Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone here use a car tyre on the back of their bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Loz, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Apparently they call it darksiding, there's guys who stick car tyres in the back of their bikes and get huge mileage and talk about how it still handles fine.

Of course there's also guys who pat on trucks, so hey.

If anyone in Melbourne does this or knows somebody who does, what's my chances of coming round and taking it for a spin? I wanna do a write up and a video on it for Gizmag. Buy you a beer! :D
  2. Would think that the design of a car tyre wouldn't work too well for cornering on account of the shape of the edge of a bike tyre being completely different, and the grip not going around the edges either. Maybe ok for cruising around? Disclaimer - not an expert view by any means, just initial thought! ;-)
  3. I've seen it done on some big cruisers, Loz, but don't know anyone you could contact..
    • Like Like x 1
  4. #4 Loz, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    Yeah it's usually cruisers or big-arse tourers - Goldwings etc. These guys swear by it - they claim minimal difference when cornering.

I don't even know where to start looking for these types. Thought somebody here might have a lead!
  5. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I met a couple of riders at the Pie in the Sky Cafe at Cowan (Sydney) who had done that. Both told me they regretted it as the bike definatley handled much worse. Rear brake would lock very easily also. They also told me that it invalidates your insurance as the construction of the tyre is not appropriate for bikes.
    I guess your best bet to find someone that has done it is to go to some or the cafe's and hang out sports for big cruisers and big arse tourers.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Strange, I know a few of the Dark siders up at Pie, mostly Triumph Rocket III riders, and the swear by the car tyre business.

I did follow one of them up the hill from the river to Pie, and they were percolating along quite spiritedly.

Viewed from the back it was hilarious seeing how little of the flat tread was actually touching the road, but <shrug> it does seem to work quite well.

They have told me that there is a bit more effort required to turn the bike in initially, but "you get used to it" and they claim that braking is much improved with the back brake becoming far more effective.

They all seem to agree that there is a serious financial benefit, with car tyres being cheaper and also lasting longer.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. One of the riders I spoke to was a Triumph Rocket III rider, and he's the one that told me he regretted putting the car tyre on the back. Stuffed up the handling and braking. But I guess everyone's experience is different. I don't have to worry about things like that, I ride a sports bike and definately won't consider a car tyre for my bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. It sounds a bit like autoerotic asphyxiation. On first hearing about it, it sounds like one of the dumbest things you can possibly do. Then after a few minutes of thought about it a very small part of you wants to try it out of complete curiosity.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Indeed. I won't be wanking myself to death (at least, not THAT way) but I wanna know for myself about this tyre thing.
  11. I've done this for years on my sidecar, and on my Can Am Spyder. The sidecar gets good mileage compared to a standard tyre, or even a sidecar profile tyre. On the Spyder it was somewhat less than the standard tyre gave, and came with additional hassles to fit the tyre (because a 15" car tyre is significantly smaller at the bead than a 15" bike tyre)

On a solo bike you are relying on the sidewall flex to let you lean, and with the weight of the bike being much less than that of a car, the tyre shouldn't get too hot, but it would feel funny.

12. Nah, I've got not desire to try it out. I can imagine what it would feel like. I once fitted Commercail tyres to a holden ute. I was getting about 40 thousand ks out of a set of tyre. Someone suggested I put commercials on it and I'd get over 110 thousand k's. The tyres were dreadful, squeeled like a biatch around corners, even going slow. The ABS couldn't cope with the lack of grip. The car was dangerous to drive and I threw the tyres away after two months.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Does that mean that tyres for a Can am are Can am specific? I thought they were a car tyre like somehting that goes on one of those "Smarts", looks like the same three stud wheel pattern on the front.
  14. wow....i am keen to see some pics if anyone on here does do it...
  15. This is what it looks like:

16. Man, that just looks sooooo wrong. You'd think that would be a biatch to turn.
  17. Lots of USA based long Distance riders use car 'tires'. Typically FJRs run a 205 tyre, often a run-flat and for the Iron Butt Rally bikes with car 'tires' must run tyre pressure monitors (TPM).

Here's a pic of an FJR with a well worn bike tyre, then another with a car tyre.

Insurance is not necessarily invalid. QBE knocked me back. Their answer was no 'because one of the guys here rides and he thinks it's a bad idea'.

Shannons said that so long as the tyre met ADRs and was listed as within 10% of the OEM correct size and met the Australian Tyre and Rim standard, then they would insure me.
  18. If you do remember this

19. That's mighty noble of you to offer Jeffco. I suppose I should buy you dinner and a movie first so it isn't akward.