Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Apple OOPS

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by vic, Nov 27, 2009.

1. iMac owners
    November 26, 2009 - 4:34PM

When Apple first announced the 27-inch iMac last month, tech enthusiasts the world over were rubbing their hands together at the prospect of owning one of largest all-in-one computer screens ever built.

But many of those same buyers are now flocking to the Apple user forum to report a multitude of hardware problems and voice their disappointment with the new iMac.

More than 600 posts have been devoted to problems with the 27-inch machine on the Apple forum, with the most commonly reported fault manifesting as a flicker or blackout that happens intermittently when the screen is switched on. This issue has been reported by users as far afield as North America, Europe and Australia.

“Got my new iMac shipped from Shanghai the very day they launched. Was really excited but now really dissapointed by this recurring problem . . . Sometimes the screen completely blacks out for 2-3 seconds on intervals of 5-6 secs and the machine becomes useless,” wrote a forum user in the US.

“My problem is that the display seems to have this glitch. It happens mostly when I switch on after the display has been asleep for a while. Apple do not know what the problem is as I am on to them almost every day,” wrote an Australian user.

A number of YouTube videos have also been posted by users highlighting the problem, while some prospective iMac customers have decided to postpone their purchases until they are certain any reported problems are fixed.

“Thanks. Just canceled my iMac order. I could have lived with a screen that is really a big mirror but if it also flickers that is a showstopper, sorry Apple,” said a forum user in the Netherlands.

The problems with Apple's latest batch of iMacs are not confined to flickering. Some US users have also complained about the high end units with Intel's Core i7 chip arriving dead on arrival (DOA) or with cracked screens.

Staff at the Engadget blog wrote: “We're a little more familiar with the DOA issue, since the new i7 we just bought doesn't boot at all”.

Many users on the Apple forum have reported that the company is replacing their faulty units without cost, although one Australian user wrote on the MacTalk forum that he was being charged a $70 shipping fee because he was not located near an Apple store.

“Apple have a fairly good DOA policy. If you get a Mac and it doesn't work right, you've got 14 days to contact Apple and tell them what's wrong and chances are they will give you a replacement Mac instantly,” said Anthony Agius, editor of the MacTalk blog.

Apple would not comment on the nature or scope of the problems reported on its forum, but it advises any customer having an issue with a Mac to contact AppleCare for support on 133 622.
  2. I was thinking about this machine but not till it's fixed.
  3. #3 Bonk, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  4. Machine Always Crashes If Not The Operating System Hangs. :):):):):)
  5. #5 JP, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    That's not one of the new iMacs. That's the older white model.
    This one shows the problem on the new model.
    It's not uncommon for new Apple products to have problems. I usually wait for rev B of that particular product before I buy it, they usually have ironed out the bugs by then.
  6. It sounds like it was rushed to the market without adequate real-world testing? Certainly embarrassing for a company which claims to be an innovation leader.

Still, 27" screen, mmmm (Homer Simpson slobbery noises)
  7. The new 27" is a beautiful looking design, but I too would hold off for revision B.
  8. the only reason to buy it is for the 27" screen its great quality and worth $1500 alone.

the only one to buy is the 27" i5 incase any muppets want to not waste too much money
  9. Ahh so they're like Holden Commodores.
  10. Not really, rev a Apple products often have issues. The faithful say it a by-product of living on the cutting edge, and to certain extent that's true. But saying that with their penetration into more general markets that may have to change.
  11. Want!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Apple iMac test case:
    Engineer1: "Hey Bob, is that the new 27" iMac i7 ?"
    Engineer2: "Sure is".
    Engineer1: "Looks sweet!"
    Engineer2: "Sure does!"

Engineer3: Pass.
  13. No quite, Holden can't even get the mundane right first time...
  14. or by series II or III
  15. This is true with new technology, but there is'nt really any new technology in that thing, is there? We'be had 27" screens for a while now, this is just the first 27" imac. Just sounds like a case of poor qc
  16. Yeah but there aren't any other 27" all in ones with the extra heat and vibration etc, but yeah probably a qc issue...
  17. Do people still buy Apple Macs? :rofl:
  18. I used to work for an Apple Reseller back in the 90's (yes I'm an old fart). Their philosophy back then was to sell the new technology to early adopters at a high price and get them to Beta test it while at the same time recover some of the development costs. Nothing has changed.

The moral of the story is, if you want something new to show your friends, go Apple. If you want something reliable, buy something that's been tested by a couple of million users.
  19. Muttly that's hardly a valid comment it's always been Microsofts policy to have their users be their beta testers and to use their channel partners to fix at least 20% of the issues found.

I have a G4 17" Powerbook that I have only just replaced with a new mac book pro as it was getting too old, 5+ years now. Most reliable machine I have ever owned.

I commonly replace my PC desktops every year with work to avoid the crap that results from keeping them too long. Apple do have a history of manufacturing defects on some lines with Rev A's, so I do think you're better off waiting for the Rev B's.

That said everyone will tell you wait for the service pack from MS before using their latest OS and if PC's were so damn reliable we wouldn't have sooo many back yard IT mobs.
  20. With all due respect, every OS, application, firmware, driver etc has issues upon release to the general public and it isn't until there is widespread use that many bugs or issues surface. MS is notoriously unstable with every OS release and there is a good reason why most corporate environments will hold off on a rollout of a new OS until the first service pack is developed. Apple are not immune to the problem but they aren't alone by a long shot. In a closed environment its impossible to test for every possible scenario something is used for and real world use is really the only true test of something's capabilities. Anyone who isn't aware that bug fixes, updates, feature additions, security patches are rolled out constantly for their Apple/MS/UNIX/Linux OS, firmware updates for IT infrastructure and devices, PVR or other home theatre technology, phones (mobile and PBX)...the list is endless....then their head is firmly planted in the sand. I've had a lot of experience with corporate testing and development of released products and the resulting close partnership with vendors for resolution. In fact a few of the released patches for MS server OS's, Biztalk, SAP, and HP and SUN UNIX OS's came directly as a result of outages that I was involved in.

My ex-wife worked for Apple proper back in the 90's (pre iPod explosion) and your first statement simply sounds like the BS from an ex-salesman with an axe to grind quite frankly. I'd like to see the official statement on this business "philosophy" you claim.

Manufacturing defects are not uncommon in any first large release of a product and whilst companies work hard to minimise this it happens. The whole Six Sigma philosophy was built around trying to achieve zero defects in a manufacturing environment.