Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Anyone have a chain rivet tool I can borrow?

Discussion in 'Wanted' at netrider.net.au started by QuarterWit, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ah but not that chain rivet tool! I've got one.

One that can do a hard nose Tsubaki type chain. A whale-style one. It's probably the last time I'll use this type of chain and I can't imagine me using the $150+ tool again.

IMG-20140223-WA0000_zps2f84c448.

Promise I'll give it back.

Promise.

2. I have one, tried it on that exact chain and the pins deformed the tool and not the other way around It was meant to work on that style link. Maybe I'm an idiot or maybe my my master link didn't actually have softer metal, but the replacement chain I put on was way, way easier. (It wasn't an el-cheapo tool either.)

Next chain I buy will be one of those hollow riveting types you only have to squash a little

Would consider loaning it otherwise.

good luck!

3. Maybe buy a link with the clip u just clip together ?

4. Thanks Peppy!

I'm going to contact a few shops to see if they want to lend me a tool (unlikely) as I figure they should have something hanging about. Failing that, I'll have a shot at it with a ball peen hammer and see how that works.

Worst case scenario is just buying another conventional chain.

Bloody annoying!

5. I might still have the old master link around from that chain - I'll have a look. If I find it I can post it, which will give you a test case to see how well (or poorly) your hammer method works out. Be careful if you look for a different master link - I got one, same brand but not for that particular model - it was too short! different branded link really didn't work.

6. You should be able to get a clip style master link to suit that chain, most brands have the option.

7. QuarterWit, I've done it with a ballpeen hammer and it works no probs, just a tip, when you put the side plate on twitch some wire around the link to stop the plate from moving out when you belt the pins with the hammer, and........I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious here,....but hold another hammer or lump of steel behind the link to avoid damaging the chain or sprocket.

8. I normally just use vice grips and a metal bar of some kind, the chain tools are over rated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.