Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone in Burwood NSW could help me push start a Kawasaki GP

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by bNiNja, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Last night when I tried to start my GPX250 I pushed the starter button like usual, however, I only got a clicking noise coming from under the seat instead of the nice purring sound of the engine.

I took the seat off and mucked around with the screws holding the cables on to the battery. They were already tight when I looked at it but I undid it and screwed them back in with no success.

I kept trying to start the engine to the point where I think the battery is flat :( (I am a nub) because the bike won't even make the clicking noise any more. I still get the "neutral" light so there is some power.

I came home without the bike and looked up this: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/When_I_try_to_start_my_bike_I_hear_a_chattering_noise.

Looks like I have a flat battery and would appreciate anyone's help who is willing to travel to Victoria St, Burwood. NSW. It is right next to the Westfield in Burwood.

Or can anybody give me any suggestions as to how to start the bike and get the battery going? I am fairly certain that the battery is still in good condition.
  2. Buy a battery charger :eek:
  3. Where would I get one from? How much would it cost and how would I use it?
  4. You can get battery chargers from most auto stores (SuperCheap etc). They look like this:

and cost anywhere from $30 to $300 depending on what you want, and you just connect it to the battery and the other end to a power outlet.

The other option is to buy a jump starter (about $50-$100) from an auto store, and use that to jump start the bike, or get a set of jumper leads (about $10-$50) and hook it up to the bike and another bike/car and jump start it that way.

You can push start your bike yourself, here are the steps:
    Turn the ignition to the 'ON' position (where it would normally be when you go to start your bike with the starter button)
    Make sure the kill switch is 'OFF' (set to 'RUN')
    Make sure the fuel is 'ON'
    Put the bike in 2nd gear
    Stand on the left hand side of the bike, with your left hand on the clutch lever (with the lever pulled in, so that the clutch is disengaged)
    Start running for about 5-10 metres (with the bike obviously)
    Jump on the bike while it is moving and release the clutch lever
    The bike should start
    Then away you go!

This would work easier if you've got someone pushing you from behind, then you sit on the bike and do the above steps rather than trying to jump on whilst its rolling. Get the person to push you for the 5-10 metres, then have them yell 'GO!'. That's your signal to release the clutch and take off (if you just release the clutch without them ready, they may end up flat on their face).

Hope that helps!

5. Or wheel it to a hill/slope, then just hop on and let gravity move you.

You don't need to be going super fast. 5-7km/hour should do it.

You should learn how to do this anyway, because even if you charge the battery: you'll only know it's not keeping charge [if you need a new one] until it's dead again, and you may be stranded somewhere unless you can clutch start your bike.
  6. +1 u realy need to know how to clutch start ur bike.
  7. Sorry to state the obvious... but also make sure your bike is in neutral (also try holding clutch in) that the kill switch hasn't been flicked, and that the side stand isn't down.

I've forgotten one of those before and spent a while wondering why it wont start.
  8. Im in burwood, live just next to westfield. You still need help? Ring 0410 341 654, I'll be in this evening. Never push started before tho, so we can figure it out together ^_^.
  9. i have a gpx 250 and had to clutch start it as recently as yesterday morning. i dont even use a hill, just stick it in neutral, (it rolles easier that way) push it up to a nice speed, jam it into first (i find it easier to first on flat) and drop the clutch, ready to rev it and or pute on choke.

makeing sure of course the key is on run before you start.

i went a couple of months with a flat battery..... daily clutchies
  10. I'm in burwood and live right next to victoria st as well. I'm still waiting to do my Pre Ls in 2 weeks time, but I'm sure I can help you push it.
  11. Well, I can't send you a pm since I don't have 15 posts yet :(