Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

apology to you all - first ride in a while

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ronin11, Jul 30, 2006.

1. as some of you know, i think i brought a lemon of a bike when i got the across, it doesnt like starting sometimes, and because im impatient, it usually ends up with a flat as a tack battery.. i think the problem might actually be battery, cause this is the second time a charge has got it started, although not straight away.. i dunno.. i need someone to look at it when im having the problem..

anywayz, the point of the post;
    after getting home from brendans, i decided to put the battery back in the bike (its been charging overnight) and after a couple of almosts.. IT STARTED!!!!!! i nearly fainted.. ive been starting it about weekly, maybe a bit less often for the last moth and letting it run cause i havent had a chance to get on it for a ride.. but last weekend (the first good one we had in a while) i went out to go for a ride and it woudlnt start. MAN was i pissed.. but not this weekend.. i got it going, so i i rush inside, get my gear on.. and went for a bit of a ride.. i only ended up taking a few backroads to williamstown for a smoke.. but it wasnt about where i was going, or the roads i took.. it was me finally being able to get out and enjoy being on the bike..

im sorry, i lost the faith in riding. i guess i forgot what i was missing out on. not being on the bike for so long i forgot how enjoyable it is to just get on the bike, spin the bottle and go that way.

im sure you have all experienced it.. its like being a kid and finding your favourite toy from 2 years ago in the bottom of the toybox one day. thats how getting out on the bike was for me today.

anyway. i just wanted to share that. :) thanks.

2. Dan, that is so cool, I can hear the excitement in your words.

Matey, take it to a mechanic, get some TLC lavished on it, and then take it out and treat it like it was built to be treated; they're meant to be ridden, not to be sad in the shed......
  3. Just in case you don't realise......

Having the bike sitting there running, unless you are holding at a few thousand revs, you are probably draining the battery. The Fire Blade needed to sit on about 4000-5000rpm before the alternator was producing enough power so there was surplus for charging the battery. The Across probably has a different rpm range where it gets above the eletrical drain of all the electrical components but it it more than likely a fair way above idle.
  4. Good on ya Danny.

Keep the faith man.

Now get your phaarking licence so you can get through your restrictions!!!

ps Kmart have a solar cell powered trickle charger!! True. Sounds like you could use one!
  5. :-O !

My Lego better be where I left it....
  6. That's great Ronin..now you can ride to the testing place TO GET YOUR PHARKIN LICENCE........:)
  7. I used to use the solar charger on Black Betty and it worked a treat.
    Rosalina has a newer technology battery and I haven't needed to charge her thus far.
  8. im kind of hoping its not sitting round enough to wrry about a trickle charger to be honest.. i9 might go score myself a cheap volt-meter and see if there something wrong with it or it is a dud battery..
  9. ALWAYS turn off the fuel tap overnight. The Across I had for a while suffered a kind of back flow o/night if I left the fuel tap on & flooded itself! Then the battery ran down while trying to start it! End result oil filled with petrol needed a major clean out by my mechanic. think he wanted to hit me with a lump of 4 x 2!
  10. :shock: :? Gee.....did Black betty mind...?

:LOL: :LOL: Couldn't help myself...I'm sure you were refering to your previous 2 wheeled love!..Hope Rosalina doesn't get jealous... :LOL:

11. Dan mate! Long time no speak hey?!

My bung arm is coming along nicely and I plan to get the new bike within the month so we have to go for a ride like I promised okay :cool: