Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone scared of heights ?

Discussion in 'Non-Bikes' started by Valkrider, Apr 13, 2015.

1. In 2011 I took my first trip abroad at the age of 47, we went to France on the motorbike and there was certain things I wanted to see.
    One of them was the Millau Viaduct, this is the highest road bridge in the world. If you rebuilt the Eiffel Tower next to it and stood on the top, you would still be looking up at the bridge.

I'm poop scared of heights but the sight of this bridge was amazing, we rode underneath it and made our way back up to the top where they have a visitors centre. After some lunch it was time to ride the bridge, I joined the motorway, paid my toll fee and off I went.
    Well as I went around a long sweeping curve and saw the bridge rising up into the clouds I nearly lost control of my bowels. My legs turned to lead and I nearly lost my lunch.

At the last minute I did some heavy braking and turned onto the off ramp for the visitors centre and sat for about an hour.
    Unfortunately I just couldn't muster up the bravery to ride the bridge and it was the one regret of my first trip to France, but at least I got some half decent photos.

The camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5, just a point and shoot pocket camera.

From the visitors centre

From down below

From a distance you can get the scale of the bridge, this was taken from the opposite side of the town of Millau

• Like Like x 1
  2. I was looking for a comparison and found that the Sydney Harbour Bridge is 134m high, the Millau Viaduct is 343m high.
  3. That bridge would be a mad jump
  4. Hahaha, I was wondering how long it would take for you to be lured to this thread title like a bee to honey bird man.:D
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I'd imagine it would be quite windy on that bridge too.. Might get the feeling of being blown off...
  6. It's illegal to jump off the bridge but it's been done quite a lot, some of 'em don't even have parachutes RIP

7. I think that bridge is disgusting. Excess for the sake of it.
  8. Aren't all pieces of art that?

As art it is functional art, that route to Spain as it used to be crawling down into the valley and back up the other side was a congested one. Particularly during high season.