Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Apr 27, 2013] Rescheduled: 3rd Saturday Brekky Burn #3 - Putty Rd

Discussion in 'NSW' started by GJ384, Apr 4, 2013.

Rescheduled: 3rd Saturday Brekky Burn #3 - Putty Rd
Start Date: Apr 27, 2013 08:00
End Date: Apr 27, 2013 15:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +10:00 AEST

Grey Gum Cafe
8679 Putty Road
Putty, NSW 2330

Posted By: GJ384

Confirmed Attendees: 10
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 10
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. #1 GJ384, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    Once again the general idea behind these rides is that we meet at one of the Caltex servos on the M4 (either eastbound or westbound depending on which way we're heading) at 7.30am for an 8am departure, and head off somewhere for a late breakfast, with everyone able to get back home in time for lunch. All rides take place on the 3rd Saturday of every month.

Please note that this month's ride is more ambitious and longer than the previous two Brekky Burns rides - if you're pressed for time you may wish to just come for part of the ride and head home rather than doing the full loop (I may end up leaving early myself - haven't yet decided).

DATE: Saturday 27 April 2013

DURATION: 3-6 hours, depending on how far you go and your return route (see below).

MEET POINT: EASTBOUND Caltex service station on the M4 at Eastern Creek (NOT the go-karts side) - meet 7.30am for 8am departure.

ADDITIONAL MEET POINT: McDonald's McGraths Hill - meet 8.30am for 9am departure.

Anyone - this ride is learner friendly and all are welcome - the only rule is no idiots. By that I mean we'll stick to the speed limit, there will be no wheelies or dangerous/reckless riding, and if you want to overtake you do so in the next lane to the right - not on the left, and not in the same lane as the person you're overtaking.

Note however that some parts of this ride will be on roads which have posted limits above 80km/h, and some learners might not be comfortable on those roads given the faster other traffic which might be around. You must ride your own ride - do not try to keep up with others if you're not comfortable going as fast as they are. We'll have a tail end Charlie (TEC) at the back of the group to keep an eye on you if you're having any trouble - but if at any time you're feeling pressured by faster vehicles behind you, just find a safe spot to pull over and allow them to pass. The TEC will catch up and wait with you until you're back on the road again.

DESTINATION & ROUTE: Putty Rd - breakfast at Grey Gum Cafe, lunch at Cockfighter Creek Tavern, Bulga. Refuel at Broke and back via Putty Rd. (click here for map).

8.30am - meet at McGraths Hill McDonalds (http://goo.gl/maps/wU5oK)
    9.00am - depart McGraths Hill McDonalds
    10.15am - breakfast/coffee at Grey Gum Cafe (http://goo.gl/maps/PsLpH)
    10.45am - depart Grey Gum Cafe
    11.45am - lunch at Cockfighter Creek Tavern (http://goo.gl/maps/H7QDP)
    12.45pm - depart Cockfighter Creek Tavern
    1.00pm - refuel at Broke (http://goo.gl/maps/GHpqF)
    1.15pm - depart Broke
    3.30pm - arrive back at McGraths Hill McDonalds

Total return trip (ex McGraths Hill) is 336km.

Alternatively, for those who can only do the morning, you might want to just come to Grey Gums and then return back via Putty Rd - 176km all up (http://goo.gl/maps/MbyZ8):

8.30am - meet at McGraths Hill McDonalds (http://goo.gl/maps/wU5oK)
    9.00am - depart McGraths Hill McDonalds
    10.15am - breakfast/coffee at Grey Gum Cafe (http://goo.gl/maps/PsLpH)
    10.45am - depart Grey Gum Cafe
    12.00pm - arrive back at McGraths Hill McDonalds

- This ride will have a ride leader who knows the route.
    - A TEC will ride at the back to keep an eye on Ls/Ps and make sure no-one gets left behind.
    - Given that it's a longer ride we will also need corner markers, who will stop on the side of the road with their indicator on in the direction of the turn.

I'd specifically like to have some volunteers to act as corner markers at each of the following intersections:
    - Grey Gums driveway (easily missed if you don't know what you're looking for)
    - Putty Rd/Milbrodale Rd

Please think about whether you'd like to fill any of the above supervising roles (2x leaders, 1x TEC and 2x corner markers) and make it known in this thread if you'd like to volunteer. I'll bring a few hi-vis vests on the day for those who are taking supervising roles on this ride - we don't want anyone left behind or heading off down the wrong way.

As always, suggested changes to the route are always welcome.

