Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone ridden an oil burner?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by LineNoise, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Just curious, anyone here had the opportunity to throw a leg over a diesel bike?

Hayes are finally taking orders for the civilian version of the M1030, a diesel Kawasaki that also runs on jet fuel in a pinch and it perked my curiosity.

Then I learnt about this monster. http://www.bikeexif.com/track-t-800cdi-diesel-motorcycle

Basically looks to be a KTM 990 Adventure converted with a 800cc triple turbodiesel throwing out 45hp and 100Nm hooked up to a CVT and shaft drive.

As someone who's got a rather long distance trip planned these things are kind of interesting.
  2. I haven't, but I'd like to.

Trouble is, Australia dosn't see many niche market vehicles because of the costs of getting a low volume machine complianced. Bikes are easier than cars though, so maybe there's some hope.

On the jet fuel issue, don't forget that it's only kerosene, and most diesels will run very happily on kero.
  3. Reading the specs I can't see why you'd want one unless petrol wasn't available

670cc but the power of a 250cc and torque of a 500cc

Only benefit is the range, it's slow as a glacier with 0-100km/h in 10 seconds, an XR650 for example would eat it for breakfast, but I couldn't see an xr doing 600km from one tank... Then again who would want to at the speed this thing would take you across the country side.... And then the price, wow!

From a military point of view sure it'd be better, but I still know what I'd rather be riding if my life depended on it and I needed a speedy get away
  4. I think if I was being shot at I'd rather be on top of a tank of diesel than a tank of petrol...

The US Marines introduced the diesel version of the KLR650 back in 2005. It's based on a single fuel policy for all US military ground vehicles. Logistically and militarily it makes an awful lot of sense.

There's a few reviews around the traps and a specific Diesel Bike web site at http://www.dieselbike.net/
  5. It's the range that interests me. 650kms off 14 litres. You'd be looking at around 1000 if you can get a tank a bit over 20 litres for it.

Certainly not quick nor cheap though I agree.

Now the turbo Adventure... :twisted:
  6. What about the AT-1 670 that they have on offer? It's listed as having a 20 litre tank which offers a, stated, range of 1024 km @ 90 kph (640 miles @ 55 mph), doesn't look terrible and can do Melbourne to Sydney on a single tank, or with only one stop at the very least. Additionally there's no need to worry about a momentary slip in throttle judgement attracting the attention of the authorities and their penalty schemes (y) :LOL:
  7. That 800cc thing looks the goods. I'm a big fan of it. Wouldn't mind some footage of it though to hear what it sounds like.
  8. What, you never made " chugga chugga, I think I can, I think I can" noises when you were a kid ???:bolt:

9. The 800 is force fed so there's a lot less of the chugga chugga, 0-100 in 3.75s, only a fraction slower than the petrol 990 Adventure.
  10. Google Neander Diesel motorcycle..

Now lets look at the Ford Fiesta 1.6 lt Diesel ... it has to push a car that weighs 1100 kgs...
    it produces 66 kw of power and has a staggering 200nm of Torque... thats as much Torque as the Triumph Rocket 111...

and its fuel economy?

3.7lts per 100km ....

The Rocket 111’s have a 24lt fuel tank and with economy like that you could pull over 600 kilometres between fuel stops... and, you’d have the power to rip your arms right out of their sockets..

but what do we get as the latest and greatest piece of equipment?

that piece of crap called the VFR1200
  11. Yeah, but car diesel engines tend to weigh more than two lead anvils glued together. You can get away with the huge weight in a car, especially a non-sporty car that's expected to handle like a two pint jelly in a one pint jug (not that the Fiesta is bad, but it's not a Lotus Elise). With bikes, people notice the extra weight.

At the moment, I see the diesel bike situation as being akin to where diesel cars were 30-35 years ago. Limited availability, very expensive (outside their native countries), overweight and slow due to the basically utility engines they were using, with nothing but good economy to recommend them. Bear in mind that, in the space of less than ten years, pretty much every manufacturer was offering, in the Euro market, a diesel option for every model, many of which were, from the driving seat, indistinguishable from their petrol equivalent, apart from a slight rattle and a stonking midrange.

If the demand is there, we'll see this progress in bikes too (hmmm, diesel Gixxer.....:D). The technical challenges are a bit bigger but I have every confidence that the manufacturers can meet them.
  12. Don't forget the little Fiesta is turbo. There's forcefed Rockets making more than 150kW/350Nm, mind you I'd imagine the economy goes to hell in a handbasket. ...Not that you'd care.

Turboing a bike has some issues. You need to keep a little turbine cool and build it robustly enough to handle the heat cycling. AND you've got to find somewhere to put the thing that doesn't compromise the riding position, cooling, lean angles etc.

It does surprise me a little though that in the age of emissions controls and EFI basically being the norm on new bikes that the factory turbos haven't made a return.
  13. And? The BMW S1000RR makes that (almost) at the rear wheel. Not a patch on the torwue figure, but it does weigh in at almost half what the III does.

- boingk
  14. Although, didn't mythbuster's debunk the myth of shooting a petrol tank and making it explode? I know they did it with an LPG tank and ended up firing tracer rounds through it and the bastard still didn't explode.

I haven't ridden one, but I plan on building one as a project/commuter bike. I also like the idea of have a split-tank set-up where you have diesel and veg oil. Once the engine heats up, switch to veg oil and when almost at destination, switch back to diesel to clean engine out. Otherwise a bastard to start again.

+1 to Dieselbike. I dont say much on there, but I lurk a lot.
  15. Not that I've ever seen, or heard of. Sure, thats what marketing says, but a real world test through a 200km commuter loop in Sydney shows that its something like 5L/100km. Its all very well to quote the sticker on the dashboard, or factory publication, but its realworld stuff I care about. So should you.

Are you freakin' kidding me? Do some research. Legions of bikes will ACTUALLY get 4~5L/100km, Hell, the Ducati GT1000 will get 4~5L/100km. The better stuff like the BMW's (F800, GS650) will get 3 or 4L/100km in actual usage. Harley Sportsters are also quite good, down to the 3~4 per100 mark easily. If you're whinging about that sort of fuel economy, then clearly you'd shit yourelf when you see the expense for a set of tyres and a new chain & sprockets. Seriously guys, just get out there and ride.

I ride a GSX-1100EF and will return an average usage of 7L/100km on the freeway. Admittedly thats at 130km/h, with trips up to and beyond the ton, but I couldn't really give a stuff. At the end of the day I can ride from Canberra to Sydney for less than $25 (assuming $1.40/L all the way), and get there friggin quick as well.

Come on... how tight d'you guys wanna get?

- boingk
  16. I gather that the Diesel Enfield is pretty economical. Pity it's also awful to ride and slower than a Postie (allegedly) :D.