Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia RS125 - A Quick Fang

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by boingk, Mar 14, 2009.

1. There it was, middle of the workshop floor. Through my hangover, I head old mate say that it had passed inspection with flying colours, a really top little unit. A few papers and a bit of cash were exchanged and I rode off into the sunny Saturday afternoon to contend with the lazy traffic in Goulburn. Previously I'd been riding on a borrowed DRZ-400E, a big Suzuki dirt rig that thundered and popped and was a general lark to ride with torque everywhere and a nice predictable power spread. This was about as different as you could get.

I almost stalled trying to get moving, then that little fella on my shoulder with the pitchfork said for me to give it a mans go, and stuff the babying off the line. I realised he was right, and the afternoon was split with smoke and the screaming of an Italian two-stroke as I took off down the street and headed toward home, having forgot to bring the licence plate with me to return to the RTA.

Righteo, indicator, roundabout...hmm...yeah go the long way back. I stayed in first out of the 'bout and took a side road parallel to the main street, a bit more suited to fanging. Also it didn't go past the police station, which is always a plus. I took the first corner and it opened up to a decent straight. I kept it to 8k upshifts (ceiling of 11k) and blasted through the gears, topping to 3rd and around 70km/h. Felt good, sounded great and screamed through the bends before going under the bridge and back onto the main street. Smoking had died down by this point as the bike had warmed up quickly. I was almost disappointed, nothing beats the sheer class and elegance of trailing a shroud of smoke with you as you blast through town on a stroker.

The little RS stopped on a dime at the intersection, I was a bit astounded at how well it pulled up although in retrospect it does have a nice disk setup and good frame so I shouldn't have expected anything else. More semi-sedate acceleration down the straight, this time nudging 9 and a bit on the tach. Geez, does it come on the valve over 8k! Felt great, the bike surging ahead under me on a wave of noise with shifts as slick as a well-lubricated nikasil bore. Damn, love that engineering, changing gear had suddenly become a very fine thing and quite enjoyable. The neighbourhood was subjected to the noise of my passing, the sound like an oversize mutant demented wasp screaming towards its next target.

Picked up the plate, back on the bike to the RTA. Nudging a bit harder with quicker shifts and a bit more clutch slipping saw me progressing a lot faster than before, the noise more penetrating and the experience more addictive. As before, the powerband shot the bike forward when it came on tap, but I knew I had to restrain myself to 9k or thereabouts because the whole rig only had 200km on it and really should be given a gentle running in. Oh, what the hell. Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnng!

I pulled into the RTA and got things settled. I was just about to get the new plate and make everything official when the computer system went down. An unapologetic clark behind the desk responded to me asking if I would still be able to get things processed by looking at the clock and saying something along the lines of 'No...don't think so mate. Come back Monday." Hmmm...righteo. Thanks for valuing my experience at the local RTA. I walked out in a bit of a huff but this passed as soon I got on the bike. It might not've been registered, but it sure was good to ride. Another dedicated gear-shifting session on the brink of the 'band saw me with another big grin. A tank of premium and a trip home saw me in good spirits and not blaming the RTA for messing me around, for once.

As I stowed the bike in my garage I couldn't help thinking that it was too bad that it wasn't mine. I looked across at mine, an identical RS125 save for the missing fairing, tank and seats, the garage cluttered with parts waiting to be reunited with the frame. Its getting there, I told myself.

Nothing like doing a chore for your brother, hey? Haha! :LOL:

CHeers - boingk

2. Nice write up mate :) One day I'd love to take one of these out for a fang. Closest I rode was a Mito125 and that was a hoot! :LOL:

3. Indeed nice write up but I can't get over the sound of it! :(

4. Just sold my baby :(

Time for another one!

Awesome fun, and you do have to drive them like a mad man, but frankly I think they are a liability with around-city driving.

Love it to pieces though, it's almost like a turbo when you hit the magical 8k mark and zoom ahead.

I rode a current model one with a gianelli exhaust a couple weekends ago (looking to buy, but my offer came up short) and I'm not sure whether it was a combination of the newer model with slight improvements, the exhaust mod (and ECU tune), or me not driving mine for a little while, but it felt a little more powerful, and possibly a little lower at around 6k rpms too. It was a tiny bit more buzzy too, although not really much louder.

I love the build on the new ones, and up until then I prefered the rounded older style models just for aesthetics.

Now I'm tossing up whether it is really worth getting another considering I'll be off my restrictions in a year.

5. Yea, that brings back some sweet times on the RS125 & RGV250.... \:D/

It was a love \ hate relationship with the Italian.

When it was good, it was ecstasy.
    When it was bad, it was due to my lack of mechanical sympathy at the time.
    (I've got a melted RS125 piston in my toolbox as an ornament)

I still dream of owning a RS250 trackbike in my double garage when I've bought my own place.

6. Cheers for the feedback guys, seems everyone who has ridden one of these has had a similar experience - full of fun and plenty of revs! I reckon thats one of the best things about them, you can just give it a total caning and still not be doing something rediculous. Illegal, maybe, but definitely not as much as you might be doing on a thousand.

Driven - Mine is still on the up and up, I'm down to the final stuff at the moment. The carby is dead simple IMO and just needed a good clean out afte sitting for a few years. As for replacing the top end, I reckon that shouldn't be too hard - 5 bolts, a piston and a few rings... right?

AhrimaaN - Forgot to mention this one had a Jolly Moto system on it and had been tuned to suit, making for some excellent high-rev work. It'd pull to over 11k easily, had to keep a firm ear and eye on things to make sure I didn't over rev the thing too much. Recent rides have been a blast, my brother telling me that its caning time for it. He reckons running it in has passed without mishap and I agree; after all, high rpm work is needed to get that top part of the bore settled.

Cheers all, good to see I can ring back some memories and what-have-you.