Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

anyone else nervous atm?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by chrissybenn, Apr 11, 2010.

1. hey guys, ive been off the bike for 2 weeks now because its in for a service, and needed a few things done to it.

now in this time ive seen god know how many rider down stories in the paper and on the net.. at least 10 in 2 weeks i think.

im going to be getting back on the bike regardless, as its my only form of transport. but ive been having second thoughts about getting back on the bike now.

ive had my red p's for 6 months now and have done nearly 20000ks so am a pretty confident rider but these few tragic accidents have really opened my eyes a bit i spose..

are these thoughts normal?
  2. couple of rides and you'll be sweet :) I've had that every now and then, I'm sure we all have.

Think positive :)
  3. i was a red p plater last year, greens now, but i crashed about a month ago now.

theres a risk in everything you do. decide if you enjoy bikes that much, i know i do, and when i can financially, will be back on one.

get your bike back and jump on it, and stay safe :)
  4. I remember seeing a few bad videos on youtube that scared me just after getting my L's.

But just remember 95% of bike accidents are single vehicle, so it is usually the riders fault*

and the other 5% is the rider not paying attention, so riders fault again*

*not actual stats, just be as safe as possible, watch out for everyone and don't ride beyond your abilities.
  5. Yes, they are normal. You can't ride effectively if you are owned by your fears, but you can arm yourself with an appropriate defensive frame of mind if you recognise and accept what can go wrong.

I ride past two suburban fatal accident sites most times I go out on the bike, and both make me wonder how well I'm riding and how sharp are my reactions and observations about everything around me. The wake-up call is just that, as the consequences of a mistake on a bike are often much more severe than in a car.

Rider training and being mentored by someone whose skills you admire (which is not the same as someone who has ridden for a long time) always help. Technique is not acquired once and thence always perfectly applied; you get rusty or out of tune, just like your bike can.

Motorcycles are profoundly good fun and worth the risk, and I say this in my 43rd year on two wheels. Stick with it, and keep the risks in mind as a caution, not a barrier to enjoyment.
  6. don't go to bed

more people die in bed than anywhere else!

seriously, chill, get back on the bike and enjoy it
  7. If you go by the statistics, going swimming alone without supervision is more dangerous than riding a motorbike. Riding a horse is about twenty times more dangerous. More people have accidents that put them in hospital due to accidents around the house, than doing anything else. More people commit suicide every year, than people who die on bikes.

In short, you can convince yourself that motorcycling is really dangerous and scare yourself out of doing it, or you can accept that it's just one of many activities which can hospitalise or kill you that you already do, but just which aren't televised as they're not currently part of the government's agenda.
  8. I have a wife who fears for me! Me I am confident in my ability to avoid 90% of things, but I still stain my daks every now and then.
  9. is that on the bike though?
  10. so u going the give your car up to, u going to stop walking also, u will vever fly again, u will never swim again, u will never use public transport again, need i go on? dont be a hero on the bike and u just might be ok
  11. always knew the stats, and the likelihood of injury etc.. as my friends and family are always the ones to tell me i'm going to kill myself one day..

but yeah, i didn't know most crashes were single vehicle, but it kinda makes sense i spose, people pushing themselves too hard etc..

can anyone recommend a good riding school for improving on road skills?
  12. will defiantly take that on board.. always knew it was dangerous, but have done it because i love doing it. everyday i didnt have work id find a reason to go for a ride, its just been these last 2 weeks which has been that bad. probably a good thing that when i get back on the bike(wednesday hopefully) ill be as alert as ever
  13. Well Chris,

Nothing good comes without a price....and bike riding isn't just good, its awesome ;)

A real biker will always jump back on a bike whatever happens or hears. I had many accidents and thankfully none of them were bad except thrashing my bike.

At least I learnt many things from these experiences....

1. Never take any unnecessary risks!

2. Whenever you are driving, always assess yourself if you are doing the right thing....like...will I brake in time...if someone comes out of that side-road now will I be able to avoid it..etc

3. Never ever speed in blind corners!!!!!!

4. Always look for patches of oil, diesel or rocks on the road....

5. Always have your bike top notch...brakes, chain, tyres etc should be always in great condition

6. Watch out all the time what other drivers are doing. Many of my accidents were always overtaking just before they did a u-turn or drivers coming out of side road...don't trust them! Whenever I can, I try to make sure they see me in the mirror or bip the horn (hate the latter though!)

7. Once I overtook a car at 200km/hr and didnt look who was coming behind me assuming I was going very fast...wrong!..a hayabusa was coming faster than me i was was going to kill us both...so..always use your mirrors!

Anyways, I think I said enough crap..jump on that bike mate, ride it with passion and know your limits....by time you'll have the right confidence...but make sure you keep it under control ;)

14. If you're reading all the negative stuff in the news, then you would've noticed all the murders, plane crashes, police shootings, stabbings, glassings, dog attacks, suicides, rapes, car crashes, cancer victims, electrocutions and booze related injuries too, right?

