Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ANZAC Day 2007

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Apr 25, 2007.

1. We salute this great Australian Day, and all those whose service it represents.

To those who served, and came home, in many cases broken and forever changed, we say thanks.

To those who did not return, we can only repeat the words of O.L. Binyon's poem;

They went with songs to the battle, they were young
    Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old. As we that are left grow old
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.
  2. Here, here.

Looks like great minds think alike, and at the same time. :grin:
  3. And lets not forget the 3500 Australian servicemen and women currently deployed in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Israel, Lebanon, East Timor and the Solomon Islands. Many of them were in harm's way this morning, while we sat comfortably in our homes.

Im glad we will never forget
  5. Also lets not forget those that didn't serve on the battle fronts but gave thier all, so those that were on the front lines got the equipment they needed.

I just got back from a very different anzac day service up here in our local town, where after 1940 not one person from this area was allowed to leave there job to enlist !
    I personaly spoke to two locals that where among the few that enlisted before the hold was put on, "Stewart" served along the Katoda trail before being transfered to the middle east, and "Dave" who didn't want to talk all that much was a survivor of the Buma death march and labour camps, and you could see in his eyes the hardships he must have faced :(

Everyone else from this area after 1940 was told that they would not be accepted into the ADF as they where needed here to log the local forrests.

The redwood was used for rifle buts/stocks, and the local tallowwood was shipped as fast as it was cut over to england for bomb shelters etc, and after the Darwin bombing local Dorigo wood was used to rebuild the warf !

I was told the loggers up here worked from dawn till dusk from 1940-45 and two train loads a week left here for transport out of Brisbane.
    I always knew about the efforts made by those that didn't serve directly on the front lines, but to meet and talk to them as I did today has opened my eyes just alittle more.
    They dont get the open reconition that the 'fighting' men and women get. But by no means was there input any less important to the war effort. :)
  6. Lest we forget , this day and rememberance day are the 2 days that really mean something to me
  7. That's a fascinating historical perspective on the day, Bob, and one which I bet was replicated in other places where there were key industries too.

My dad signed up in '39, but because of a wonky wrist from a farm accident when he was young, didn't get to serve because they said he 'spoiled the look of a parade'!!!! So he served out the entire war looking after returned soldiers at the Base Hospital at St Ives.....

A vital and worthy contribution too, I feel.

We enjoy the freedoms and wonderful lives we have today because of the courage of so many men and women prepared to give the ultimate sacrifice.
    To every digger past and present, I offer my eternal grattitude for protecting what is so precious to you, and the rest of us....The Australian way of life.
    May the fallen rest in peace, and may each and every digger never be forgotten.
  9. The girls and I went and paid our respects tonight...laid some flowers down. We have ancestors (my grandad WWII and Great grandad and his bro's - one of whom died - WWI) who fought with the Maori Pioneer Battallion - good men.

RIP Alexander Ormond. Killed in action 1916..France.
  10. Too true.

My Great-Grandfather was a machine gunner in the first World War. Was at Gallipoli and later the Somme where he was gassed. His eyes and lungs never recovered and he died in his garden in the 20's as a young father.

I had four great uncles serve in World War Two. Clive, Gar, Jack and John. All Infantry. Gar drank himself to death at Tobruk when guarding an officer's mess hall full of liquor. Jack was shot in Crete. John disappeared somewhere in the Islands and Clive... story time kids!

Before the war was a criminal. Constantly in trouble. His mother refused to speak to him as he was always getting in fights, robbing people and suchlike. A real bastard. WW2 breaks out and apparantly he's a hell of a Soldier. Made a Sergeant on six seperate occasions. Usually for theivery, but on occasion for cruelty to Japanese prisioners.

He served in Crete where this pic was taken of him...

It was used on large Arnotts biscuit tins during the later half of the war. His mother, who was elated and for the first time proud of Clive, asked for a tin. Nope, they said, you'll have to buy one. With no husband and all her sons serving, it took a donation to get one to her.

Anyway. The arm is from a German grenade. The beard from not having time to shave for weeks as they fought a withdrawel across the Islands, and the M1928 Thompson, for the gun nuts, is what got him killed.

He was leading section during an attack on a Japanese position. He was running for a few minutes when he'd lost track of the men behind him. He came over an incline and a group of Japs were huddled around an anti-aircraft position.

He went to raise his Thompson, squeesed the trigger and 'Blat'. Fired one round and stopped. He had it on semi-automatic. He was shot seven times up the left hand side of his chest.

He was found a day later and shipped back to Australia but died two years after the war.

My Grandfather served as a wireless air gunner in RAAF Catalinas and Crash boats off Milne bay. My other Great-Grandfather, who was a professional soldier before the second world war, ended up as a cook and served at Tobruk, the Islands, before being discharged for Alcoholism.

Sorry. Rant off.

Helps to humanize these things sometimes.