Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia rs250 rebuild ?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by aterese, Sep 25, 2009.

1. I am after some advice about whether the following bike is worth purchasing.

I'm after a RS250 and this is only local to me, but I am no mechanic, so I would have to get the Suzuki (burleigh) guys to do the rebuild.

"my rs250 needs a new or reconditioned bottom barrel and piston. i have the original barrel and a whole suzuki rgv 250 engine as spare aswell. all will be sold with the bike. selling due to putting funds into another vehicle. apart from that the bike is wonderful, new rear tyre and rego included. will be supplied with no roady . obviously. at the moment the fairings and exhaust are off the bike the barrel and piston is off the bike aswell. i will not be putting it back together. purchase as is, perfect bike to fix and make some money on"

After speaking with the aprilia service center they are quoting for a top end rebuild about 2k (assuming replacing barrel and pistons and labour).

Suzuki had cautioned about the barrel going at 50k being premature and suggestive or racing, but I've been told the bike was not raced, that its just the bottom barrel, needs work at 50,000 because a 2 stroke needs work every 20,000.

As a previous RS250 owner I'm keen, but I have no mechanical sense and I do feel cautious about the expense in rebuilding these things. On the same token, even with the costs, it is pretty cheap.

Expected to sell at 2k, then I have the rebuild costs. 98 model with 50k, so has a bit on it.

I want opinions please, as I'm bias and have to get my head around just buying a 2003 model with low kms and paying $8 instead :)
  2. If you are not going to do any of the work yourself, I would not buy this bike if I were you.

Rebuilding two strokes is very easy if you have a basic to intermediate level understanding of engines. If not, mechanics seem to REEM people for what is a basic job. They quote $2000 for a rebuild that anyone worth their salt could knock over in about 3 hours with about $300 worth of parts (more if the cylinders need replacing).

My advice to you - don't do it.

My advice to people who will do the work themselves...it might be a very cheap way of getting a good bike with a little bit of effort (though as always you never know what other little surprises await you - it's a worry that he won't even be bothered to put the bike together b4 he sells it IMO).

And welcome to NR...how about you introduce yourself in the "Welcome Lounge"? :wink:

3. As a mechanical noob (a long long time ago), I rebuilt an RD250LC, new pistons, new main end, new small end, rebore and reassemble. I did this with the help of someone who knew what they were doing, but the actual work was simple.

If it's just top end, you do NOT need to pay someone to do this. If you have time on your side, a service manual (do Haynes do one?), some tools and the right parts (either new or from a breaker) and you really can't go wrong. However, you have absolutely no way to test the veracity of the remainder of the sellers claims, so unless you are sure and feel that you will be able to do this, I'd stay away.

8k for a 6yo model....phew.
  4. Thanks for the responses.

No rebuild then.

So unless I can find a RS250 with low kms and top end rebuild already done....I'll have to look elsewhere.

Currently interested in these bikes, but not sure how they will compare to the RS250 2-stroke experience :moped:

Kawasaki Ninja 650R, previously ER-6F (178kg, 790mm)
    Honda CBR600RR (155kg, 820mm)
    Honda CBR600F4
    Kawasaki ZX-6R (167kg, 820mm)
  5. The top end needs to be rebuilt every ~12,000ks-ish. So at some stage you'd need to do it anyway. It really is easy, and you could learn how to do it yourself. But if you're sure you'd get a mechanic...then as we said, probly stay away. That bike is probly better suited to someone who knows wgat faults to look for, since it's not assembled.

I love 2 strokes, but it also depends on your riding experience and what sort of riding you'd do as to whether it'd suit you...I can't see you being too diSsapointed by a 600rr. We might know this info when you drop into the welcome lounge? :wink:
  6. Okay...i'll get to the lounge :p

Background...owned one of these beauts in the past, so I know it suits me...love it and so regret stupid divorce that made me sell it :(

I'm a female, so after adjusting the seat, I've found it to be the most ideal bike for me for weight, ability to handle and took only a week to get use to the high revs needed.

I secretly love taking off at lights, but I do tend to cruise a bit and not a hot head, so didn't take it through it's potential.

I am looking at other bikes and just can't seem to find one that is light, powerful enough of a 600cc so I won't outgrow and can be lowered enough.
  7. Okay, so it's not like you're going into this with your eyes closed then, you've obviously had a decent amount of experience on a 2 smoke. I can totally understand the weight/height aspect of the choice, that's a good thing about the smokers.

Spewin' you had to sell the old one!! Dammit! :facepalm:

You could also see if a NR or a professional service could check any bike out before you buy it if you don't feel confident doing it yourself (ie if it's in bits :D).
  8. I fully intend on paying for a professional bike inspection, especially considering most bikes are interstate :(
  9. Honestly, if you are going to do that and feel comfortable that the bike is legitimate and will recieve a RWC, then I'd get it and spend a little time getting it ready. Have crack yourself and if you run into issues, then employ a professional. But a top end rebuild on a 2 stroke, assuming all other parts are working is seriously easy. It only gets hard when you need to split crankcases or remove crankshafts and bearings. I used to pop the barrel of the RD very regularly for a decoke, check piston, rings and barrels. It was more complicated as it was liquid cooled, but it was still a simple job.
  10. I've heard it is bad to bike an ex-track bike.

Can someone explain to me the in's and outs of this.
    Aprilia RS250 of course.

A bike I'm considering has just over 5,000kms (late 2001 model), of which majority was by the first owner who did take it out on the track.

One thing that I'm cautious is that the 2nd owner has only done 750km since he brought it....should that send off alarms that despite saying it is all clean and mechanical sound, that he's trying to pass it off himself ?

What do I need to consider if it has been raced, is it a matter of more parts will be due to be replaced. Does it do damage that is unrepairable or expensive.

Just want to understand more.
  11. If it's been raced, watch out for crash damage, bent frames, engine numbers/frame numbers that don't correlate.

If it's been raced properly, it would have had a rebuild very frequently, best 2T oil available and well maintained, as a well maintained bike tends to be quicker. But bear in mind that all bolts would have been drilled and lockwired, so the race history will follow you around. Unless you can fix it for silly money, you stand the chance of having a bike that owes you dosh but is worth next to nothing.
  12. Thanks for the honesty.
  13. If you can get it for the asking price and repair it yourself, I'd say it was a good buy. But a couple for the bike and a couple for the repair work, with no real guarantee that it's going to work as expected and a racing history makes me think it's not a great deal, but that's only an opinion...heart rules head every time with bikes!
  14. I feel a sense of deja vu, are you on th AF1 forum?

Do you plan on ever getting the mechanical know-how or happy to just pay a dealer as the time comes?

You may or may not know that the RGV VJ22 engine is used in the RS250, the Ape just uses different exhausts to get a nice power delivery. You can in fact use RGV barrels and pistons on the Ape.

If a barrel has gone, then it's around $400 for a replate on top of the cost of a top end. If you plan to keep the bike for a long time, you would do the complete top end at the one time so you can not worry about anything at all.

Rough costs:
    Barrel replate $400
    top end parts $400
    labour to do both $1200

Buying an ex-track bike. It's had a harder life, so there was almost certainly clutchless shifts. You may find the 1st/2nd gears may slip under hard acceleration. Yes you get a shorter life out of the pistons and rings because they are working much harder relative to a street life. Is the bike running the oil injector or premix? What sort of oil is it running? Cejay has covered the basics on an ex-trackie so I won't go over old ground. You may not know the true mileage of the bike as the speedo may have been disconnected during it's track life.

50 000km is quite high, that means it's due for a crank rebuild, throw another $1000 at least towards the bike for that.

What is it about the stroker experience that you like? The smoke, the powerband, the lightness of the bike? Some things you can get buy changing the gearing of other bikes, but there are other things that you can't replicate :)

If you buy it as a roadbike, then you are aware that you will be fouling plugs, and filling up the PVs with unburnt oil unless you take it for a good spirited ride regularly, and remember to keep draining those PVs?

Don't forget to factor in consumables like brake pads and rotors. They will add to the cost of the bike too.

Rebuilds are easy to do, but at the same time, it helps to have good tools. Modern bikes do have to be setup properly (like deck height, squish, etc) so a bit or preparation goes a long way, especially to engine life!
  15. Thanks Mekros for the detailed response....appreciate your time.

I like the RS250 for light weight and for responsiveness.

I have tried 600cc and I hate the extra weight and the way they rode. I came from the traditional GN250 suzuki up to kawa 600....and I just have a strong preference for "small" bikes.

I actually like the Kawa 250s but I know I'll outgrow it within months. I like the new Ninja 650, but it is so expensive.

So I keep coming back to my old favourite Aprilia.

Yes I am dedicated to learning the mechanics as that is part of what interests me....I'm not sure I'd be as keen on a bigger bike to get handson (are 4 strokes more difficult) ?

I want this bike long term and I want it as something I can get hands on with maintenance, plus take for longer rides on weekends.

If I could find a bike under 160kg, low and power band of a Aprilia...sure I'd consider. Oh and it still must look racey.
  16. So what are your thoughts? Still leaning towards that specific bike in question?
  17. I am bias to the Aprilia RS250 if I can find one below $7k in top condition and last model released in Australia.

Otherwise I want to go have a look at least at the CBR600RR and the Ninja 650. I just don't know if I can afford those.

Currently working on selling my car asap :p
  18. When you say last model you mean from 99+?

You will struggle to find the 02/03 models in good condition below that price because they are seen as collectors items, the last of the fire breathing registerable two strokes (for now :) )
  19. I'm aiming for 2001 to 2003 models.

There is a handful around and I've certainly seen them towards that $7k mark, averaging 20,000kms.

It is that ongoing dilemma of buying a bike interstate with no real proof on the history and my mechanic pre-sales inspection is going to have to be what I rely upon.

I'm not in a hurry (only in my enthusiasm), so once I sell my car I'll be in better position to judge marketplace.

Mekros, what did you think about the Kawasaki range as alternative....the Ninja's are so low, but have they improved their weight and handling (if I am comparing with the Aprilia for a ride) ?