Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

aprilia 125rs vs honda cbr250rr

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by junny22, Aug 11, 2005.

1. hey all,
    just got my riding L's yesterday and after years of driving on a full car licence it was odd to be holding L plates again :facepalm:

im on the market to buy a bike now and i have a mate wanting to sell me his 94 cbr250rr for $4000 and it seems like the way to go, but i've heard the aprilia125rs has better power to weight ratio than the cbr even tho its a 125. its also alot cheaper (found a 98 model advertised at $3000).

anyway, just wanted to know what ya'll thought.

cheers

2. The RS125 is a 2 stroke, hence the comparable power. Its is also lighter, so yes, you're friend was right. They are both great bikes. Ride them, see which one you like best. Both bike present similar problems, and similar advantages, so to say one is better than the other is not really possible. Also call around some insurance companies and find out what the difference in premiums is. it might shock you, and also help to make your decision easier :)

3. also consider a fzr250 or zx2r. I don't think the 2 stroke is what your after, a little too much maintaining for a learner bike. you said you have been driving for years, if your over 30 then when u get your P's after 3 months on your L's you can get a bigger bike anyway and not worry bout tha restrictions.

4. Aprilia might have a slight edge in performance over the Honda, but you should consider other things as well as the above mentioned.

Do you plan on doing much riding? 2-smokes generally like a top end rebuild every 20,000k's. The range of the Aprilia may only be around half of the Honda also, and it drinks oil ($) as well as petrol. Not bagging either, they have different servicing requirements, and the Aprilia will give you more enjoyment when pushing through the twisties, but can you live with it for 90% of the time when you're not doing this?

The above prices are very cheap for each model, I would certainly be looking closely before laying down my moolah...

5. ferchrissake, you're in NSW !!
    Does ANYONE ever inform themselves what they're getting into ??

Forget the 250 stuff and get something you won't have to sell after your time's up...
    You got LAMs and can ride any of the LAMs bike. There are way more suitable Learner bikes around than screampot-250s...
    Since you're online, check it out !!!

6. Also the 250's and smaller bikes are loosing value in NSW in comparison to Vic!!

$4000 for a CBR is a good price if it is in good condition...

7. looked up some of those bikes on the LAM list, still leaning towards the cbr tho, it looks the best, hehe. im only 22 tho, so im thinkin of keepin the bike that i get for a while anyway plus it'll be my daily driver.

thanks for the feedback people.

8. 4 Stroke is the only way to go. Just get yourself a nice clean 250 that is the most comfortable for you to ride. Then when its time for big bike worry about what looks good.

9. ....or self indulge and get yourself a LAM's approved RVF400. You just know it makes sense! Twice the price but you will keep it more than twice as long!

10. Yes, it is.

The BabyBlade kicks seven shades of shit out of the RS125 in almost every respect.

There. That was easy.

Seriously, you'd buy the RS125 if you did bugger-all freeway work and if you didn't mind caning your bike mercilessly absolutely everywhere you went. The BabyBlade can be bimbled about on in the bottom half of the rev range; the RS125 can't. After a while, that type of shit gets tiring. The BabyBlade's also roomier.

11. The RS125 is absolutely great fun to ride, thanks to the powerband. I have a ZZR250 myself, and I find that much more practical and easier to ride.

Comparatively in laments term, my ZZR puts a smile on my dial but the RS puts a really big smile on my dial, just not as long.

Give them all a test ride if you can. You're choice. :)

12. Why does everyone make this mistake? If you are over 30, you can go and get your L's, the next day if you want to you can go nd get your P's, and then ride whatever you want. Assuming you hold or are eligible to hold a gold license. You do not have to wait 3 months.

13. its late and im bored and this thread came up.

i would like to add my 2cents by saying that the rs125 is way slower than a zx2r or cbr250. my mate got one a few wks ago and i have to say, i smoke it in first easily and **** it in 2nd. they may be 2strokes but they slow as piss.

14. I own a CBR250RR and I also considered a Aprilla, I chose the CBR250RR because

- More common, cheaper and easier for parts

- Insurance was cheaper

- I've owned Honda cars all my life, and they've been great

- Like the look of the CBR

It's really preference mate....buy whatever is in good nic at the right price...

15. Daily rider, 4 stroke anything.

I would hate to have to sit on a 2 stroke all day everyday.
    I dont know much about the newer RS125's but do they now have elec start?
    I dont wanna kick something every morning when im trying to get my head out of sleep mode either.

A lot can be wrong with a 4 stroke before it wont go anymore, not a lot has to go wrong with a 2 stroke before it simply refuses to start leaving you kicking and kicking and swearing and sweating. Not my idea of a good morning.

16. ... or you could get something bigger.

I got a (now de-restricted) Hyo GT650R(L) and gotta say that I think it would be better than both the RS and CBR.

More fun, more power, bigger bike so you will keep it longer and best of all, a shit load more toque!

CBR would be a little nicer to ride around town. RS would be better to throw through the national park or a track.

I'd hope you stay infront of it cause you wouldn't be found in the smoke haze of the RS!

The RVF's would be sweet, but they are twice the price and still a small bike. There getting on in years now too.

I'd look around at more than just the few bikes that have been suggested here. And remember that in NSW we have the LAMS so take advantage of it!

17. ... or you could get something bigger.

I got a (now de-restricted) Hyo GT650R(L) and gotta say that I think it would be better than both the RS and CBR.

More fun, more power, bigger bike so you will keep it longer and best of all, a shit load more toque!

CBR would be a little nicer to ride around town. RS would be better to throw through the national park or a track.

I'd hope you stay infront of it cause you wouldn't be found in the smoke haze of the RS!

The RVF's would be sweet, but they are twice the price and still a small bike. There getting on in years now too.

I'd look around at more than just the few bikes that have been suggested here. And remember that in NSW we have the LAMS so take advantage of it!

18. ... or you could get something bigger.

19. You read to many magazines.

Having spent a fair amount of time on both bikes I can say you are wrong. The RS125 is surprisingly comfortable and doesnt need to have its neck rung for it to move. Go dig up a magazine with a road test in it (I'm sure you'll have 4 or 5) and see if you can find a power chart.

20. get an RGV. :LOL:

but seriously if u wanna look pretty and make lotsa noise get the CBR. $4000 for a tidy example, with acceptable milage is a decent buy.