Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone used "tyrecheckers"?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by arc, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Pressure indicator that replaces the valve cap:

Choice link here - 10% underinflated makes then change from green to yellow...

Has anyone used these or had experiences with them, they seem rather neat?

2. What's suddenly wrong with the pressure gauge I've used for years???

Gives me a chance for a close up look at the tyres too.

Next you'll be wanting a light on the dash to remind you
    to put oil in her.

3. I heard some very negative feedback about them failing, so definitely do your homework.
  4. How long do you think it will take until they are stolen
  5. 10%... Too much. Just check them hey.
  6. I have them. Still check the pressure regularly because of the possible 10% error. When I spoke to them I was told the 10% is a legal thing. Most are more precise than that but they need a bit of leeway. You need to ring them to get two with different pressure. Find them reassuring.
  7. 10%.. nah im sorry.
    at least the colours are pretty.
  8. For those to work, they have to be exposed to the air pressure in the tyre at all times.

Which means that they must open the tyre valve, and hold the tyre pressure in by themselves.

Which means that your tyre is now kept inflated by what is essentially a tyre valve cap, made of multiple plastic pieces, with a flat seal against the end of the valve, which is not guaranteed to be a good sealing surface. A tyre valve uses a one way valve and a tapered rubber seal against a proper sealing surface, which works way better than than a flat seal screwed down by a thread. In a tyre valve, a higher pressure actually improves the seal, but when a cap is the seal, higher pressure works to reduce the seal.

What if a stone hits the plastic end while driving?

If you screwed one of these things down enough to open the tyre valve, but not enough to seal properly, rather than providing a great way to monitor tyre pressure, you will be introducing a slow leak from your tyre.

I looked at these in the past, and decided I would never use them for the above reason. Just maintain your bike regularly, and use an accurate tyre gauge. Not to mention that 10% on a 40psi tyre leaves your tyre runnning at 36psi, which is quite a difference.
  9. yeah just not accurate enough. and agreed that the valves we use now work as does the guage you have under your seat
  10. one of the features of netrider is that people who have never seen let alone used a product are happy to condemn them. :butt:
  11. and while i agree 100% with this statement.
    'personally' I wouldnt use these as it complicates something that already works.
    im also not up for the error factor. as you will know a slightly low front tyre on an er6 isnt that best thing on the road
  12. Seen 'em. Or at least a variation on them, since similar ideas have been marketed regularly, pretty much since Mr Dunlop invented the self deflating tyre :grin: .

Didn't like them for all the reasons RGI listed.

How hard is it really to apply the pressure gauge occasionally?
  13. Had them and threw them out....not very accurate...more like 20% error...
  14. So the follow up question - can anyone recommend a decent quality, reasonably priced tyre guage?

15. Use your eyes, costs nothing..

/end joke :roll:
  16. got mine from autobarn. made by hafner

like this one but the end is offset to get it on motorbike tyres. has a button on the stem.

digital ones are crap
  17. Not to mention, when you use the oh-so-much harder method of a manual tyre gauge, it means youre doing a close inspection of the wheel and brakes on a regular basis. Surely a good thing.