Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone ever imported a new bike ??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Changa, Jul 28, 2010.

1. G'day guys,

just curious - has anyone here ever imported a bike from overseas.....preferably a new one ?
    I'm curious as to what the process is and whether there are the same requirements as for cars ie ADR regs and how those are achieved. I'm led to believe that bikes sold out here are the same as the ones they sell in the country of origin - for example, the States.

I've imported a car in the past but never a bike.

And in case anyone thinks I didn't do a search on past threads.....I did. Didn't find anything.

Peter

2. Try again. There is enough discussion on this subject in the archives to sink a ship.

Basically, though, if you're a private individual not intending to do it as a business and who hasn't owned the bike overseas for a year, forget it for anything newer than 1989.

3.  Top
  4. Did you find a dodgey site selling new gixxers for $5000 ?

5. No, nothing like that. Just considered it as I did it with a car once. Wondered if it'd be worth it or not.

6. Thanks for the links fella's....maybe I didn't use the search option correctly. Mind you, I typed in "import new bike" and "importing" and nothing came back.

Peter

7. It's not worth it...

unless you have a secret way to bring things into the country indetected, and even then: you'd be far better off just importing cocaine.

8. perhaps you could find an importer doing it already. I looked into it but its the same process as cars, therefore the car must be eligible to import, which can be difficult!

my suggestion would be to import a few kg's of coccaine and use the proceeds to buy a new bike in an australian showroom

9. I was looking into ways of importing a bike from the states while i was living there

BMW S1000RR are 12k rideaway there
    GSXRS are like 16k
    and 1198s are 18k....

that is a saving of 12k on the bmw alone!

10. I love the advice on NR. Can't afford a new bike? Sell cocaine until you can.
    :rofl: