Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone race bikes here?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Admiral Thrawn, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Are there any NR members who compete in championships?

What are the major catagories in Australia for road racing?
  2. Rrrrrracing

I race a road race sidecar since 1990. Just having a rest from it currently doing other projects ( spending money elsewhere ) building a garage at home, re-building a couple of bikes & trying hard to ride my Triumph Sprint RS more than I have been. I raced National meetings in Post Classic & Modern sidecars with abit of success & am planning to get back to some club racing as not to empty the pockets so much. We're going to the Isle Of Man this year mainly to see the sidecars there & any other sidecar racing in UK while we're there. Duncan
  3. Thanks Duncan.

Noone else?? :?

I've been thinking about getting into motorcycle racing and was wondering what the different classes are in Australia, and what are some good starter catagories.

I had 125cc GP in mind. I'm 71kg, 5'9.
  4. These should give you most of the info you need-

5. Thanks! :grin:
  6. Any bike racing forums which have some activity?

The GPRiders forum seems pretty dead and the other site has no forum.
  7. What will you be riding? :)
  8. There are quite a few racers on here, but the season is starting fairly soon so I guess there all preping their bikes.

Starter classes could be 125's, 400's , twin Sprints, buckets, maybe 600's. It really depends what your budget is.
  9. Yamaha have just started up a new program where they will give you an FZ6 for a season with tyres etc (can't remember what else) for $7,500. The bike is 'on loan' from them.

It's their way of helping the average person get into racing that doesn't have any sponsorship lined up (ie. they will make money out of it :roll:)

I didn't read all of the promo but will get hold of it and post it up. Alternatively, contact your local Yamaha dealer.
  10. Sounds interesting.

So any recommended motocycle racing forums? Hardly anyone posts on GPRiders.org and it's very difficult to read (who thought white on a light grey background was a good idea?! ](*,) ).
  11. A SV650S (already got the bike, just ditching the road gear). :grin:
  12. Way cool. :grin:
  13. If anyone wants any info on how to start racing, just ask on here or email me at ian (dot) wiltshire (at) tw-performance (dot) com (dot) au
    Always HTH.
  14. Admiral - where do you live? That will inform what classes are available to you as different states have different emphasis on various classes (at club level).

In a nutshell, as a beginner you can race in a wide variety of classes. 125 and 250 GP are the traditional classes to learn road racing, but in many states they have almost died out competely. 400cc class is very popular and a great way to learn racing. The bikes are grey imports though and mostly 10-15 years old - so would help if you know one end of a spanner from another... but given your size, at least you'll fit well on one. I'm a bit big for a 400cc at 6'5", so I'm racing in the 650 Twin class here in NSW (variously known as Formula Two, Formula 3, Twin Sprints, depending on your state). Basically production bike racing, minimal mods allowed, roughly the same power as a well tuned 400, so fast but still very suitable for entry-level racing. The class is in its infancy, but growing fast, and i expect it will replace the 400cc class in a few years.

Next up is the Supersport / Superstock - basically I4 600s - a bit too fast & furious for me, but as always, you race against people in your grade, so you can certainly give it a go if you are confident - you can even go straight into Superbikes if thats your go. The FZ6 Cup referred to above is NOT suitable for entry level racing - it is the entry level to the Australian Superbike Championship, so you'll want to have some club racing under your belt before contemplating that.

There are also buckets (tiny cheap 150cc bikes), and the historic classes - the NEw Era 2 class is getting very popular (bikes from 1990-1995) as it makes for very cheap racing.

All up, I'd recommend the 650 Twins class because they are based on modern bikes, are big enough for full sized adults to ride, are fast without being crazy-fast, and because there is nothing sexier than a v-twin at full song onthe track :) But then I'm biased. If you are interested in 650 Twin racing, feel free to PM me and I'll happily tell you all about it. For the other classes - by far the best thing to do is to call your local racing club, and get down to a race weekend to see it for yourself and talk to the racers.

Good luck :)
  15. :p :wink:

I'll be interested in going on to a national level championship a bit down the road, so something which would prepare me for the transition is what I'm after (i.e. the strongest competition, best environment to develop skills).
  16. All the classes suggested are good for developing the skills required for racing at a serious and competitive level.

In every class (except perhaps buckets) there are seriously quick people who can give you ample competition. I would suggest 600's and then Superbikes, but these all require commitment and cash. You can shortcut that and go straight to Superbikes if your budget allows.
  17. How about 125GP?
  18. Admiral,

have a chat with the people of the Cafe Racer MC, they hold regular meetings and have a category called "bracket racing" - this is basically a run what you brought type of category, for people wanting to get into racing and is open to all capacity bikes, just as long as they comply with the General Competition Rules as mandated by MA (this basically means an enclosed belly pan if your bike is fully faired, a rear chain/toe guard as well as the usual lock-wiring of plugs and drains, etc).