Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ANZAC Day Guilt

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dan, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Hmm... Feels like a Friday night...
    Watching the footy...
    Useless posts on netrider...
    Sleep in tomorrow...

God Bless Public Holidays :)

However year after year I'm racked with ANZAC Day guilt. The guilt that I'm taking a day off work to 'remember' fallen heros and those who helped shape our nation and it's identity... and then just doing whatever the hell I want... make a long weekend of it... go away down the farm... sleep in... pig out... whatever

I've told myself many years in a row, 'this year, I'm going to a dawn service', but like all the other years I just won't. It's not like the Queens Birthday which is just indulgent crap that I'm happy to abuse :). I just feel bad that I take the holiday but don't really show the day the respect it deserves.

I suppose something can be said for enjoying a day off for leisure that is a celebration of the sacrifices that they made that allow us to enjoy it. But I reckon that everyday of freedom is that celebration, ANZAC Day is their day.

Am I the only one? :cry:
  2. Dan, I'm an ex-serviceman myself, and I have only marched once since 1979 when I got out of the Army. I didn't know what to expect, but it WAS an emotional experience, and I can't define why because although I was a conscripted soldier, I never went overseas to serve my country.
    I probably won't march tomorrow, but I will watch the march from Sydney as I have done since before I joined the Army.
  3. Ignore 'im, Mik, just a dumb troll and if we all ignore it, it will go away.
  4. I try to go down to the local RSL's service every year for the dawn service. Have only missed a few over the years.

I also try and get to the 11am Service every Rememberance Day.

I haven't decided if I'll go to the city service at the Shrine this year. It's always very packed, although the year I did go I must say the atmosphere was just awsome.

Think I might just go to the local RSL and pay my respects.

For those wanting march info for Melbourne CBD Click Here
    For Melbourne Suburbs RSLs, Click Here

5. The fact you can have a day off and pig out and have a good time, you might not have been able to if they hadnt a fighted. its what they woulda wanted, ITS YOUR FREEDOM!
  6. Well no guilts here, i'll be at the dawn service in Melb, and be getting up at 4am to get in there to attend too :shock:

And yeah your right Jabbo : they gave so we have a choice and the freedom to choose what we do tmw :cry:

lest we forget
  7. I'm going tomorrow even though none of my family were Australian before 1952. My great-grandfather, who was a Brit in the first and second world wars, lived to the ripe-old-age of 104.
  8. I'll be at the dawn service. A bit of respect for the men and women who gave us the freedom to say what we like.
  9. Harsh dude, very harsh! A bit of respect for someone gone, who was a father, son, whatever, to someone else is required as a bare minimum I reckon. Whether he was a soldier or not.
    I'm not a fan of the whole ANZAC day thing myself but respect why it is what it is to others. Why they need to get drunk by 10am escapes me :? and I don't think people are all war heros for having served. Hell, lots of them wouldn't have gone by choice, particularly the later serving 'hero's' from wars like Vietnam. For mine, the hero's are the one's who said I am going to fight for what we believe in and for my country, not the one's who were told, go and fight or you go to jail.
    I may be completely wrong as I don't know much Australian history(pretty slack at school).

As far as the guy from Iraq, sad that he's dead, but again, he's no hero to me.
  10. I think out of respect everyone should remember them and have a mins silence even if you can't make it to any services/marches whatnots.
    I personally think everyone of those guys who fought were heroes a lot had no choice in the matter. I don't go to any ceremonies but don't feel guilty for not doing so but I do respect.

As for that guy in Iraq mistakes happen hell that was such a harsh thing to say, whether a hero or not he was serving our country and not sitting on his ass doing nothing.
  11. my father served overseas (papua new guinea) for 4.5 years in world war two in raaf as leading aircraftman, he never marched and said he never would. He seen plenty of action too and also lost his best mates he grew up with. And if you look at my age, yes he fathered me well into his 50's :) The very things my father faught for, is being taken away from us slowly bit by bit. Freedom.
  12. Being ex military, I've done my share of AnzaC Day parades, have also been volunteered to do Cenataph duty and Guard of Honour at various country towns through out Victoria and Queensland. Every one of them was a duty, (try standing still in one spot with at rifle at reverse arms for a couple of hours and you will know what I mean)

In 79, a few of us were volunteered to accompany some old WW1 Digger's from the nursing home in Ipswich to Brisbane for the parade. Help them in and out of transport, march (shuffle) beside them, make sure they get back on the right nursing home bus.