Stop reading that crap and go outside in the sunshine. ;)
  15. You can walk across the road and get hit by a bus. Nerves (on one level) are a good thing, its a self preservation instinct, if you went out riding and were fearless, that really would be dangerous.
  16. You're right, there have been a number of bikers come to grief recently, and it gets a lot of media attention when it happens because prejudice sells. But like everything in life, it is a question of understanding and managing the risk. (And as the parent of a brand new baby I can guarantee you that even the best things in life have risks!! ;-)

As I see it, there's only really 4 risks you need to manage when riding:
    1. Risk of riding beyond your ability
    2. Risk of not riding to the conditions
    3. Risk posed by other road users
    4. Risk posed by making contact with the road and sliding along it

All 4 of those risks can be mitigated either in part or in full by you, through things like rider training, mental attitude (don't be a hero, ride your own ride etc), mental alertness and paranoia of every other vehicle on the road (including your mates who you're riding with), and ATGATT.

It's good to know that there are risks to riding. The better you understand the risks, the better prepared you are to manage them. Let it make you a more conscientious rider though, not a more fearful one.
  17. My 60 year old G/F First time ever as pillion, In four days and 1000 klms on the back of my Blackbird gained 20 years experience of riding bikes,

Thursday night, we came out of restuarant, the Thursday night mystery ride had pulled up in front waiting for the Tec, They came along and a girl had dropped her bike in the hills, She had a sore knee,

Riding on Friday, The bike in front of me ran wide on a corner, (too hot) almost had a head on with a car, he went into the gravel on the right hand side, I went into the gravel on the left hand side to give them all the road possible to avoid me being involved if they had of hit,

Saturday, Two cruisers dropped just in front of us, Neither injured and a few scratches on their bikes,

I hit gravel in the twisties a couple of times and ran wide, changed my line and continued on,

She watched as three knee draggers in front of us hung off their bikes wobbling through the corners, wernt going fast enough for the corner, so wobbled all over the place, I told her they needed to learn to ride first, before hanging off their bikes. We were sitting bolt upright through the same corners.

A couple of times she sat up in a corner, which moved us across the road, She now knows not to, and the reasons why,

The only thing that scared the crap out of her was when I lane split, she had not done that before, But now she's alright with it.

Her hands in the pockets of my leather jacket, she said she had gone to sleep a couple of times, She cant fall off as I know where she is, and if she moved side ways I could hold her there, and wake her up.

Her family are telling her she's mad for buying a bike, Temporary Aussie and the rest of the associated crap that goes with it, NON bike riders of course,

She now knows how safe they actually are and if you do drop your bike and slide down the road, You dont get killed and or hospitalised or become a permanent cripple like the newspapers try to tell people.

She now knows the difference between riders that can ride and ones that cant and have an Ego trip to try to prove themselves, Accidents waiting to happen,

She now knows why we say to every one that rides with us, to ride at your own pace, The faster riders will wait for you up the road some where, Very rarely do we have a rider down because of This attitude we have, and we do ride fast,

The only broken bones I have ever had from my countless drops over my 47 years of riding were 3 in my foot from a car doing a right turn in front of me, my foot was stuck on the foot peg as I ripped the side out of the car with my foot peg.

She will be Buying a 250 Hyosung cruiser in May and getting her learners, ASAP.
    She is addicted to bikes. and now knows how safe they can be, or dangerous in the wrong hands,

She asked a mate I have been on many runs with, should she be on the back of my bike, His reply was, Brians a safe rider, but fast, That made her Happy,
  18. This is actually the main reason why I got off the back of hubbys bike and onto my own. He rides very fast, and I just didnt feel safe. Much better riding my own. Deadman, wow, she must feel confident riding pillion with you, I couldnt imagine falling asleep riding on the back (but I have heard of someone else who does that) No matter how much she loves riding pillion, theres nothing like riding your own, I think shes going to LOVE that.
  19. I came off my bike about 3 weeks ago and have had surgery on my arm which will see me not riding for quite some time now. I crashed and i know how and why it happened. I am not dwelling on it and i can't wait to get back on the bike and resume riding. Roads are dangerous and the vehicles that we drive/ride on them are too. I have come close to getting cleaned up just walking on a zebra crossing near my place. I know i am taking more of a risk on the roads by riding but it's my choice and i ride with the same mentality that i apply when driving - everyone else is a ******** so therefore i am always in defensive mode. It's kept me alive all of these years and i as i have just recently found out, some things in life are just out of your control.
  20. Couple of weeks ago an acquaintance of mine - same age, similar kind of life, but not a rider - died of a heart attack without warning. I don't know whether he died unfulfilled with life or not, but I'll bet he thought he had plenty of time left to do what he wanted.
    All early deaths are tragic, but the most tragic of all are those who haven't even lived their lives for fear.
    If you really want to ride, just get out there and lift your concentration, decision-making and awareness to a higher level.