Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Apr 6, 2013] GAR All Day Ride (7- Eleven, Cnr Stud & Wellington Rds Rowville)

Discussion in 'VIC' started by moto2, Mar 12, 2013.

You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
GAR All Day Ride
7- Eleven, Cnr Stud & Wellington Rds Rowville
Confirmed Attendees: 0
Posted By: moto2
Start Date: Apr 6, 2013 05:00
End Date: Apr 6, 2013 17:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +11:00 AEDT
  1. #1 moto2, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    All day ride taking in the Great Alpine Road.

Direction of travel will be Bairnsdale, Falls Creek, Bright, Mansfield. Route at https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid=209035957125381584225.0004d7b649871681c7993&msa=0

Start Location: 7-Eleven, Cnr Stud & Wellington Rds Rowville
    Start Time: 5.15am meet for 5.30am departure

Ride Level: This will not be a fast ride, it will be at posted limits on the highways and at advisory or lower in the twisty stuff. It is a long ride with minimal stops so you must be prepared for that.

I will go in most weather conditions but will post up if I cancel ride.

Yes it is an early start but it is a big day. Get the boring part out of the way early and then enjoy the rest of the day. If it gets to late on the day I may skip the Eildon bit and head straight home from Mansfield but can discuss on the day if anyone else comes along.

2. Your map doesn't appear to be saved - have you created a google account to save it to?
  3. Ambitious day out.

The early start will put off many. I have done the same route ina day but starting at 9 from bairnsdale. Got home at 7 pm
  4. I agree. Too early of a start for me.

I will be doing similar sort of 1000kay+ rides soon. The thing is these kind of days might be better alone where you don't spend too much time on lunch/chatting. I'm not trying to be antisocial, but its the only way to make time. It depends though, if you found like minded people you could make excellent time. Just a thought.
  5. Fixed the link. I created an account but put the wrong link up.
  6. It is an early start. I thought I'd do the boring bit to Bairnsdale early. I'd rather leave earlier and get back hopefully in the daylight than leave later and finish in the dark. It also means maybe slightly longer breaks during the ride.

I don't really expect to get many people. It's a big ride and an early start. If I get one person that's good or I'll go alone.

My aim is to see how the new bike goes on a long trip and work towards doing a FarRiders ride. This ride is only 100kms short but the trick with the FarRiders is getting somewhere 500kms away by 11.30am have lunch and then get home. Will have to work on that. The one to Mallacoota on the 2nd November might be a good one to try.
  7. Sunrise on April 6 is at 7.40am so the first two hours of riding will be in the dark. Google Maps tells me that's a 906km round trip, taking 13 hours and 41 minutes with no breaks. You're going to do it at the speed limit including several breaks and fuel stops in 11 hours 30 minutes.

That's a seriously ambitious one day ride. Best of luck with it but I'll pass :)
  8. interesting. I MIGHT be in... will have to wait and see closer to the date. Been a while since i did a 900km day, but ive thought about doing this for a while.

edit: could always cheat and stay in lakes entrance over night :)
  9. Leave Melbourne and do Licola and dargo then overnight in bairnsdale.

Then do the rest up and over falls around to Whitfield and back home. Great weekend away.
  10. That does sound good. The Minister for Everything only gives out day passes though.
  11. take her along
  12. It has been my experience that the times estimated on Google Maps are somewhat pessimistic. For example Google maps tells me it is 109km from Wagga to Tumbarrumba and that it would take me 1hr 48mins. I know I can do it in 1hr 15mins at the speed limit.
  13. Then you need to ADD back in re-fuel, rest stops etc
  14. Umm, Why would I need to add in rest stops and fuel stops when it takes me less time than Google tells me it will.
  15. Sounds like a great day out. I've done a similar ride, but started & finished in Geelong. In under 12 hours. But I didn't sit at the speed limit. Got stopped by the law, but no wallet lightening occurred. Left home at about 8am. The last bit home was in the dark but being freeway it didn't matter at all. Perhaps look at modifying your route to incorporate something like that. Odd things have a way of cropping up on big distance rides. Just a thought. It's a great ride. Not too hot or cold at the moment, which makes for more comfortable long distance sprints. Have fun
  16. god damn it.... i have to go to a wedding that day
  17. Looking like a good day out - Agree with @blackadder - be mindful of the distance and keep the stops brief. Don't forget to have fun!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Does look nice. Have a good one guys.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. No worries, there will be more later in the year.

I'm keen to redo one joetdm lead a while back. GOR then warnnambool, grampians, avoaca, woodend, kilmore, whittlesea, was close to 1000km if I remeber correctly. I only made it to woodend before bike trouble started and then limped home from kilmore straight up the hume.

It was a 5am start as well but was a good day. Keen to finish something I started.
  20. Thanks for all that. I'm doing the boring bit to Bairnsdale early and in the dark so hopefully will get most of the way home before darkness hits at night.