Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone else get this after washing their bike?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Spud Gun, Jun 6, 2005.

1. I washed my bike on Saturday. I used a citrus based degreaser to remove oil and grease that had built up on the engine, and gave it a good rinse afterwards. I was riding to work today (first use after washing), and I asume that its just residue being burned away, but my bike could have happily doubled as a dry ice machine. One thing is for sure, you are guarenteed all the room you want when your bike is belowing white smoke from the engine!

2. white smoke = water in engine/exhaust?
  3. Theres an easy fix,

Don't wash ya bike, thats why we have rain :)
  4. Some chemicals that leave a residue will produce nasty white smoke when heated, I heard that putting castor oil on someone's exhaust pipe will cause it to create thick white smoke as it heats up.
  5. Everytime I wash the bike I got to wait a couple of hours afterwards before it will start again. She hates the water.

No problems with the rain, just a bath makes her tempermental (and that's my excuse for only washing her every 6 months).
  6. Try giving it a once over with a high pressure hose after you wash it.
  7. Sydney has water restrictions at the moment, you can't use a hose to wash a vehicle. $250 fine if one of your neighbours dobs you in.
  8. wear your wet weather gear and go throught the carwash :D
  9. HOLY CRAPOLY... I am going to do that..... nice
  10. good prep for wet weather conditions!!
  11. just make sure you take the sheepskin cover off...first :LOL:
  12. I assume you mean that the smoke was coming directly off your engine as opposed to out of your exhaust pipes. I tend to plug my exhausts with a rag to stop water getting in. As well as avoiding spraying that area.
    I have had a little but mine was probably steam, as the water dried and it didn't last for long.
  13. if you wash it with anything that hax a wax in it..Ie wash & wax...then the wax will burn off nextt ime the engine gets hot...may make some smoke.
  14. The smoke came off the engine itself, not from the exhaust. I did wash it with wash n' wax stuff. Its very hard to buy stuff without the wax. I don't have access to a hose, so I had to throw buckets of water at the engine. Thats never as effective as a hose. I am sure its burning stuff off, I just wish it would stop. It wasn't as bad when I got to work, I just hope its done for the return journey.