Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone ever heard of a Honda RVF ???

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by doonx, May 12, 2005.

1. I saw a Honda on my way to work this morning, a small bike size wise, with large letters on the fairings "RVF". I've never heard of it, anyone got any idea what it might be ?

2. It's an early 90s sports bike. Came in a 750 and a 400 (maybe a 500 as well) from memory. The RVF750 was a VERY expensive step up from the CBR600 and bombed appropriately I think.

Produced a little less then 100HP in stock form and about 150 HP in HRC trim
  3. they called the early 400s vfr's and the later rvf's
  4. It's what the Yanks get. They jumble the letters around.

The VTR there is knows as an RVT
    The VFR there is known as an RVF

it's a yankee thing :)
  5. Most likely what you saw was an unofficially imported RVF400R, also designated NC35.
    The '90s World Superbike Ch'ship homologation bikes were the legendary RC30, and the RC45, also both known as RVF750. These were sold here in very limited quantities, and most have "RVF" decals.
  6. the RVF are a pretty sweet looking bike, and they ARE learner legal in NSW!! (found that out AFTER i bought my 250!! dammit! :evil: )..... however because of that fact they are pretty expensive.... $8-10k.
    Gotta luv the single swingarm! 8)

The earlier ones are called VFR400's and they arent LL cos they exceed the power/weight ratio here! :(
  7. Ahhh...that explains why the RVF750 sold for ~$30k US
  8. Hmmm I thought the RVF400 and RVF750 were the bikes with the oval pistons and 6 valves per cilinder... I'm not %100 on this...
  9. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Bonbed....I like that, its good.

The RVF750, or RC45 as its also known was the only 4 cylinder superbike able to beat the ducati twins during the 750cc 4 cylinder rule(Scott Russel won the title in '93 on a Kwaka but it was a bit of a fluke, ducati were still running the 888). It won once with Jonh Kosinski in 97. It was the only bike to push the Ducati's for most of the 916 lifespan(until the SP was produced of course).

Its been touted as the best road bike ever produced. It destroyed everything built at the time and is still known as a sublime handler. It was never meant as a step up from a CBR600. It was produced solely to compete in the WSBK. I think homologation rules at the time meant 250 bikes had to be built. More than this were built eventually.

The RC45 will bring most riders who realise what they are looking at to their knees. After an NSR500V it would be the second bike I would buy should I win tattslotto tomorrow.
  10. That was the NR500, built to compete against the 500cc 2 stroke gp bikes. It failed miserably, however many believe that this taught them much about racing 4 stroke bikes and hence helped them to build the best bike ever (RC211V).
  11. Wrong. The early VFR750 was known as the RC30. It then evolved into the RVF750 or RC45 with the VFR becoming the monkier for the sports tourer that we still have today
  12. I think the VFR's are legal now. I know they werent but I think this has been changed just recently (I may be wrong on this however).

My best mate had a RVF400. Good little bike, more exciting then a 250.
  13. That was the ill conceived race version.
    However, the NR750 is another kettle of fish entirelly, and arguarbly still one of the best looking bikes that has ever come out of Japan. :D
  14. And it was nothing but a big bore NR500. Honda attempted to adapt what they had made for the track to the street in the same vein should they ever build a V5 gp replica. The NR740 was almost $100,000 new and that was 15 or so years ago. It was a "good" looking bike (remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, only the uglybusa is a genuinely ugly bike :p ), however rebuilds supposedly ran to the 10's of thousands due mainly to the oval pistons.
  15. I would be very surprised if any of them had ever been ridden far enough to require a rebuild, excepting those used as race bikes.
    By the way I think our very own Wally Campbell was the first person in the world to race an NR750, right here in Australia.