Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia go "boom"

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by rc36, Nov 12, 2009.

1. AMCN is reporting that the world press launch of the Aprilia RSV4 at Mugello on the 28th October was abandoned after five, yes, you read it, FIVE of the new Italian stallions blew up, lunching their con-rods while being sampled by the assembled press corps.

Does this qualify for the "Boy was My Face Red" award of the year for 2009??

2. bugger, any "positions vacant advertisements yet I wonder!!!

3. Ooops

The report can be found here and here

4. sounds like just about all apprilias.

5. Thanks for the links!

6. Oops. Sounds like the 2nd article was pre-prepped.

7. mmm sounds like a mixture of poor manufacturing and poor design.

8. Meh, at least it happened in pre-production models. Honda released the VFs with poor oil circulation that cost serious money and reputation to fix.

9. That's some lame baiting right there fella! =D>

One thing aprilia has is a good reputation on the reliability front. Obviously using Rotax to build the motors was a great idea.

10. The machined big end hole is slightly off-centre, so one side of the rod is thinner than the other and that’s where the crack has occurred.

They must have hired some 50s British engineers :LOL:.

11. It's a common ploy to claim that a part or whole bikes were "pre-production" when something goes wrong. Since the bikes have already been on sale and have been bought for ages in Europe, it seems more than just a little disingenuous to expect us to believe that they had pre-production bikes on hand to be tested by the world's motorcycle media.

12. There's one at the dealership in Ringwood, too. Saw it today.

13. I believe the models being released are the base models. The models you see on the showroom floor are supposed to be the race homologation version. There should be enough differences between them to mean that new components were being used.

Aprilia is owned by Piaggio and they have a pretty good reputation for reliability.

14. Yeah, it's fair to note that the release was of the lower-spec "R" model and that no such reliability issues have affected the "Factory" (much more expensive) model in either racing or road use so far.

All the same, it is a worry, since a good percentage of the potential buyers will be looking at buying the "R" model rather than the "pukka" racing, "Factory" model.

You would think that they'd have got it right, wouldn't you?

15. Absolutely, my comment was mainly in relation to the inferred suggestion that the bikes on the dealership floors (at $33k) are the same ones that apparently blew up on the launch and the incredulity that they can't be 'pre-production units'.

I've sat on the Factory version :) There is one as a demo up in my local Aprilia shop. It is simply beautiful and so small. Amazing really.

16. Pre-production and some one-off parts get made a bit wrong. No big deal. When the production begins and it's all locked in place it should be right. Unfortunate, but it happens. It's just more often some less critical part of the many, many pieces that make a bike.

They found the issue before production, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

17. Did you ask them to start it?

[​IMG]

18. All disclaimers aside, I doubt if such a catastrophic and public failure of a test vehicle has happened in a long while; except perhaps the famous Ford Typhoon gearbox disaster, but then again, that manifested itself after people had bought the car :LOL:.

19. Just reading the piece in AMCN, you've just gotta put your hands together for the masterpiece of spin they put on it.

Maybe there's a job in the Brumby Government for these guys and their writing?

20. Spin? The Marketing guys put spin on things?! Absurd! :eek:

Like Cejay's already mentioned the ones in the shops at the moment are the Factory version, not the poor man's R version.

Another point to note is that it is safe to assume that those five were all built at the same time from the same run of parts - hence the catastrophic failure of the same part. The bike has been showcased to the USA dealers (See AF1 for the run down) with no problems arising so I'd say it was a localised problem.

On the up side, now that such a big fault has been found I can only imagine how bullet proof the new parts will be. Aprilia and Piaggio wont want to sully their reputations further with a repeat happening to customer bikes.