Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia rs 125 2001 Model

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Steamfrog, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hi I have a total noob question that I hope someone can answer.

I bought an Rs 125 on ebay and the *sshole sold me bodgied up with a blown motor that needs a rebuild.

I need to order a rebuild kit and some tools but I need to know what model rotax motor is in it a 122 or a 123 as some tools are very different.

Thanks in advance.

2. Thank you for that, much appreciated.
  3. Look on your cylinder you will probably ha e to pull the fairings to be able to see the number but i would think its a 122

Also apriliaforum has closed the euro section of the rs125 they still have all the info and they mainly cater to the us bikes now which are for track use only
    Check out tjtuning.co.uk/forum
  4. Thanks guys for the replies.
  5. The engine is a Rotax 122. What kind of problems has the engine got that it requires a rebuild ? I'm hoping it's just the top end.

Top end rebuilds can be done with just a basic tool set. Say a $100 Crescent kit from Bunnings would cover the vast majority of the tools needed.
    If the bottom end is shagged well you'll need to make some special tools to get the job done. The most notable being a flywheel holder and flywheel puller tools.

As far as engine work goes the top end is dead easy. Bottom end is challenging but not impossible. It just takes time and lots of patience to learn and get it right the first time.
  6. +1 for Crash Dummy. You should also try to explain what happened when the engine blew up or photos of the engine damage.
  7. I believe this is covered in my old RS125 (now Crash Dummy's RS125 :D) thread from a few years ago. Here it is at the rebuild stage:

As for ordering parts, you'll most likely need a new piston, rings and gudgeon pin... and I'd get a gasket kit and topend bearing as well at the very least. That'll total perhaps $15- to $200. If there's bore damage you will need it replated which will cost a few hundred dollars.

Cheers - boingk