Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aprilia Caponord

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Toecutter, May 22, 2006.

1. Well just read bonox's rave about the R1200GS so thought I'd give you my views on my Aprilia Caponord

My first flirtation with "Adventure Bikes" was at a Ulysses Rally at Armidale in early Feb. Friend had a V-Strom 1000, bought it as an ex demo so already had panniers. But with mag wheels any decent pothole could leave you stranded and I have always been a fan of spokes (but not tubes...)

Having met Jaqhama at Homebush Brewery a few times and talking to him about doing some different riding. Dirt is something I've always enjoyed on trail bikes but it is no fun on a Harley :shock:

So the search began and heaps of choice out there; from V-Stroms (650 & 1000), Yammie TDM's, Italians do the Cagiva Navigator (Suzi engine) and Ducati Multistrada, the Triumph Tiger was also a good looker but not many used ones. KTM's are King of the dirt but as a mostly road rider would much prefer the comfort. BMW's have the F650GS - (liked the Dakar :cool: ) and of course the Big Twin GS series.

Met up with Jaqhama at the BMW dealer to test ride a Dakar and he said have you thought about an Aprilia Caponord - I said "a what!?!". There was 2002 model (1st reg 10/03) for sale that had a few marks on it but the price was pretty sharp - less than half new price, with logbooks, panniers and only 18,500kms. I didn't mind it, a pretty rare bike, exposed frame and nice fairing with clear instrumentation that looks cool at night with blue background. Not too mention the one thing I really wanted was a V-Twin engine. Effectively a detuned Tuono/Mille that makes;

Power: 98.00 HP (71.5 kW)) @ 8250 RPM
    Torque: 97.10 Nm (9.9 kgf-m or 71.6 ft.lbs) @ 6250 RPM

As it was raining they wouldn't let me take it for a test ride so booked in for the following week.....plenty of net research and found out that the Capo had a big following overseas. With some confusion regarding ownership of Aprilia and parts can be a hassle, price of Aprilia's have come down. As I am not a daily rider I can live with it. Liked the fact it had awesome tubless spoked wheels and that the Capos are not a common bike (have had a few guys on sports bikes taking more than a longer glance at it ).

Tuesday came and rode for a few hours hours and about 130km's with a good run to Sydney's Royal National Park. The road is pretty crappy with plenty of cracks and bumps and undulations - but the Capo just revelled in it. I am no sports bike rider but was pushing OK through the corners on the street orientated tyres - and surprised me how hard the bike actaully went. Best thing was the lack of any vibration - handlebars felt fine up to 7,000rpm. Found a bush track and stood up on the pegs and the bike went really well - managed to do a slide in the mud and thought about the $2,000 excess so calmed down.

Picked Capo up last Friday and the first thing I tried to do was reduce some of the buffeting - a very upright screen has resulted in me removing it completely and now much comfier. It can be cut down and I already have an offer of someone on south side of Sydney who wants to swap mine becuase his pillion doesn't like the reduced screen.

Managed to go for a ride on a mountain bike track near home following my mate on a CRM 250 with nobbies. Well the fun strated straight away with a steep downhill with plenty of corrugations and erosion. Then the jumps, so long as you maintain throttle the bike handled it very well - whilst no Crusty Demon, very surefooted upon landing. Then I saw this hill in front of us. I doubted my ability here, and sure enough three quarters of the way up as the track turned sharp left, it was here that the road tyres lost traction and I started sliding down the marbles which resulted in me laying the bike down (pretty gently and very minor damage - bar ends worked well). So holding my baby up off the ground on a steep slope with no chance of being able to lift it. Mate comes back and we manage to get it to a semi flat piece about halfway up the hill - then I realised I had to ride down this rock strewn track. So after leaking a fair bit of petrol when on its side, started first go and up on the pegs again and made it to the bottom. The jumps were fun again, and the entry track with the corroguation was handled much better. By this time I was buggered, so I went back to the carpark where all the mountain bikers were coming and going. Pulled up, lit a smoke and a guy comes over and asks me what kind of bike I had. Had a chat then he said "you didn't ride it in there did you?" So all smiles and he tells me about his $6,000 mountain bike :shock: and I tell him about the fun of trail biking on a 215kg behemoth for only a few thousand more.....

Love what I got - it sings on the open road and can do some trail biking - (more than I thought it could). Need a smaller front sprocket (currently 17 tooth) and with nobby tyres and a better rider there wouldn't be too much stopping the Capo. Heading away to cabins at Megalong Valley (near Blue Mountains) for a week in July chasing the kids on their minibikes so will get plenty of practice.

Many thanks to Jaqhama for his assistance and introducing me to the dealers over his side of Sydney.

2. Nice one!

I've seen a Caponord ridden in anger by a Tassie-bound mate of Glitch's. Very impressive. Couldn't see it for long!

Enjoy, sounds like great fun.
  3. They're not in production anymore,according to the website,and not that common secondhand... :(
  4. There's a guy with a Capo who commutes on the Monash . I was admiring it the other day - they're nice-looking bikes. :)
  5. I like the face of it !
    Looks like Optimus Prime !

All it needs is a Autobot logo on its forehead ! :grin: