Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone tries STOPFLASH?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Rossco, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Saw an advert for this in this month's TWO WHEELS - just had a look at the website. Anyone tried it?

2. you can't stop flash.

Seriously though - who can we get to test the product for us? Who has all 12 points?
  3. Back in the UK, spraying hairspray on your plate was all the rage to try and stop "the flash". is this just v.expensive hairspray?
  4. On the photoblocker website there is a video section where you can see the results from using it. There are even Australian News reports on it and they all come back with positive results that it works!!
  5. two words

6. watch the videos RC, pretty impressive.
  7. Doesn't matter, let's stop talking about it, because the more exposure it gets, the closer we will be getting to the suits banning it, as Dan suggested. If it works, fine, but don't publicise it; (Oh, and don't ride through red lights, either, that's even cheaper!)
  8. The only mention it being effective against flash cameras. They don't stipulate visible light or infrared, which would operate on different spectrums.

Most fixed cameras in NSW now use infrared flashes rather than visible light to both avoid impacting driver vision and to not give away if they were triggered.

Much better to fit a flip-up plate with a solenoid and trigger. Hit trigger and the solenoid retracts, pulling the plate up. Release trigger and plate returns to normal position. Takes about $10 in parts and about 30 mins to set up.
  9. Ride over the Sydney Harbour Bridge at night in the bus lane. That's a flash triggered camera.

If you get the toll in the mail, you know it didn't work. And that's only $3.
  10. Not trying to be a kill joy, but one of the guys I ride with got pulled over for a licence check, and somehow, the copper noticed that his number plate had a similar product on it. Cannot remember if it was the spray on stuff, or the numberplate surround. Anyways, to cut a long story short, He got hit with something rediculous like a couple of thousand worth of fines and had to go to court. In the end, the Judge took pity and fined him for the lesser fine, which was about 200 and not the bigger two. I cannot remember the two fines that he told me they hit him with, was something along the lines of use of a device to obscure your numberplate and possesion of a device to etc etc.
  11. NSW law prohibits and provides penalties for obsuring number plates, either by carrying a bike rack, for example (you can buy a yellow and black small replica of your main plate for the rack from the RTA), or by other means.
    The clear intention of the plate being visible at all times is to allow for identification. My bet would be that if this matter came to a court, it would be prosecuted on this basis, and I wouldn't give it buckley's chance of succeding.
  12. Rogue_aus wrote
    I've seen one of these set up's on a blade , and was very impressed .
  13. Would you have a copy of the parts list and/or instructions or diagrams on how to do this?? If so can you PM the URL or e-mail it to me. I've always been curious as to how this is done.

14. Try emailing one of the companies that produce these products and tell them that you are using it for your business and require a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Most of these usually give some idea as to the composition of the product and I believe they have a legal obligation to provide them. Some of these products claim to be "patent-pending" but a quick check of the US Patent Office website (usually a good way of finding how things work) shows that they haven't actually filed an application, and that their trademark expired a while back.
  15. Me too, please. It's purely scientific curiosity, you understand...
  16. This stuff was sold in the uk and it dont work. All the police have to do is reverse the polarity of the picture and the plate becomes clear as day.
  17. For those with a purely scientific curiosity :wink: there are products on the market using liquid crystal technology to allow a thin film to change from completely opaque to transparent with the application of an electrical current.