Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia Falco SL1000

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by conspiracytheorist, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Hey all. Today I saw an SL1000 and fell in love with the looks of it. The price isn't too extreme for being an Aprilia either.. Anyone ridden/owned one /know much about them/ can point me towards such info?

Cheers,

phiz

edit:
    [​IMG]

2. I looked fairly seriously at one of these a few months ago. they are apparently a very reliable bike. The suspension is meant to be a bit harsh. The riding position in harder than the bike.

Keep in mind the parts support network has never been good and my impression is it's even getting worse. The dealers are blaming the distributors, the distributors are blaming the factory and no-one seems to be taking responsibility.

Expect to get factory parts from the states.

I'd still have one, but the one I was looking at was really good value and I missed it. The others about after that didn't seem like such good value.

Given the parts network problem, I'm not sure I'd rely on one for daily transport.

3. Phizog, I think Tex had one befor his current ride if that helps.

I agree it's a pretty bike.

4. Really loved my Caponord before I sold it to JohnG, these are obviously a bit quicker :shock:

check out www.apriliaforum.com

[EDIT] Forgot to add, poor resale (good for buying used), potential parts delays (someone on here mentioned three months) - as only means of transport, I'd look at something else

5. I thnk you'll find Tex had a RSV1000 Factory :wink:

6. Thanks for the input. Something I'll have to seriously look into when I can afford it (as a second bike, not for daily use). But I'll test ride one soon and read some reviews :) Thanks for the link alex.

7. They run the RSV engine in a milder state of tune. From my Tuono experience it would be a bloody good motor. The rest of the bits would be typical Aprilia, ie very good but hard to find replacements if it got dropped. Remember the name AF1 in the states if you ever need parts.

I've seen some great value Falcos around and would not hesitate getting one if I had the cash. Would seriously kick the crap out of a VFR or Sprint in the sports tourer segment and monster some sportsbikes if ridden with a focus. Plus they look uber cool (wheres the bloody umlaut key?).

8. Sorry can't help .. BUT :shock: Good lookin Bike !!

9. I'd almost bought one of these when they first came out, but then started reading stories about long delays for even quite common parts. I still like the look, idea, and concept of the bike though.

10. Yeah I'm suprised they still don't make them. They really are one of the best all round motorcycles on the market, whereas the other Aprillias are just too hard edged or butt ugly.