Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone in exporting?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Bjpitt, Aug 6, 2015.

1. A friend of mine is looking to send a bicycle from Melbourne to Barcelona. It's purely for sentimental reasons. We can't find anything at a reasonable price. Shipping by boat charges by cubic metre, the cheapest is around $600, and Australia post wants $700 in fees alone!!!

I guess the only hope we have is if someone has space in their shipping container?

2. You could try someone like 'pack and send'. Or a global removal mob.

3.  Top
  4. #4 Bjpitt, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Cheers, excess baggage isn't an option as she is going through asia for a month on the way home, and her flight is from Brisbane as we are going on a road trip before she leaves. Pack and send quotes $270, I think their is extra expenses when it arrives in Spain though.

But that unaccompanied excess baggage, does that mean it goes on a plane even if you don't have a flight ticket? I'll see what they quote if so! - Edit, $460 for sea shipping.

Anything over $250 and it's a no go.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. This should have been posted in the Jokes and Humour forum.

6. Why???

7. Because you/she thinks $250 is an unreasonable price to send a bike halfway around the world. If the bike is worth less than $250 to her, that sentimental attachment can't be particularly strong.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. buy a bike bag and lug the thing around. sure it will put the sentimental attachment to the test, but it will get the job done.

finding spare container space to go anywhere- let alone where you want to go would be a tough task.

• Like Like x 1
  9. They must have a Tarjet or whatever the Spanish equivalent is - just get a new sentimental one there, maybe one with tassels on the handlebars and a shiney new bell.

10. Guy got two complete motorcycles into china using bags.
    18978327890_d2c2973dbe_z.

Chances are good that barcelona has that bicycle share program anyway.