Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Applying for licence

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by bymannan, Dec 2, 2015.

1. #1 bymannan, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Hey all,

VICROADS are not very clear with this. As far as I can see, once I get my L permit I only need to wait 3 months before I can apply for the 'full' licence. That's it? Do I need a log book or something like that?
  2. Howdy bymannanbymannan , you just need to wait the 3 months before you can go for the licence test. You do not need to keep any proof.

The 3 months is the minimum time period that you must have held your Learner Permit before going for your Licence.

To get a motorcycle licence you:
    • be at least 18 years of age, and
    • must be a Victorian resident, and
    • have held a current Australian motorcycle learner permit continuously for at least 3 months in the period immediately prior to applying for a motorcycle licence, or
    • you hold or within the past five years have held, a motorcycle licence issued in Australia, New Zealand or another country.

3. Thanks. Then the practice test is the same as the L test? Just a small go at that controlled area?
  4. Yeah it is, you generally do a few controlled brake tests (up to 20kms then stop between witches hats etc) , left and right turns, ride in a controlled manner changing from 1st to 3rd etc. The ride slowly through the 2 lines thing, and the awesome Christmas light brake/turn test.

I found the L test to be much harder due to the self induced stress levels i put on myself. The whole stall or put your foot down thing was a bit off putting (1st time i had ridden a road bike and mine had a bent clutch lever oh the joy of it all)

If you have been riding your own bike for 3 months its a breeze.

5. Thanks. I what to get it done before they change the roles and make it harder.
  6. Have you gone and done your L's yet?
  7. No I haven't. I am reading the hand book as we speak (write).
  8. You may want to book in soon in that case as i do believe "Stage 2" starts in March 2016. I'd be asking HART or whomever you do your L's with if they have a firm date.
  9. Thanks! I'll try to complete this as soon as I can.
  10. Reckon theres a good chance you'll be too late to get the easier license test. Suggest you book your L's ASAP, but you might be too late. Good Luck.
  11. Tests are different. I don't think there has been a change in them as yet. and you have to have your L's for a minimum of 3 months subject to the above. Here are the current tests. do you have your L's yet?

Attached Files:

12. You don't get a FULL licence after 3 months. You are still restricted for 3 years. That means a LAMS bike, no pillion and zero BAC.
    However, you do get to lose the L plate and high viz vest.
  13. Well if I do the L now at least I won't need the L road test and the L day training or whatever they plan for us.