Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

anything wrong with a honda spada?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by cosmo_sydney, Jul 7, 2007.

1. its my second weekend looking at bikes and im heading out later to check out a 98 honda spada with 58000 ks.

does anyone know anything about these bikes? are they reliable? would i have issues reselling? etc.

for my meager bugdet, this is the nicest naked 250 i can afford.

appreciate your input everyone.

2. I've been riding my Spada for 12 months. There's not a lot bad to say about them. Honda engines are pretty bulletproof so they go forever. Mine starts first time, every time, regardless of hot, cold, etc. It's been a very reliable bike. It's a light, relatively powerful 250 (32 hp when new) and it's a lot of fun to ride. It handles great and brakes well, though be wary ay high speeds (130+) as the suspension can be a bit worn out and make the bike a bit unstable (as I found out the hard way!). This is probably not unusual for older, light 250s though.

I can definitely say you won't be disappointed if you buy a Spada for your first bike. I'm 6'1" and though I'm probably a touch to tall for it, I can ride it all day with very little discomfort.

Chris

P.S. Spadas were only built for a year in 1988-89. Anyone claiming to have a '98 Spada to sell you is talking about it's compliance date (i.e. when it was imported into Australia). All Spadas are about 19 years old now.

3. no there is not alot to say bad about em. new they actually put out about 36ps, but we are talking bees dicks here. 58000kms is a realistic figure, so i would say the clock hasnt been tampered with. my mechanic rekons he regurely sees em with 120k kms on the clock, there no reason this example wont get there IF it has been looked after.
    check condition of oil (remember he could have just changed it)
    check for corrosion around forks, triple clamps, engine mountings exhaust,
    a fair indication of whether the owner has looked after it. check suspension as well, all in the sticky threads of this section.
    then again, im very anal about service intervals on my VTR250, but i delibratley never clean it because the more shit it looks the less of a theft target it is.

cheers
    dom

btw i thought that they stopped manufacturing spadas in 2000?

4. What's wrong with a Spada? Well for a start it's a Honda, other than that though it's fine.
    Seriously though the only real downside is that they are quite a small bike, and as pointed out all are getting old - although if it's been looked after it should still be good for a lot more years and a lot more kms (have heard of Spadas clocking over 100,000kms without any major engine work).

5. The predecessor to the VTR250, a good reliable bike, small frame though, and as already stated very likely to be an import.

On a bike this old with this many km, especially if imported (as often they come in bits then are assembled in Oz) check disc thickness, could be warped or undersize, and can be costly to replace relative to the value of the bike.

6. the Spada has a smaller tank 11? litres versus the VTR250

tacho included
    6 speed box
    better frame than the VTR

they were sold new in aus , there is also imorts around

check disks as mentioned, but we do not have the disk nazis in NSW like other states do

solid reliable bikes, apart from needing cam chain tensioners about every 40K , as mentioned they will easily go round the clock with maintenance

resale no dramas

for the kays you are talking about $2-$2.5K depending on rego,comsumables etc

7. Owned my Spada since Sept last year. My Spada is great and everyone who see my bike likes it. I got my out of the container and Carringbah Motrcycles fitted all the bits required to make it compliant with Aust standards.

Spadas are great bikes to ride. Plently of torque, especially at the low end. some parts are the same as the current VTR250 but a lot of them we can not get any more.

Good luck with your Spada hunting.

8. sorry all. typo with the bikes age - it is 89 and not 98.

well then for my budget this may be the bike for me. no fairings, goes ok and looks good for a old boy. everyones input has been positive too so fingers crossed this bikes been looked after. that said, if faramir's right and some parts are no longer available for the spada, this could be something serious to consider. i mean whats the point in having a bike you can't get parts for?

i wonder what the insurance companies think of this bike. if its an import, would they have them on their list?

stay tuned.

9. Used parts are plentiful since there are/were so many around. New parts can be had, but because of their age dealers are running out of stock, same as any bike of that vintage (they can't stock new parts forever).

Insurance will be no problems, since some spadas were officially sold here anyway, they're listed.

Spadas are a great choice for a first bike. Since the model was such a good thing to begin with, overall condition and how it's been treated will dictate whether it's a good buy.

10. ...a recent Spada thread should answer most questions:

https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38405

You've seen my other bike, but I still commute on the Spada and will take her for another run through the Nasho soon, one of those places where a little bike is a -lot- of fun. Come along to coffee again (see that you've almost got your licence! Congrats :grin:) and I'll being her so you can take a spin if you feel like it :)

PS: </pimp> :LOL:

11. What other bike??
    hmmm....

12. perfect thread yak. cheers! this has pretty much sealed the deal in terms of my first bike choice. on the down side the spada i was going to look at today was sold before i got there. i hope it went to a good owner.
    pm me if you bring the spada down tomorrow and i'll be there to take a closer look.

13.  Top
  14. OK, mate, do yourself a favour and talk to Sydney's Spada King, Steve Wyers at Caringbah Motorcycles, www.caringbahmotorcycles.com.au

Steve is a direct importer of these little jewels, fettles them up to just beautiful condition and offers a large range of custom accessories as well.

15. No problem Cosmo, look out for a PM if there's no rain around. Hornet's right, the guys at Caringbah are -the- Spada gurus. Mine was imported through there around 2 years ago, and has since been through a hard life with a few learners and associated drops :LOL: Still just 'goes'. I had the cam chains and tensioners done by them about 6 weeks (?) back and they did a great job...adding spacers to the front end really tightened it up too. Anyway :blah: just take it for a spin and see if you like it, then you can start shopping seriously :grin:

TWEET, it's only been three weeks and I'm still telling myself I have to get used to the new baby; though I'd like to think that it took all of one day, I know it'll be a long time before I can push it like the Spada...no peg scraping yet :rofl: Confidence inspiring and humbling at the same time, but won't thread hi-jack :oops: RVF review still to come :LOL: ...soooooo, Putty is definitely on the cards, soon in fact, I'll let you know when I'm confident with it and we'll have to go for a run :grin:

16. I's a very clean looking machine, and can't wait to see it. Yes Putty is calling your name! We can do a slower run just to help you get the feel for it in the twisties, and those long sweepers mmmmmmmmmmm

17. Great idea, you'll learn more on one or two runs on the Putty than on 100 commutes. I learned to ride on the Putty 30-odd years ago, and I don't know too many other roads that have such a huge mix of opportunities for learning.

18. Hehe, have put around 1500 on her already on the Old Road, the Nasho, Wiseman's and wherever it was Micky took us :rofl: ...and I couldn't agree more; on the Spada I became a more confident rider in the twisty stuff, after you push a bike through a few hundred corners it really starts to feel right. Last ride on the Spada through the Nasho with Duffa, I was at least half as fast! :grin: :LOL: Now I can throw the Spada around like it's a pushie, though I'm sure it has more to give. I still <3 Lara (the Spada).

The thing with the RVF is that it just doesn't feel like it's even trying, if that makes any sense; currently she owns me, not the other way around. I need to get that into balance a bit, and get my head and nerves used to the extra speed of progression.

Last time on the Putty, I loved the tight stuff, but there just wasn't any power left for the sweepers, especially the inclines....that shouldn't be the case now :grin:

19. Lets GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we can tweak your suspension, and you can get a feel for different settings, and I'm sure you will feel so much more at ease with the RVF on those sweeping sections.

I know exactly what you mean about effortless power.....I have a beast of an engine in the bird, it actually makes you lazy, cause it's one of few bikes that you can cruise on in 6th @ 60km/h then just twist, and away she goes, no chugging, just instant speed......I could almost ride the whole putty in 6th gear.