Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia RS125

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Miss Kitten, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Hello all. So I have just recently gotten my L's and this week I dragged my poor boyfriend down to she bike shops in Ringwood for a look and see on what sort of bike I may like.

One of th bike shops in Ringwood stocks Aprilias and had the new Aprilia RS125 there on display. This bike is one sexy bike, I sat on it, my boyfriend sat on it and we kinda both fell in love with it. I really liked the sporty style of it, the weight of it and the fact that there is a half decent rear tyre on it.

This bike costs 10k however I came home and did some googling on the Aprlias's and am confused some what with some of the information that I have found.

Those that own one can you please tell me about the engine siezing? And would it be able to handle the freeway? I suppose for the price I wouldn't want the engine to just stop working like that.

Is the maintenance really that high on this bike?

I have checked out the CBR125, the the weight of it was great however it didn't look too good in real life unlike the pics of it on the net.

The Ninja 250 is also a possibility but I am hesitant to put a deposit down on a bike that i'm yet to see in real life. Also the fact that it's not that light either worries me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. They're an awesome bike and theres not that much maintenance, basically a top end rebuild every 20000kms, keeping the powervalve clean. Make sure you only put fully synthetic through it though. Dont be too concerned about it seizing, keep the oil up and you shouldn't have too many problems, you should be able to tell when its up for a rebuild as you'll lose compression and it will run like a dog.

They're alot of fun to ride, very snappy, a bit difficult to get used to the power delivery. Only problem with them is servicing and parts, parts are damned expensive here and hard to get, you will most likely find yourself ordering parts from the UK

To be completely honest, I absolutely love my RS125, however if I had my time again, I'd buy a jap bike...

However for after sales service checkout my thread here https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46336&sid=4f5faf83769022bf3a659c1c102a55e2

The CBR is a slow bike, good for commuting but not very quick, the new Ninja looks awesome for what it is but I also would be hesitant. I'm guessing you want to stay away from the second hand market?

3. I would look into the second hand market for certain bikes. I'm not interested in a CBR 250 as they are too old and not worth it. Would look into a second hand late model bike however.

4. I also cant see the value in a CBR250

You put any thought into a GPX or ZZR250, those things are solid as a rock, good resale when you decide to sell, and spares are plentiful

5. The GPX isn't too bad however i'm after a bike that looks really sporty and well the RS125 looks it. The new 250 Ninja looks sporty in pics online but who knows in real life.

6. Theres no denying it, the current RS125 is the sportiest learner legal bike right now.

7. from my understanding is you are going to ride them through the twisties/track they are fine but aren't built for commuting style work and this is what causes alot of issues for owners

8. Yes, if your going to be commuting, do yourself a favor and don't buy this bike...

No thermo fan so they dont like sitting still in traffic, your going to murder the clutch with all the stop start riding, and they generally ride better when they are in the powerband

9. The RS125 is a great looking bike.

If you are buying new and can afford it, I don't think you will have the same issues as Icefire. Hopefully the aftersales on a new bike is better than a 2nd hand unit.

Aprilia support can be hit or miss, however a 125cc 2 stroke is relatively simple compared to a mega revving IL4.

The 125cc is a good bike for someone who knows how to ride and is looking for buzz and excitement. For a complete newcomer, well, I've seen them and they need lots of revs to maintain the pace. Huge fun and maximum grins, but not ideal if a lot of your riding is city commuting. Once you've mastered it, it will reward you in spades.

Siezing is a problem I believe if you don't let the engine warm before you give it maximum berries, skimp on the oil or neglect servicing. 125 2 strokes have been around for years and don't have to be unreliable.

As for the brand, Aprilia are awesome. I know the bikes are built to a price, but they look to be 'created' and not designed on a CAD system (I know they're all done the same way!). I imagine an Italian designer with a glass of red and a plate of pasta designing the swing arm to look a certain way at 2am in the morning, with passion and a desire to make it look the best it can. Romantic and foolish I know.

10. Thanks guys for your post. My boyfriend made me sit on it and put my feet up on the pegs. He smirked and said that I love the Italian between my legs.

I have been told that this bike will make me a better rider as you can't be lazy whilst riding it.

Keep the comments coming, especially those that have experience with the bike.

11. Treat it like a 2 stroke and you wont have any major mechanical issues, you will need to keep the revs up else it's just going to bog down. However I wouldn't say this should deter a new rider, other then paddy bashing on 4 stroke dirt bikes I had no riding experience when I brought my Aprilia, as much as I'm dissapointed in the after sales service, there is simply no denying how good these bikes are. However just be prepared for long part delays if something goes. You have to ask yourself are you going to be happy with your pride and joy waiting weeks on weeks for parts

12. as your first bike i wouldn't recommend it... get the 250 hahaha.
    they're heaps of fun... i rode 1 for a few weeks, however the owner failed to maintain it's oil levels and yeah the clutch died pretty easy. the weight issue -haha i picked it up and wheeled it home on 1 wheel. seriously you'll be right with a 250. a bloke at work is thinking of getting his Ls and all he seems to like is 2 strokes. if you get one, keep it maintained, be prepared for expensive maintanence, (not necessarily going to have a bad experience but if it's your first bike you will almost certainly forget something, and make sure, more often than not, you ride it like it wants to be ridden so you don't foul the plugs. if you're riding in heavy traffic etc etc... just take it for a fang somewhere quieter on your way home :)

13. This comment sums up a lot about the situation.
    for your first bike you want something forgiving so you can concentrate on the roads, the traffic, the basics of keeping yourself safe.
    A 2 stroke bike needs to be kept in it's powerband or it gives you bugger all back. As such traveling in traffic takes more concentration, put's more load on the clutch. Just generally isn't the way to go.

