Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone had their floorboards polished?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pringa8, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Hey guys, we're thinking of ripping up the hot lino and carpet in the living room to have the floorboards underneath polished. Maybe the entrance and hallway also.

Anyone had this done before and if so, how much did it cost you? We reallly have no idea how much it will be!
  2. damb you! I was expecting photos.
  3. I did it in the house we had in Gippsland. When we looked under the carpet we found we had a really high quality hardwood floor. I hired a sander and did it myself - took a lot of work and lots of polish but it had a good result. I'm not a handyman by any stretch of the imagination but it was worth doing and saved me a lot of money..
  4. I have had it done - standard ex-govvie canberra house though with the pine floor boards - just hired the sander from Kennards then slapped on three coats of the varnish stuff bought from a paint shop in Belconnen - looks awesome! We opted for clear to keep it light, though you can have any colour stain you want. Would have been better to have four coats and maybe a light sanding in between but we were on major time restraints and it was June so didn't dry really quickly.

I can't remember the exact costing - I think we might have spent about $300 total, that was doing lounge/dining/hallway and one bedroom about two years ago.
  5. I've been accused before in this forum of having a one-track (dirty) mind, but damn that subject line sounds like a euphemism to me!
  6. "I've come to polish ze boards..." ? :LOL:

So bit of elbow grease is all that's required you reckon? The building inspector mentioned that our floorboards were in really good condition. I dont mind a bit of hard work, thought that it might be a fairly involved process. Just follow they DIY intructions and she'll be right aye?
  7. Yeah it's not really all that complicated... the DIY instructions should be sufficient!
  8. Not hard. Takes a while. Much cheaper than new carpet
  9. We'd never have carpets again. Just rugs where we need warm feet or a bit of padding.

Ten years ago the missus and I ripped up the horrible '70s nylon carpets in a unit we'd bought, patched up the parquet underneath and rented the sanders from (I think) Coates. Two sanders necessary; the big, walk behind one for the main areas and the smaller disc jobbie for the edges.

The noise was appalling, with the vibrations shaking the whole building (I waited till everyone likely to complain was at work :grin: . The dust was pretty bad too so mask and goggles are pretty much mandatory.

The result was worth it though, after three coats of goo.

All told, the sanding itself took a couple of hours (including learning how, then working slowly and methodically), getting rid of the dust took half a day (don't want it settling on the wet coating) and then coating took half a day, including waiting for each coat to dry. That was for a 40 sq.m area.

A professional outfit may have achieved a better finish, but as we were regularly complimented on our floors, I wouldn't be disappointed to achieve the same again.

The current house had polished boards when we moved in, apart from the kitchen and bathroom which have got vinyl. With four indoor cats and a dog that constantly sheds fluff and grit, carpets would be a waste of money and effort :grin: .
  10. How did you get rid of the dust?

Our place, built in 1946 has what looks like pine floor boards. It's out intention of doing the hallway and possibly two of the bedrooms. The back part of the house is an extension, built in the early 90s. It has that chipboard flooring so it can't be polished. We're looking at vinyl that looks like polished floorboards. You can get normal vinyl covering or tiles that are laid in place.

Cost of hire from a local Coates Hire is around $170/day for the sanders, sanding media is extra.

Will be only too happy to see this project done. During the warmer weather the carpet gets this smell vaguely of vomit. God only knows how old it is. What I'm dreading though is when we lift the carpet up if it's had lino (not vinyl) and has been glued down. One bedroom is like that and has this black shit on the floor which we can't get out. So it'll be carpeted.
  11. Thanks for the details there Pat, sounds like it was worth the effort!

Kennards does the sanders for $88/day
  12. You will get the best result if you give it four coats and sand very lightly between each coat. The most difficult part is getting right into the walls and corners - you might even have to hand sand any tricky little angles..
  13. Dust removal was a case of repeatedly letting things settle and then vacuuming, interspersed with wiping down the walls and ceilings with tack rags. This was a small unit with nothing in it, so it wasn't too onerous, just time consuming.

As far as I can remember, we had to hand sand the right angle corners, but it didn't take much.

I honestly can't remember what the rental cost but the lesson here seems to be to shop around.

Glue would be a b*gger to deal with as the sander would just melt it an spread it around. The only way would seem to be hand scraping which would take days. Fortunately our carpets had been fastened down with a zillion office staples, so preparation for sanding involved crawling around with a strong light and a pair of pliers pulling them out and then gluing any loose pieces of wood back down.
  14. Did it to our place here ourselves.
    As others have said sandier from kennards
    one large one for the large areas and a smaller orbital one for the edges.
    Be careful with the vacuuming as the fine dust can burn out the vacuum cleaner as we found out.
    Best to hire an industrial vacuum cleaner.
    Before you do anything though use a nail punch and punch in all the nails then putty them over and wait for the putty to dry.
    Water based putty for indoors is all you need.
    If any nail is protruding then kiss the sheet of sandpaper goodbye.
    Also be prepared for bruised thumbs as you will always inevitably miss the punch and hit a thumb or finger so lots of swearing.
    We used a 2 pack floor polish which hardens up and used with a lambswool applicator.
    Beautiful floorboards here.
  15. Just remember, when its done you need somewhere to live for a few days as the smell after its done is unbearable. Enough to make you ill ..

Have you considered floating floors over the top. Thats what i have done at my house... :grin:
  16. Having done this myself to more than one house, my advice is:
    -Yes, its definately worth it.
    -Before you start, make sure its 'boards' under your ALL your carpet, not sheet flooring.
    -Rent a proper floor sander for the main parts.
    -buy a belt sander for the edges (cheaper than renting in the long run).
    -your choice of 2-pack polyurethane or water based sealant, stained as you like:
    _____- water based smells alot less.
    _____- water based is much easer to apply.
    _____- poly is longer wearing and tougher.
    -there is no such thing as dust removal/prevention, its a fact of life for this process and it goes everywhere you don't want it to go no matter how hard you try.
    -you'll perhaps add up to 10% to the value of your house by doing it (add a bit of parquetry to to hallway for more value).
    -its a bugger of a job, but no other way to do it.
    -You can do it yourself.

I've never used a contractor to do this so I can't give you pricing in that regard. But Bunnings are a good source (cheap) for whichever finish product you want.

Show us photos of the finished job![/code]
  17. How did that happen?

We've got a Dyson which uses a cyclonic separation method. Does a top job for normal vacuum cleaning. I'm hoping that it'll be up to the task for when we do our floors.

And I'm dreading the removing of all the staples that they use to tack the underlay down. Because I KNOW that I'll miss heaps of them and tear up the sandpaper...
  18. Send a few small children in to play, barefoot, and you will find all staples. A more humane method is to use a magnet.