Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anywhere to learn maintenance and use tools?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by ambs, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Hi All,

I'm in melbourne and would love to start learning to work on my bike starting with the basics (tightening chain, brake fluid, oil change etc). However I don't have any tools or a garage (live in an apartment with a huge shared parking area, cant really work in there).

Are there any shared workshops with people who know the ins and outs of basic motorcycle maintenance? Or friendly melbourne netriders willing to show me the ropes?

Cheers :)
  2. I have similar living/parking arrangements (apartment complex, no place to tinker with the bike) and the same (essentially non-existent) level of mechanical skills so I second the question.
  3. Hey Guys,

I live in a huge apartment complex too where its just a massive carpark and everyone has an assigned car space. I usually drive my car out on the street and work on my bike in my carparking space.

I purchased a set of sockets from Supercheap auto for about $11.00. Here is the link FYI - Best Buy Socket Set - 1/4"/3/8" Drive, 40 Piece - Supercheap Auto Australia

I've noticed that well at least on my bike (Honda CBR250R) this is my MAIN tool that I use and it has a large variety of sockets which fits basically every screw also alan keys, screw drivers and flat head screw driver. I only just got my bike about 1 month ago. 3 weeks ago (and after a few hours of youtube videos) I built the courage to flush out my old oil and placed new fresh oil. I also purchased the oil filter and replaced that. 2 weeks later I purchase a new air filter and replaced that. My next job in the next two weeks will be my brake fluid (flush out) and change my brake pads.

Prior to this I had ZERO mechanical skills and I still dont but figure i'd save myself some money and do things myself. SO far so good and havent stuff anything up. I also washed my bike then cleaned my chain and lubed it.

Just get in there and have a go. As I did the oil and oil filter change I had my phone next to me with the youtube video i was using as a guide on and i'd keep pausing and watching as I went. Just give it a go!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Joining a motorcycle club and building a network of like minded friends is the best bet, haven't heard of any shared workshops.
    Space (while nice) isn't really an issue..I've done plenty of the oil changes, brake pad changes in the carpark of supercheap with only the most basic of tools.

You best bet at learning is asking questions, buying a $100 set of tools and watching youtube videos and just giving it a crack.
    I and most other riders wouldn't have a problem if you swung past with a bottle of oil + filter and asked for some guidance. Once you learn the first time you'll never forget.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks both of you, Sounds like a relatively small investment and some balls is all i need!
  6. HOME for the Melbourne kids in the metro area.
    Garage and tool's ect, they also have a few training sessions on various stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah i saw kustomkommune but i'm too broke for classes right now, looks like great stuff for the future though cheers!
  8. That kustomkommune looks very interesting.

If your bike is a 125e as pictured then you will learn the ins and outs of it very fast, they are a great bike ,very simple and dirt cheap machines to keep running.
    My gf even learnt how to service hers, she has this printed out and laminated this....hasn't done a valve clearance but most things else.
    Servicing Your Honda CB125E
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Awesome, was just wondering myself where I could learn more about maintenance and the works since I'm green.

Interested in checking Kustom Kommune out, looks like they are having a 20% off courses until the 12th that might be worth looking into.
  10. first step, get/download/buy the service manual for your bike... read it cover to cover.. ask questions about things you don't understand.. ask why certain things are done certain ways

no point swinging a spanner until you know what nut you're undoing and why :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2