First time I ever felt any emotion over AnzaC Day.

I don't march, I never saw war service and don't believe I have the right to march beside those that did.

But it would be a shame if what they did was forgotten
  13. Yes, Dan I know exactly what you mean. I say it every year and tomorrow another ANZAC DAY will go by and I won't be at the Dawn Service. My Father served in the Navy in WWII I know he had a ship torpoeded out from under him and that he spent a night on a Japanese occupied Island hiding from the enemy and I know he was shot, he bore the physical and mental scars until the day he died. He always said "I never want anyone to be as scared as I was" and my Father wasn't a Wussy man, but he really wouldn't talk about it much at all and he never marched. Two years ago I visited him in the Nursing Home and in amongst his usual demented ramblings I mentioned ANZAC day they had had a ceremony in the Home for the ex-service men and women. He just said to me "I have been extraordinarily fortunate and I fought so that other people could be as fortunate as I have been". We had a long talk. Later that day my Mother rang me and said "I thought you were visiting your Father today?" I replied that I had. She said "Oh he said he hasn't seen you for months". I laughed and said "it doesn't matter" and it doesn't because it was the last meaningful conversation we ever had.

Next year I will get out his medals and will drive to the shrine and take part. It seems wrong and somehow disrespectful to ride up there on a booming and clattering Duke and my Husband is taking the car to work tomorrow. Next year. :)
  14. I don't get up early. I don't march. I also don't feel guilty. I sit and think hard about all those men (and boys) who faught and gave their lives to protect ours. That's what we're suposed to do.

All also make a point of listening to this song.
  15. "Lest we forget"

Just the fact that it has come up as a subject here on the forum, shows that we have'nt forgotten...that's the important thing.
    As to what you might do on the day...that's up to each individual, but the fact that we have that freedom to choose, is exactly what my grandfather fought for.
    Enjoy it. :)
  16. That is really insensitive and careless. You don't have to go to the services, or watch the march, or give up a minute of silence, or give a $hit about any of that crap, but just remember we wouldn't have a lot of what we have if those dead people hadn't of made sacrifices. They lost their lives fighting for their country, thats admirable whether they wanted to be there or not. So, do you still say f@*% 'em you ingrate?
  17. ANZAC Day makes me feel proud to be an Australian. I too say to myself I'll attend the local dawn service every year, gone twice. I haven't got any living or for that matter any family member that's been around while I have, that served in the armed forces but I have the utmost respect for those who sacrificed so much for the way of life we take for granted. And I agree it would be a shame not to remember and recognise that sacrifice.
  18. I must admit that that bloke has little to do with anzc day and more to do with winning a Darwin award. I mean cleaning a loaded pistol :roll: It's a tradegy. All death is. Though the guy run down on a bike at no fault gets much much less glory then G.I joe amateur who shoots his own self in the head. C'mon. Also the news programs saying as the headline " 1st Aussie Killed in Iraq" or "aussie killed" that's why SBS news is great "Soldier shoots himself" No BS!
  19. There are many who it means nothing to. That's fine. There are more and more who it does mean something to. And when it means something, there are many ways to show it. Even if you don't get down to a dawn service, showing respect such as Dan has is just fine. If you are so inclined, attend a dawn service. It's all good.

If you are a service person such as myself, one of the one's who hasn't been assigned a duty on this Anzac Day, then you also can choose to mark the occasion as you see fit. I serve with many current members who are wearing active service medals who take it as a public holiday and that is all. I also have some gongs, but I always go to the dawn service in civilian clothes. I go incognito because it ain't about me. I get to wear my ribbons and uniform every other day of the year so Anzac day is for recognising others with lots of gongs/time up or who aren't around anymore.

Others I know go to the dawn service in uniform. Again, it is all good. The only current serving guys I know who march are those who are old timers and served in Sinai or Vietnam and the like, or who are marching with a relatives medals pinned to their right breast.

Another aspect is that I am a total atheist. I won't say any of the prayers and I won't bow my head for prayer. But when they say "We will remember them. Lest we forget" I'll be one of the ones saying it with a tremor in my voice.