Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone have any tips on throttle control..

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by NinjaGirl..., Oct 13, 2008.

1. Hi, I'm a New Learner.... Does anyone have any tips before i do the learners course on Throttle control??? Having problems with this part. Cant seem to control it. (I either open it up too much or not enough) Transistion is not smooth, more un-natural jerky type movements.. Any tips on controlling and acheiving a good balance would be much appreciated... :) :) :)

2. In a word, practice!

Also relax don't grip it like it's your life bouy & you're drowning! Caress it!

Rollin it on is easier than rolling it off! One will take your licence the other will keep it!
  3. do you mean jsut in general, when your on a bike your either not going anywhere, or you open the throttle too quickly?

reeeelax your body, your hands, your arms. dont grip so tightly. the throttle will have a small amount of slack. this is a a small amount of rotaation from closed throttle, where nothing will happen, then you reach a friction point, from there onwards, opening the throttle will have an effect.

basically you just need to control your hand better, smaller more gentle reeelaxed movement on the throttle. it's like a car, with the accelerator pedal, you dont just plant your foot to the floor. find the friction point, and gently apply the require pressure from there on.

with in no time of practicing, just stay relaxed, and you will be alot smoother :)
  4. And here lies the problem with these young whipper snappers.
    Traction control, power steering and ABS takes all the brain power out of driving and riding :LOL:
    I may be showing my age but my first car didnt even have power brakes and it wasnt that long ago!
    Anyway I suggest with the bike running in netural practice how far gently you need to be to make the engine noise increase. You wont have to ring it like a 14 yr old boy :)
    Its the same under load but you'll just need to twist it a little more to get the same amount of noise but in any case practice before trying to control other aspects of the machine.
  5. I'm certainly not a throttle control master, but I am getting better than I was. What the others are saying about being relaxed is correct. If your arms are loose (so that you can flap your elbows) and your grip is light but firm you will find it much easier to be gentle with the throttle. It also makes steering easier.

Of course, it isn't actually as easy as it sounds. If you are a bit anxious you are probably holding on to the handlebars to feel secure on the bike. The trick is to hold on with your legs instead. That keeps you far more securely in place than using your arms, and it means that your arms can concentrate on controlling the bike rather than holding on for dear life.
  6. Hello NG,

When I was doing the learner at HART, the first practise ride was riding in 1st gear. It was jerky as and I didnt enjoy it. but after practising for a while we were allowed to change gears and it was not jerky anymore. slow cruise around carpark, 2nd gear is ok perfect for 20kph putts

I hope that is the jerkiness you are talking about
  7. That's actually a very good point. I agree to all the others have said, but the jerkiness is MUCH more pronounced in 1st gear. On a LAMS bike 2nd is much better and 3rd and fourth etc won't be very snappy at all.

Having said that, mastering the smooth throttle control in first now will give you great skills for your riding.
  8. If you keep your wrist down/low then it isn't as easy to give it a lot of throttle and it helps with throttle control.
  9. try on a scooter first.

will allow you to learn this much quicker.
  10. Twist it as far as it will go ... then try and twist it some more.
  11. HG, Is your bike a NEW bike or a second handi.

I frequently apply cable lube to my throttle cables and clutch cables so that they operate smoothly.

Throttle control is one of the most important controls that you MUST master many potential racers have chucked in the sport because they could not master the right wrist.

If your bike is not new it may be wise to let a mechanic have a look at your throttle and
    1) Make sure that the cables are properly adjusted.

2) That the cables are lubed and smoooooth

3) Get in and out of first gear asap (as previously suggested)

4) Remember the three P's (practice, practice, practice)
  12. When I did my course they told me a little trick to help with throttle control. Basically, for small adjustments, concentrate on moving your thumb forward, instead of rolling the whole hand. The act of moving the thumb forward a few cms (while trying to keep the hand still) will actually rotate the hand slightly and therefore increase throttle a bit.

I found this helped me out.
  13. Can you take your hands (or at least all your weight) off the bars without falling forward? If not, you need to try gripping the tank with your knees, and supporting your upper body with your stomach and back muscles.

