Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone done a "First Aid for Motorcyclists" course?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by Cris, Oct 23, 2015.

1. ie. First Aid For Motorcyclists

Was thinking of doing theirs, as they're inexpensive (cost is an issue for me) and I don't need certification, I'd just like to have some idea of what to do if I'm at an accident scene.

Any recommendations?
  2. Definitely worthwhile. Get your mates to do it too.

In some countries, first aid is a mandatory part of the license process. I wish that applied in Australia.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. #3 Geoff3DMN, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    I haven't bothered recently because I'm required to have current HLTAID001, HLTAID002, HLTAID003 & HLTF311A certifications for my job but the one I went along to a few years back, it was err unimpressive.

I think that it would be better for the motorcycle courses to include basic first aid certification as part of the training with motobike specific content added on top and having the course delivered by an RTO approved for first aid training is essential IMO.

NB Allens Training who are doing the course listed above are an RTO and a decent one in my experience but I'd still prefer to see the course combined with basic first aid.
  4. #4 Heli, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    The drawback with First Aid for Motorcyclists is that it is not an approved course and comes with no accreditation. I use ASMA/Allens Training, they are the only ones around that I know who do an accredited course.
  5. I did mine through ASMA (Accident Scene Management Australia) the First aid cert was done through Allens Training. The course included other aspects of managing an accident scene including traffic management, safety of the other people on the scene etc. Taught by a paramedic it was fairly good. I got a lot out of it. There were a few other Netriders who did the course on the same day.
  6. Not too worried about accreditation, as this is just for my own education, and in my experience any accreditation corporate/government box-ticking exercise hugely inflates prices (as I said, cost is definitely an issue for me). My main concern is the usefulness of what's taught.

Geoff3DMNGeoff3DMN so you didn't think the content of the FAFM courses was up to much? Not even for a first-aid newbie?
  7. I thought they tried to cover too much ground and in doing so they didn't cover the essentials very well.
  8. OK, thanks.
  9. Rather than inflate the price, AMSA have managed to get TAC funding to reduce the price substantially. Another benefit of being accredited!
  10. OK, nice. So TAC do something useful after all! Shame I'm not in Vic :(
  11. I'd strongly recommend a basic one day ASMA - Accident Scene Management course.
    You can find subsidized courses for as low as $30 and you get a first aid certificate out of it.

I had a level 2 first aid certificate before entering the course and was shocked how different it is to conventional first aid.
    ie The first thing you learn in regular first aid is Headback, compression's which is the worst and opposite thing you can do in a motorcycle crash

You also learn specific skills like how to secure the scene of a crash, safely and correctly take off helmets, move a patient off the road and how to treat motorcycle specific injuries such as roadrash as opposed to snakebites in regular first aid.
  12. That's 2 recommendations for ASMA, which does look good. Their current calendar only shows courses in Vic and Tas, but I'll keep an eye out.
  13. This is surprising. I have not done a motorcycle first aid course but I have done a lot of first aid training. I assume this is to do with possible spinal injuries or head trauma?

If I find someone, motorcycle helmet or not, and they aren't breathing, I will be making sure they have a clear airway. If they have no pulse, I will start CPR & EAR. To me, alive with a possible spinal is preferable to dead with a pristine spine.

If they are breathing ok then you shouldn't have a need to remove their helmet. I'd leave that to the paramedics when they arrive.

Happy to be corrected by any medical professionals that may be lurking. I am certainly not one.
  14. Would be good to see basic road accident first aid as a requirement for car or motorcycle licenses. If there is a motorcycle / car collision, it's unlikely that it will be the motorcyclist who will be giving the first aid treatment.

Wishful thinking I know, but dreams are free.
  15. Yes we were taught, obstructions in breathing, cardiac or respiratory failure takes precedence. Otherwise don't remove the helmet. If it becomes necessary to remove the helmet then methods while maintaining spinal and neck immobilisation are taught in the ASMA course.
  16. You are certainly correct about if they are not breathing then to do everything possible.
    The instructor was more targeting that quote at First responders immediately ripping helmets off, putting riders into the recovery positions with the head back and unnecessarily starting cpr...often resulting in seriously injured but alive rider having their neck broken, organs damaged and further spine damage while what they needed was someone to just loosen the helmets straps and stop bleeding while the ambulance arrived.

Its the same first-aid, just different applications.
  17. Nicholai_ChevNicholai_Chev - gotcha.

Yes. A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.
  18. I've done the ASMA course run by Allens. I though it was quite informative, not only the patient side of things but also the management of a crash site.

Unfortunately or fortunately it came in useful only a couple weeks later. I was quite amazed how people just stand around doing nothing whilst on a completely blind corner!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Unfortunately many have become paralyzed by the fear of getting sued if they might be doing the wrong thing, even if they had the best intentions
  20. Yes, this is unfortunate, most jurisdictions have good Samaritan laws that protect you if you help someone. Provided you act within your training you are safe.