Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia RS125 - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by iamvinhy, Jun 13, 2005.

1. im buying my new bike soon and im thinking of
    considering the rs125 ..

can anyone tell me exactly what kind of maintenance
    would be involved? how often? the cost? etc etc ..

how about the resell? is it worth it? :D

2. Beats me why anyone would want an RS125 as a first road bike, unless the main concern is image and looks.
    The engines are peaky, unforgiving and will require much more maintenance than a 4 stroke. I've always been of the opinion that a skilled rider is more suitable for one of these bikes than a learner, especially because the gearbox needs to be worked so much to keep the engine on the boil.
    There is simply too much to do for a learner IMO, a more difficult bike to learn on i couldn't think of.
    Plus factor in all of that expensive bodywork which will get messed up when you most likely drop it (sorry, but every learner drops their bike to some extent ).
    And insurance will be higher than most, not to mention purchase price!

Are you getting the hint that an RS isn't a good choice??
    Get a Honda VTR250 or a Suzuki Bandit 250 or some other 4 stroke naked. Can't get a better style of bike to learn on, they are the best compromise for new riders.
    But if you want a sportsbike then a CBR250RR is the way to go. Just don't go for one of those tarted up crash imports, get one with original factory paint instead.

3. The Aprilia is $8,950 + On Road Costs
    http://www.aprilia.com.au/sports/rs125.html

Interesting first choice of bike, I would really question the performance of a 125, but I have never ridden one. I can say that I have followed ApriliaGirl on her 250 and that bike has some power, also a nice looking bike.

4. This topic comes up every so often, and i guess recent attempts to explain haven't been successful.

So i think the best thing to do is answer your own question...by asking yourself what you want out of your bike?

All i'll say about the RS 125, or the 250 in that matter...its a race bike with headlights and indicators. If this is not the kind of bike you are after then there is no point going into anymore detail.

5. vtrsteve - thats the 2005 model :p
    but no way would I pay that much for a 125cc ..
    i dont know why anyone would .. thats $9k :|

thanks guys !
    looks like I wont be buying an aprilia :p haha

6. All the above comments are very valid points and personally I would NOT recommend a 2 stroker to any new learner rider.

These bikes need to be ridden and kept in the upper rev range. You need to keep thinking (it comes second nature to me but sometimes still catch me out) about the lack of engine braking, so gear selection, braking points and revs plays a vital point in your riding judgement. These are one less thing you don't want to be really thinking about when your learning to ride.

Hitting powerband around a greasy corner will throw you off the bike quick smart, or scare the shit out of you.

If the 2 stroker will be your only ride, get the above 4 strokers instead. Commuting with a 2 stroker is very hard on you and your hip pocket. Your in the constant moto GP riding position. You need to keep use relatively expensive 2 stroke oils, and expensive sticky soft tyres (a must for 2 stroke bikes). Sticky tyres don't last long if you use it for commuting. You need to also do PROPER maintenence on them, if not it will cost $$$.

My RS250 is a weekend only bike and I do all the mechanical work myself.

But man, its fun to ride, and it give me a real buzz everytime.

7. Ill be selling my GS soon iamvinhy. Ill let you know when if u havent bought yourself a machine yet, just incase you want to check it out.

8. If two strokers take your fancy, try the Suzuxi RGV 250R :D
    Sure...doesn't quite have the polished look of the Aprillia but they still look awesome IMHO :D ( I have pics in the photo gallery under Cool Bikes/Suzuki :D )
    I bought a 98/99 model in mint condition with 12000 kms for $6800.

Any two stroker is difficult to learn on but I tell you, the launch on those things is unbelievable! :shock: It brings a huge grin to my face every time I give her a squirt :D

You do need to maintain them well but I would be doing that for any bike I owned...if you look after them you will enjoy many trouble free (and fast kms :D ) I have her serviced evey 5000 kms and use full synth oil (Motorex, around $25/lt) A litre lasts me around 6-8 weeks..peanuts!

9. I was thinking of getting an rgv250 as a weekend/track bike. to be honest I reckon they look pretty comfy, but I wouldnt get one for commuting

10. I've been watching this and the other similar threads for a while and haven't posted as I'm probably really not qualified to comment. But after a couple of vodkas I'm going to comment anyway :D

I agree that RS250's (and probably RS125) are not as easy to ride as something like a 4-stroke, but having learnt on one (who am I kidding, still very much learning) you adapt to what you have. I would probably find a 4-stroke weird and unsettling because it would be new to me.

Having said that, if you get a 2-stroke you may need to be prepared to give yourself more time to develop the skills you need (it took me a month a whole month to get out of my suburb). That doesn't mean you can't quickly start riding in the rev range the bike needs. You don't have to combine high revs with high gears or twisty road, so it's more than possible to take the time to learn 2-stroke riding basics without throwing in challenging riding environments. Also there are a few tricks that your mechanic can show you which will help keep your bike mechanically healthy while you don't ride it so hard.

For me one of the big factors in buying the RS250 was that it's the bike I see myself riding for several years and well suits the type of riding I do. I'm not sure I would have parted with the cash if what I really wanted was a 4-stroke 600 or 1,000. Seems silly to spend heaps on a bike if you want to sell it in 12 months (particularly if you're at risk of dropping it). Also, I can afford to have it fixed so as much as I want to avoid the general trend of throwing my first bike down the road, if it does happens it's not going to bankrupt me (though I will cry).

Anyway whatever you get have fun and take care :)

11. wonderful comments ApriliaGirl

you said "haven't posted as I'm probably really not qualified to comment"
    you own one, so your the perfect person to comment IMHO.

also "you adapt to what you have"
    i beleave that to be true, i went from a 350cc 4 stroke honda to an
    ex-superbike i bought from an A-grade racer, he said "anyone can ride a bike in a straight line and it was up to me how fast i turned the throttle"
    i was 20 years old at the time.

and this comment "it's the bike I see myself riding"
    so many bikes to choose from sizes/brands/styles, why buy a bike in the 1st place? buy whatever suits you/whatever makes you happy, your the one whoes going to be riding it.

keep the vodka flowing ApriliaGirl
    you make perfect sense to me and im sober as i write this :p

cheers ratty ( aka Paul )