSR250 SE models. There and ignition card and non ignition card models. There are carb resticted versions, ignition restricted versions and exhaust restirted versions. There isnt a blanket HP figure for NSR 250's.

Having not ridden an RS 250 I cant say how I found them. However performance wise, I can say, as I did earlier, that I have not been beaten by one on my NSR. Therefor I come to the conclusion that performance wise they are both very similar. Kapish?

17. The RS250 has Italian styling with Japanese reliability. What more can you ask for.

I've got an RS250 and loving it. Its only used on sunny weekends for a sunday blast on the twisty.

The RS250 is my fun toy, its cheap to keep registered as the insurance/greenslip is lower than a 600cc bike. I cannot justify having a toy for $15k sitting in my garage where you can spend only $4-5k on a smoking 2 stroker giving you similar performance.

The only downside of the RS250 (same as RGV250 engine) is the powervalve. This can be easily fixed without too much trouble.

A top end rebuild will take about 1/2 a day to do and then you are back on the road for another 20k km. New rings, pistons,gasket and bearing will cost about $350.00 AUD. The rest is standard maintenence. For me this means a topend rebuild about once in every 3-4 years.

I've changed the front (takes 10mins to change) and rear sprokets to give me better acceleration 0-100km in about 3.1 seconds but loose about 10km/h off the max top speed (but who cares about max speed on public road).

The only downside is that the RS250 does go though petrol. A full take of fuel when having FUN (hitting powerband) will take me about 160km until I hit reserve. But you have to pay to play!!!

The good thing about the RS250 is that it holds value if you are going to sell it down the track. Nothing much to loose.

Oh I use to have a 1991 RGV250 about 10 years ago and notice that the RS250 does not require a steering damper where the RGV needed one straight away.

These bikes are road registered racebikes with headlights and blinkers and I love it!!

18. I've heard a lot of people say that these bikes need to be ridden hard, not just to get the enjoyment out of them but to get the true performance out of them, is this correct?

19. Not so much ridden hard but revved hard to keep them in power band. For example I rode my friend's RGV and noticed that trying to take off from his driveway at around 4000rpm the bike more or less just sat there but when I slid it up to 6500/7000 it just took off, after turning into the street before I knew it I had the bike up to 70k's.

Performance is awesome once you get used to keeping them in power band, you can ride em slow too it just requires good throttle control.

It's fair to be critical of two-stroker's maintenance requirements (pretty much $$$) but anyone that's critical of them as bikes just doesn't know how to ride them.