With no weight on your wrists, it gets way easier to manage the throttle :wink:
  14. Ive also noticed its best to start with wrist up and knuckles pointing down, or else its quite difficult to twsit down to full throttle w/out snapping of your wrist.
  15. I know what you mean, but the riding schools recommend knuckles up.

Otherwise if you tense up or lean backwards the revs will build. Also you will not roll completely off the throttle when braking. Your nuetral position will be high revs, not low revs. If you know what I mean!
  16. Sometimes when I think that I can't give enough throttle control for the conditions (slippery surface etc), I use the rear brake a touch, this can dampen out the snap of too much throttle.

On some bikes I have owned, with a lot of drive-train free-play, I may enter a corner with a little throttle on and some rear brake, when I want to accellerate out of the corner I would just let the rear brake off. A rear brake will always control the power of an engine.

This may be too complex for a learner? Maybe practise it in a large, empty car park and see if it suits you. Maybe it might be too much to concetrate on; the throttle AND rear brake?

I also find that running a high idle rpm (say 2,000) offers a smoother transition from no throttle to some throttle; much easier than trying to keep the engine at part throttle with the twist grip; less stalling on take-offs also.

Let us know if you guys try it and what you think of it.

17. John's advice on using the rear brake while cornering is a little off the mark for a new Learner.

However his point of using the rear brake to help smooth the transition from off and on the throttle is important, and very useful.
    Once you mater it, you will never, not use it, again.

In lower speed manouvering, the rear brake IS a very good tool to help you control the bike...and can be especially useful to help you avoid the throttle snatch that all bikes will have you experience to varying degrees.
    Learn to drag the brake anytime you are creeping along...carparks, u-turns, slow corners etc.
    Don't think of the rear brake as a "brake" in these circumstances...it is used to apply some "drag" on which the engine and drive train can work against, thus smoothing out the controls.

That does'nt mean that you can avoid learning to use the throttle properly - that is still very important....the rear brake is a good assitant for you, in general lower speed bike control.

Of course...using the rear brake for open speeds is also a good technique - as has been discussed many times here on NR. Those interested should do a search on the subject of using the rear brake while cornering out on the open road etc.

To the OP...practice your throttle control along the lines that everyone has pointed out - a deft touch and relaxed arms etc...and see if you are able to incorporate dragging the rear brake as an assistant for lower speed riding (not as a brake but as a point of 'drag')

18. Sorry John I disagree with just about all you advised.

Firstly you CANNOT compensate for poor throttle control with use (even judicious) use of the rear brake.

Sorry mate but that is very poor advice. Firstly a lot of drive train freeplay is NOT acceptable on any bike, secondly entering any corner with rear brake usage is deadly, the rear brake should only be applied in a corner (by very experienced riders) to tighten up a corner that has been entered into too hot and needs to be tightened up, and NEVER forget that "Highsides" are caused by poor use of rear brake usage or poor throttle control.

Once again John I suspect you are giving poor advice. Control of the throttle should be practiced in conjunction with the FRONT brake (Please for New riders consider the rear brake as a PARKING brake and your FRONT brake as your lifeline.)

That is the most dangerous advice you have given. All riders need to be able to control the impetus of the bike from the recommended idle speed (Certainly NOT 2000 rpm)

Practice to be competent with your throttle use from LOW rpms and with minimal brake usage and if any FRONT BRAKES PLEASE.

I am sorry John I do not mean to rubbish you but you have it the wrong way around and if you would like me to demonstrate what I say to you please PM me.
  19. Ha sure :LOL:

Goes to show any toss-bag can post on Netrider ;-) maybe it is me?
  20. Dude, I saw your last results. Perhaps it is time for some coaching. :p

In all seriousness though, I've tried playing with the rear brake in the manner you describe and find that it distracts me more than it helps me (though I am pretty clumsy with my braking foot). I'm fitting a Clake given that I can't get to the brake half the time anyway, and will revisit the idea given the snatchiness of the FI on my new bike. Incidentally, I've got the idle turned up for the moment to compensate. :LOL:

Rear brake in parking lot stuff is near essential.