Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Apparently dead battery on Kawasaki GT550

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Wade Wrench, Dec 21, 2008.

1. With the ignition on and the start switch set to on, pressing the switch does nothing, not even a click. The strange part is even with the start switch in the off position, the fuel gauge is still lighted whereas it isn't normally. When I depress the start switch, the fuel gauge turns off. Blinkers aren't working either so there doesn't seem to be enough power except to light the neutral light.

I had a similar problem just a day before but the fuel gauge was lighted when the start switch was set to off and turned off when the start switch was set to on. I was able to fix the problem then as the bike was in the garage and plugging the battery charger in managed to get the bike started.

My bike is currently somewhere close to home but not close enough to wheel the bike home. So I'm currently evaluating what to do.

So do you guys think it's a dead battery? Where can I buy a battery for this motorcycle? I live in Higgins, Belconnen. I could possibly buy the battery, get my housemate to drive me out to the bike, replace the battery and hopefully it starts up.

Andrew

2. Sounds like a dead Battery to me. Try to start it with jumper leads. Tell us what happens.

3. I had one of these bikes - too heavy (top heavy!) to push five meters, let alone any distance! Yeh, sounds like dead battery, or less likely (given you have lights) bad battery terminal connections - mine used to get gooed up all the time and the bike would stall.

The bike have a voltage tester on the instrument cluster - have you used that to test the battery?

4. That feature doesn't tell you much.

5. Just an update. It was the battery afterall. Switched in a new battery and motorcycle started easily. The old battery appears to have rather depleted electrolyte. I wonder if it's worth topping up with distilled water. What should I do with it?

6. Dispose of it thoughtfully.