Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anzac Day

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Tomorrow is Anzac Day. Whether you were born here, or came here to partake of the freedoms our gallant soldiers won, please attend a service, wave a flag at a march, or make a cup of tea and watch the march on TV.

The ranks of the diggers are thinning and soon there will be no more; let us send them to their final resting places with the knowledge that although the years have long passed, we have not, and will not, forget them.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
    Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.
  2. I agree.
    I don't support the current military efforts but the diggers fought for this country's freedom so we should show them respect.
    I attend a dawn service each year and often watch the march in town as well.
  3. A little bit off topic, but what I think of as the most moving speech about Gallipoli:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land. They have become our sons as well.
    - Mustafa Kemal (Attaturk)
  4. nothing like spending 2 hours ironing your polies ceromonial just for it to piss down rain in the first 5 mins of the catafalque party :LOL:

i saw an old bloke wearing his johny turk hat in the sports bar in town yesterday, most of the boys told him it was good to see him there.

although the old diggers are dissappearing, the amount if returned servicemen now is just ridiculous, especially compared to only a few years ago.
  5. Or spend 30 mins (as a guard party member) looking at the thermometer on the wall in front of you as it edges from 3 to 4 to 5 degrees..........

Ahhhh the memories..... :?