As a learner bike i always recommend something with low down grunt. it means you can concentrate a little less on your clutch and spend more time focusing on being a safe rider. The best bikes for this in the 250 category are the twins. (Inline or V it doesn’t matter) the only bikes that have a 250 twin and sporty look are the kwakas or the Hyosung. The hyo’s seem to be a bit hit and miss for quality, but they are sporty and go pretty well (when they go at all) The Kwakas are rock solid. I would suggest that as much as it isn’t as sexy there is some sense in having a little Jap between your legs instead of a little Italian. At least until you get the confidence to handle something as highly strung as an Italian

14. who told you that? if you ride any bike in a lazy manner YOU WILL get left behind.......why don't you let us know what sort of riding you plan on doing....

also on th eoff chance you do drop it, consider the the wait you maybe up for to get broke parts :wink:

15. The bike you are mentioning is a 2-stroke unit of 125cc capacity. In comparison to a 250cc bike the piston travels twice as fast, drinking as much fuel as a 250 and producing similar power, coupled with usually a lighter frame and some sporty design work.

Here is where the comparison ends.

Issues as a learner with a 2-stroke bike:

1. It needs you to top up 2-stroke oil on an ongoing basis. This is an additional overhead that can be messy and inconvenient.
    2. Oil splatters from this thing means it smokes and covers stuff behind it in a film of greasy Shiite. Don’t ride in front if me!
    3. The power you are told about is not accessible with ease from the bike. It has virtually no power until you rev then engine high. Then you must stay on that engine speed to maintain output. So for stop and start traffic they are a pain in the ass.
    4. Servicing is very expensive and these engines require re-builds at regular intervals.
    5. If you don’t ride them hard. The spark plugs and reed values can clog and foul. This means more servicing and more money.

As a new starter, I would seriously re-consider these units as they are built for a specific use (usually junior track racing competitions) and are a pain for most new bike riders to be dealing with.

Consider a VTR250, Hyosung 250, a larger scooter or wait for the new ninja to arrive.
    They are all much better options.

16. Imagine the price on new fairings!

Previous post is more or less right on the money, unless you have someone close to you who is very handy with bikes or you are yourself its even more problematic. I didn't have too much of a problem for upkeep, I'm relatively savvy with engines and whatnot and my old man might as well be a mechanic.

Just by the wording on your original post where you've stated that you were considering a CBR125 and also consdering an RS125 makes me think your knowledge of bikes is a little lax to be starting on the Aprilia considering these are completely different bikes...

17. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

I was looking at all bikes. The CBR125 looks good in pics but not good in person. The RS125 looks really really good in person. I obviously want a bike that looks good.

The RS125 sounds more trouble than it's worth. It's not about the money, thats no prob, my boy has rebuilt bikes in his time so thats not the issue. My concerns were from hearing about engine seizing and freeway riding which has been explained to me now.

Thanks to all who have replied.

18. Ice, I think that's a bit unfair.

As for the comments regarding its suitability, remember that these are the stock bikes that a lot of Europe ride. I was brought up with 125 2 strokes. They are heaps of fun, are harder to ride, but not hard to ride.

Ice, I know you have problems with JSG wih parts, but you also know that there are lots of alternate sources of bits, massive help from current owner Worldwide and general assistance locally. I have found the warranty issues are easily sorted when you use the dealer you purchased the bike from. The sales guy normally has influence over the service manager. As a new bike and a stable design, issues should be minimal and what there are should be well known.

Although they make next to no power off idle, as a new rider any power seems lots. We only complain because in comparison it seems like it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Buying a beand new bike as your first bike is always a risk. People are passionate about riding a POS as your first bike, but I'm thinking that if you've got $10k to spend on a new bike, that money isn't the major factor. If you can afford it, assume that you might have a simple drop and scratch/damage a fairing, then by all means, buy it. As I said, these are standard fare in Europe and people there don't seem to fear struck.

19. Sorry mate I fail to see how I'm being unfair. I praised the bike for the awesome machine that it is and gave nothing more then the truth, and your point about being alternatives overseas? There shouldn't have to be alternatives overseas, there should be reasonable support here. It's obvious by your posts here and in my thread that your a fanboy for Aprilia.

The RS, like any 2 stroke is hard for a learner to ride, you have to concentrate more on clutch work and gears, powerband etc etc, not a big deal if your only going out for the twisties, but if you want to do any form of commuting then its just stupid. It's the wrong bike for the job. Most other people in the thread seem to agree with me.

20. I think you should focus less on getting a bike that looks good and more on a bike that is user friendly in all senses, ie riding, maintenance, replacement parts, et cetera.

Focus less on how good you'll look to people on the side of the road and in shop front windows as you ride down the street and more on how much usable power the engine has, how good the brakes are, how easy it is to learn to ride on. And also as importantly, how cheap it is to maintain and keep (safely) on the road, as well as if you bin it, how much replacement parts cost.

my .02c