Eastbound M4 Caltex - 7.30am for 8am depart (2)
    GJ384 / Gareth
    Nelson (NSWRiders)

McGraths Hill McDonalds - 8.30am for 9am depart (25-26)
    MadAzz300 / Lee
    gs250rr / Gaurav
    jaBBer's mate
    Colonel Flagg
    BOB88R / Bobby
    Siwagod / Miles
    Wil02 / Wil
    Navodit (NSWRiders)
    Dewat / Michael (NSWRiders)
    logana / Antman (NSWRiders)
    HillsVtwin / Mark (NSWRiders)
    stew066 / Stew (NSWRiders) - maybe
    +10 more going on the Stroud overnight ride

If the weather is again uncertain, I will make a call at 6am and post here to say whether or not the ride is going ahead.
  2. i will attempt to join this one... just have to determine if i am determined enough to get to wilberforce at 830 from the coast...

how many bikes rock up for these shindigs usually?
  3. hey @Alex2761, here's the Thread that I told you last Saturday.
  4. Learner friendly, I'm in for sure!!!
    Sounds like a good day.
  5. I'm thinking about changing the Wilberforce meet point to a different servo at Rouse Hill - let me know if that would make it any more convenient for you, although the start time won't be much different...

As for numbers, the first ride (up Bells Line to Hartley) we had about 8-10 I think, the second (via Deus Ex Machina then through RNP to Scarborough Hotel) I think we had about 16-18. Hoping for even better this time but so far I think we've got about 6-7 signed up between this forum and the NSWRiders group. It's a longer ride than the previous ones but hopefully that doesn't scare too many people off.

6. hmmm... wilberforce would mean an early (possibly foggy) ride through the gorge, rouse hill would mean i may be able to leave a tiny bit later...

6 of one, half dozen of the other
  7. Count me in.
  8. Following feedback from another rider joining us from the NSWRiders forum, I've changed the route as follows (click here for map):
    - Swapped the Wilberforce servo meet point for McGraths Hill Maccas.
    - Changed the start point to the EASTBOUND (NOT the go-karts side) Caltex, with the ride starting by going up Reservoir Rd then Sunnyholt Rd to get to Old Windsor Rd, then pulling into McGraths Hill Maccas to pick up the rest of the riders.

This way we avoid the M7 and associated tolls, as well as having a (hopefully) more convenient second meeting point for those coming from the north.

Total ride time now 5h 50min / 369km.

Feedback anyone?
  9. Just found out today I have to work sat so I'm out, next time I guess
  10. i also wont be able to make it this weekend. house work to do....
  11. hi GJ384 ... do you guys proceed even if raining?
  12. Hey @jaBBer, from experience rain forecast will change, hence, decision to cancel the ride is done usually on at least 2hours (early morning) before the ride. Sometimes, the night before the ride.

Paging @GJ384! :)

BTW, as part of the requirements in the forum you should introduce yourself in the Welcome Forum. We are a bunch of friendly riders here, no hoons. ;)

Anyway, Welcome to NetRider! :peace:
  13. I'm in.. hoping the weather plays nice tho.. looks good(ish) so far

Saturday 20 April
    Cloudy. Isolated showers about the Lower Hunter. Winds west to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h turning southerly 25 to 35 km/h during the morning then becoming south to southwesterly and light during the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between 6 and 10 with daytime temperatures reaching between 16 and 20.

Looks like thermals, a balaclava and winter gloves are the go..
  14. thanks BOB88R & MadAzz300 riding is just more enjoyable in the dry :) though have ridden in the wet many times.
    sorry guys haven't introduced myself properly :rolleyes: will do a proper one in the welcome forum & a formal one this Saturday ;)
  15. @GJ384, we'll meet you in Maccas McGraths Hill.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sorry guys, thought I'd sent a reply/update this morning but looks like it didn't get through!

Spot on Bobby - I'm planning to make a call at 6am. If it's too rainy I will cancel the ride - but all that really means is that I'm going to chicken out and stay home; the rest of you would be free to face the elements by yourselves if you so choose!

Having said that, the weather forecast at this stage varies from horrible to perfect, if a little chilly:

BOM (http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml):
    25-50mm rain, most of it in the morning, and 15-20 degrees

yr.no (http://www.yr.no/place/Australia/New_South_Wales/Sydney/):
    Rain all day, 14-17 degrees

Accuweather (http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/sydney/22889/daily-weather-forecast/22889?day=2):
    Zero rain, 9-20 degrees

From personal experience I've found Accuweather to be the most reliable of the three above, but since there's so much variation in forecasts I think it's too early to make a call.

Stay tuned...
  17. These are the numbers as of 6:15pm Friday:

Colonel Flagg

I'm also expecting another 7 from the NSWRiders forum, and 2 more from the Sydney L&P Riders Facebook group - gives us 16 altogether.

As for meet points, I know Gaurav is going to McGraths Hill, along with most of the others from the NSWRiders forum, and I'm meeting one guy from NSWRiders at Eastern Creek.

Could the rest of you please post to say which meet point you're planning to start at? Don't want to leave anyone behind if they're running late.
  18. stay safe guys, RTA reporting very slippery conditions on the Putty
    • Like Like x 2
  19. i've got a mate who's keen to join in the ride. we're meeting up with BOB88R at the Hassal Grove servo cnr Luxford & Buckwell.
  20. Fantastic - that makes 20. I'll update the list.