Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Whatever your political or social convictions, please take some time this Sunday to remember the brave men and women who gave up so much so that we might have so much.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
    Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
    There is music in the midst of desolation
    And glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
    Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow,
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again,
    They sit no more at familiar tables of home,
    They have no lot in our labour of the daytime,
    They sleep beyond England’s foam.

But where our desires and hopes profound,
    Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
    To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
    As the stars are known to the night.

As the stars shall be bright when we are dust,
    Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
    As the stars that are stary in the time of our darkness,
    To the end, to the end, they remain.
  2. As we did last year, my family and I will be attending the ANZAC Day march at The Entrance where we'll not only honour the sacrifice of service men and women past and present but watch as our wonderful young man, an Australian Army Cadet Corporal, pays his respects.

Lest we forget.
  3. #3 Thera, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    hornet you forgot to add : [media=youtube]gRqMMaCZfHI[/media] listen while you read it for those who are young. For many of us the bugle and the poem are enough to bring us to a sorrowful, mournful state of mind. It gives me shiver's and shakes my soul.

I only need to hear the first note and i'm a bit lost, for lack of a better word.

Anyone heading to dawn services please post up, it's a good experience. I've been on both sides for many years.
  4. I'll be at the Wollongong morning service tomorrow. I think giving up a Sunday sleep-in is the least I can do, apart from boycotting the shops which seem to care more about making money on ANZAC day than having a single iota of respect for those who have died.
  5. ill be marching in the city tomorrow for my grandfather, very emotional day
  6. ill be at the dawn service somewhere in the shire.
  7. For as long as I can remember back to my school days the thing that will always remain a constant is standing in an asphalt playground somewhere while someone from the student body stood out the front and recited two verses from Laurence Binyon's poem.

Though I was never fortunate enough to be chosen to do so, yet the very mention of the ode, and the recitation of its words, bring a chill to me. Unfortunately I'm not going to be at a dawn service tomorrow, nor will I be marching, though I am entitled to do so, but I WILL remember and be grateful, and at the going down of the sun and in the morning, I will remember them.
  8. I'll be at our local Dawn Service with my son. Then he may march with me later in the day.
  9. Wonderful day at Sydney, very well organised, bit of rain didnt scare anyone away
  10. I was away this weekend and couldn't go to the normal service.
    Instead I found that there was a little local service on at Port Campbell, the small fishing village I was at for a friends wedding.
    The sight of the sun coming up as it rose over the cenataph, on a cold wet windy beach, actually (IMO) made it one of the best services I have attended.
  11. I followed in my father's tradition. He was regular navy and saw service on the original HMAS Voyager (one of the famous Scrap Iron Flotilla) during the evacuation from Greece, the Crete campaign and the Tobruk runs.

He always said he spent 12 years getting up bloody early for the Navy and he wasn't going to ever do it again for anyone when he didn't have to! :)

While he kept in touch with a lot of his mates over the years and was proud of his naval service, not one of them ever marched on Anzac Day - neither did my Lighthorseman grandfather.

One of his wartime photos - taken during the first attack on the ship by German aircraft (as opposed to the Italian ones)

his comments on the back

12. When you think about the trauma counselling people get these days when their cat gets extricated from a drain, it's a miracle the WWII POWS and returned soldiers did such a fantastic job of building their lifes and familes and this country. They were as much heroes afterward as they were in war, in my opinion.
  13. I could not agree more. Well put.
  14. It was a different time and they were tougher men. Whilst no-one would ever want to go back to the conditions of those times, it's a pity that some of the toughness, moral fibre and honesty hasn't been inherited by a lot of todays youth.

Having said that I agree wholeheartedly they these men were true heroes.